Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you know?

I see plenty of posts on here mocking anyone who cares about "u little" games. Then I see plenty more mocking parents of older kids who aren't playing ECNL or DA. Or if they are, making comments about kids who are on the bench. So, my question is, at what age do you KNOW, or should you know, if your kid has "it"? U11 is too little but by U13, if they're not seeing a ton of playing time on an ECNL team, parents are just wasting time and money. What's the magic age then? U12?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I see plenty of posts on here mocking anyone who cares about "u little" games. Then I see plenty more mocking parents of older kids who aren't playing ECNL or DA. Or if they are, making comments about kids who are on the bench. So, my question is, at what age do you KNOW, or should you know, if your kid has "it"? U11 is too little but by U13, if they're not seeing a ton of playing time on an ECNL team, parents are just wasting time and money. What's the magic age then? U12?
    The biggest problem here, is that everybody defines “it” differently. The soccer elitists with kids going full ride to D1 schools, think only that outcome is “it”. And then there the more balanced view that “it” Would constitute a varsity starter, and someone who will continue to play soccer in college at any level. I would say, that if your kid is continually moving up the ranks to hire teams, and better leagues by the time they are you 13 you are already in the top percentages of youth socce would constitute a varsity starter, and someone who will continue to play soccer in college at any level. I would say, that if your kid is continually moving up the ranks and can get to to an NPL, ECNL, or DA team by U13, And they are already in the top few percent of our youth soccer players. Does that mean they a lock for a college scholarship? Nope, not at all. But it will at least separate them and put them on a better track to play in college (again, if that is how you define “it”). Some of those kids will drop out, & drop off etc, but as a whole, getting there by U13/U14 is a pretty good indicator.

If you are only defining the rare NT unicorns as having “it” ... It has been my experience that you can tell pretty early on. I have seen a few of the national team level players play when they were U10, and they were head & shoulders above EVERYONE at that young age, and were recognized nationally by U12. The few I have personal interactions with all had college offers by 8th/9th grades (speaking of girls here, as that is highly uncommon on boys side).

Comment

The biggest problem here, is that everybody defines “it” differently. The soccer elitists with kids going full ride to D1 schools, think only that outcome is “it”. And then there the more balanced view that “it” Would constitute a varsity starter, and someone who will continue to play soccer in college at any level. I would say, that if your kid is continually moving up the ranks and can get to to an NPL, ECNL, or DA team by U13, And they are already in the top few percent of our youth soccer players. Does that mean they are a lock for a college scholarship? Nope, not at all. But it will at least separate them and put them on a better track to play in college (again, if that is how you define “it”). Some of those kids will drop out, & drop off etc, but as a whole, getting there by U13/U14 is a pretty good indicator.

If you are only defining the rare NT unicorns as having “it” ... It has been my experience that you can tell pretty early on. I have seen a few of the national team level players play when they were U10, and they were head & shoulders above EVERYONE at that young age, and were recognized nationally by U12. The few I have personal interactions with all had college offers by 8th/9th grades (speaking of girls here, as that is highly uncommon on boys side).
      I cleaned up my voice text mess that was in my original post. Sorry.

Comment

Agree. You need to define what "it" is before you can tell if someone has it. That's a sliding scale.

I will say I never expected my kid to amount to much on the pitch. Was just a rec player, and after one year of club she was ready to drop it and I wasn't going to stop her. She stuck with it, gradually improving.

As she gets to high school, she is not the same mess of a player she was. Some who were stars early on are not now.

But, to be truthful, if "it" is D1 only, she still isn't there and will never be.

Comment

The biggest problem here, is that everybody defines “it” differently. The soccer elitists with kids going full ride to D1 schools, think only that outcome is “it”. And then there the more balanced view that “it” Would constitute a varsity starter, and someone who will continue to play soccer in college at any level. I would say, that if your kid is continually moving up the ranks to hire teams, and better leagues by the time they are you 13 you are already in the top percentages of youth socce would constitute a varsity starter, and someone who will continue to play soccer in college at any level. I would say, that if your kid is continually moving up the ranks and can get to to an NPL, ECNL, or DA team by U13, And they are already in the top few percent of our youth soccer players. Does that mean they a lock for a college scholarship? Nope, not at all. But it will at least separate them and put them on a better track to play in college (again, if that is how you define “it”). Some of those kids will drop out, & drop off etc, but as a whole, getting there by U13/U14 is a pretty good indicator.

