Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western United Pioneers????

I was a little worried about this until I saw the name. I'm not one for unification as I don't think we're doing it for the right reasons. Sounds like this whole thing was driven by wanting to get back at startup BIG club(s) by members on both boards. But, if this is any indication of how things will be, looks like Western will keep their name and the poor pios will be just a suffix whose fields Western can use. As it should be, as Western has a huge advantage with more qualified people on their board, better players and more qualified coaches.

Difficult times require difficult and creative solutions. Good for them. I heard it was going to be "Western Pioneers United".

Comment

I am thrilled with the merger and believe it is in the best interest of the serious soccer talent in WM. Keep the money in WM, develope and maintain fields, keep the talent in WM and start making teams for WM not as a talent pool to be plucked from and made to play in EM.

Comment

WESTERN United Pioneers

What does the name actually matter? Last I checked it was Western MA Junior Pioneers. Western is the common denominator in this name uniting two great organizations.
        What matters is talent will be pooled together. That includes players AND coaches.

Comment

Will the mixing of the rosters start in the fall?

Comment

Good for Pioneers

I think this is great for the Pioneer teams that remain as finally they will have someone that has a clue in leadership positions. Current leadership is uneducated, unethical and clueless... not a good combination in a setting for young player development. They always had the facilities but have lacked sorely in qualified leadership. Hopefully board members go through the same scrutiny and qualifications (ie who has what soccer & business knowledge, experience, etc) in selecting new board, and hopefully mostly Western members. Never mind sports management, some current Pio members have trouble spelling their own name. That way not only the best players, coaches but also leadership is pooled. And, IT IS Western United Pios... Western Pioneers United would just make too much sense.
            Let the bargaining games begin... so far, Western 1 - Pios 0

Comment

My son who is of the HS age has had the most unbelievable productive experiences with his Jr. P coach. This man is not only experienced but a fantastic coach and great role model- so not all negative. Like anything some see good and some see bad but don't lump everything when you haven't experienced it all.

The DOC of WU seems clear minded and with a plan. He is more than qualified in the soccer world and appears to understand the needs we are up against so why not.

I agree with the poster who said keep it in Western Mass.

Comment

You Got the score wrong!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                I think this is great for the Pioneer teams that remain as finally they will have someone that has a clue in leadership positions. Current leadership is uneducated, unethical and clueless... not a good combination in a setting for young player development. They always had the facilities but have lacked sorely in qualified leadership. Hopefully board members go through the same scrutiny and qualifications (ie who has what soccer & business knowledge, experience, etc) in selecting new board, and hopefully mostly Western members. Never mind sports management, some current Pio members have trouble spelling their own name. That way not only the best players, coaches but also leadership is pooled. And, IT IS Western United Pios... Western Pioneers United would just make too much sense.
                Let the bargaining games begin... so far, Western 1 - Pios 0
                Western 1= Pioneers 1 Stars West 0

Great for Western Mass Soccer. A big line in the sand has been drawn in the sand through Worcester.

Comment

Western 1= Pioneers 1 Stars West 0

Great for Western Mass Soccer. A big line in the sand has been drawn in the sand through Worcester.
                  Unfortunately for Western and Pios Stars West has already eaten their lunch on the girls side. They can battle back but at U13-16 they have already poached much of the Western MA talent. Its RL's game to win or lose. So far he is winning. On the boys side, this merger makes a lot of sense. We have both of the boys teams in my son's age division and if they combined, they would certainly be a top team.

Comment

Just an idea

Unfortunately for Western and Pios Stars West has already eaten their lunch on the girls side. They can battle back but at U13-16 they have already poached much of the Western MA talent. Its RL's game to win or lose. So far he is winning. On the boys side, this merger makes a lot of sense. We have both of the boys teams in my son's age division and if they combined, they would certainly be a top team.
                    Maybe this will be a good outlet to any boys teams that are very strong and want to stay together to move to Stars if this merger doesn't work out for some teams/players/coaches??

Comment

Has already happend

Maybe this will be a good outlet to any boys teams that are very strong and want to stay together to move to Stars if this merger doesn't work out for some teams/players/coaches??
                      There has been some interest with some teams already. Heard both clubs are keeping evreything very quiet to their coaches. Not a good idea. Teams are already making plans.

Comment

Wouldn't Stars love this. From what I can see from records the boys Western teams are all better than the boys Stars teams, except at U15.

Stars West... soon to be the NEFC of western MA. Oh boy, I can't wait.

Comment

Should be interesting

Wouldn't Stars love this. From what I can see from records the boys Western teams are all better than the boys Stars teams, except at U15.

Stars West... soon to be the NEFC of western MA. Oh boy, I can't wait.
                          Merger is a great idea but I do agree that if they are keeping coaches uninformed about what will happen with this merger and some coaches will not have a place to coach, I too would be concerned and would be making plans. If my sons coach is not going to be coaching next fall and he asked us to go with him to another club you bet we would! My son loves his coach! And I am pretty sure most all the parents and players would follow. Can't wait to see what happens.

Comment

Merger is a great idea but I do agree that if they are keeping coaches uninformed about what will happen with this merger and some coaches will not have a place to coach, I too would be concerned and would be making plans. If my sons coach is not going to be coaching next fall and he asked us to go with him to another club you bet we would! My son loves his coach! And I am pretty sure most all the parents and players would follow. Can't wait to see what happens.
                            This is a big issue as most kids are aligned more directly with their coach and team and not their club. On the girls side Pioneers have some pretty brutal coaches. I can't see any of the Western parents thinking it a great idea to play for those coaches. Most chose Western over Pio's, in large part, to avoid those coaches. The new club needs to announce the merger AND post coaching assignments and the # of teams for each sex and age group they believe they can field. Not knowing and uncertainty will cause defections that could have been avoided if they stay mum until June tryouts.

No solution will be perfect, but an ANNOUNCED plan (very soon) which players, families and coaches can make decisions based upon is the best way to go. Remember that we have all been thru a very similar situation last year with the Stars West debacle and having gone thru that, I can only say all the cards should be on the table for all of the players is far better then guessing, speculation and rumor. You won't please everybody and some tough decisions will need to be made, but at least everybody will know what the plan is and can make the best decision for their own family and player.

Comment

Will never happen on the Pio's side

This is a big issue as most kids are aligned more directly with their coach and team and not their club. On the girls side Pioneers have some pretty brutal coaches. I can't see any of the Western parents thinking it a great idea to play for those coaches. Most chose Western over Pio's, in large part, to avoid those coaches. The new club needs to announce the merger AND post coaching assignments and the # of teams for each sex and age group they believe they can field. Not knowing and uncertainty will cause defections that could have been avoided if they stay mum until June tryouts.

No solution will be perfect, but an ANNOUNCED plan (very soon) which players, families and coaches can make decisions based upon is the best way to go. Remember that we have all been thru a very similar situation last year with the Stars West debacle and having gone thru that, I can only say all the cards should be on the table for all of the players is far better then guessing, speculation and rumor. You won't please everybody and some tough decisions will need to be made, but at least everybody will know what the plan is and can make the best decision for their own family and player.
                              Great points! But impossible. Pio's would never conduct themselves in that manner. Everything is always behind the scenes with this club, thus why they have so many coaches and teams fleeing. Agree that parents and players are loyal to the coach and the other players on the team and not the club itself. As a parent, if my son has to try-out in June and we still do not know what is going on I will contact his coach to see if there are any other options. I would never have my son try-out for something I don't know what he is trying out for!! I don't think many parents will and espeically at the younger ages. Not going to happen. If the clubs think they don't owe that to the parents because they have the upper hand they are very wrong and this is where it could all backfire. Stars West and many other smaller clubs are dying to take teams on. especially on the boys side.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X