That is very very early. Many examples of that level of interest and play not being sustained as players grow older.

Comment

Agree. You need to define what "it" is before you can tell if someone has it. That's a sliding scale.

I will say I never expected my kid to amount to much on the pitch. Was just a rec player, and after one year of club she was ready to drop it and I wasn't going to stop her. She stuck with it, gradually improving.

As she gets to high school, she is not the same mess of a player she was. Some who were stars early on are not now.

But, to be truthful, if "it" is D1 only, she still isn't there and will never be.

Couldn't agree more. My younger son started out in town...nothing special. We were referred to a good club coach who said that it doesn't matter what kind of player you are now...it's that you keep working hard and improving every year. Kids that are good early aren't always good later. This was great feedback and my son works hard and he has gone from Town-->Maple-->NEP--> ECNL. Is he a D1 player? I wouldn't think he is there yet but he is only a freshman.

Kids (and parents) need to understand that working hard (even if it is just kicking a ball against a wall or in the back yard) is the most important thing. The BIGGEST waste of money, in my opinion, is paying for club and then the kid only touches the ball while at the 1.5 hour practice 2x per week.

Comment

We have a huge problem in the US that girls get wrongly propped up or down by U11 due to size and speed without forecasting where they will be 3-4 years later after having gone through puberty. By 9th grade a player can be more accurately evaluated on athleticism, tactical and technical aptitude, speed, size, and work rate. Even then, so many players never get ID’d properly because of soccer’s monitized structure which filter out players with potential in their younger years.

Comment

Great breakdown.

I have experienced this with my own daughter. She started at the rec level and was one of the standouts, we moved on to the Town team by U8. She excelled and was ready to move on after a couple years. We then moved on to middle level club team, where again she excelled and was ready for a higher level after a couple years. We have since moved on to a bigger club and a higher level (NPL). She has been playing on this team since U13 and is probably top 2-3 player on her team.

In the last couple years, soccer has become less of a priority and she has become interested in other sports, friends, etc. I believe she is capable of playing at the highest level (ECNL or DA) but I don't think she wants to make that commitment, which is okay with me. She will be starting HS this year and will most likely be starter on the varsity team. I can see her potentially, if she continues to develop as a player, playing at a lower tier D1 school or higher level D2 school.

Comment

When do you know

1. When your kid practices soccer skills by them selves. When your kid gets their friends together and plays pick up soccer.

2. When your kid can't wait to go to practice . They get better every practice

3. When your kid applies what they learn in practice in a game situation. They don't just boot the ball. They can play with two feet and love assists or a great defensive stop as much as scoring

4. When your kid can play with older kids and they are still one of the better players.

Comment

When do you know

1. When your kid practices soccer skills by them selves. When your kid gets their friends together and plays pick up soccer.

2. When your kid can't wait to go to practice . They get better every practice

3. When your kid applies what they learn in practice in a game situation. They don't just boot the ball. They can play with two feet and love assists or a great defensive stop as much as scoring

4. When your kid can play with older kids and they are still one of the better players.
                    This describes my son. He will never play D1 soccer.

Comment

Who says D1 soccer is it

Comment

Life's too short, no one has mentioned enjoyment/love, which is a factor

Comment

Athletically an important turning point is when players transition to the bigger 11v11 field (u11 or u12 depending league). Some players don't make that transition well. Players that stood out on a small field suddenly melt away to average. The 2nd transition point is puberty. Puberty is not always kind to girls (big hips, big boobs). For boys the timing is more staggered. A smaller late bloomer can get left behind because coaches here tend to favor larger, faster kids. Sometimes they'll shoot up 6" in what feels like a week and they can be very awkward and gangly for awhile.

Emotionally the middle school years also separate the wheat from the chafe. It's very common to lose interest in the sport, start focusing on other sports or interests. To reach the highest levels of play or maybe eventually play in college you have to work hard at it. Plenty of skilled players just aren't motivated to do put in the extra effort.

Comment

Describes my daughter as well.

Comment

My magic age was 30 when I was able to play with and understand much better players.
                              I may have lost steps, but nobody outthinks me now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X