Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High school aged players - extra conditioning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High school aged players - extra conditioning?

What types of extra conditioning (fitness) programs should HS aged female players do? My daughter wants to increase her endurance and overall fitness to play a full game easily.

It doesn’t have to be fancy. You build endurance by doing. Have your daughter start by spending an hour a day on a life cycle. When she conquers that go to an elliptical.

Comment

Depends on what she wants to get out of it. If it's just general fitness then simply doing a variety of different types of exercises (endurance, weight training, even online workouts that focus on different muscle groups) is sufficient. If you have a few $ to spare seek a quality trainer who can design a fitness program that suits her needs and goals, preferably one that works with high school and college athletes. Some can even give her plans that don't require being in a gym in all the time. It can be $ well spent. Two of my kids (one soccer, one not) went this route and the trainer gave them very specific exercises to work on say quickness starting a sprint, or pinpointed a weird running habit one had developed and changed it. For girls, exercises to reduce knee issues is also key.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What types of extra conditioning (fitness) programs should HS aged female players do? My daughter wants to increase her endurance and overall fitness to play a full game easily.
        Go for a run.

Comment

Go for a run.
          Actually, word today is that just running is not encouraged for training. Just a straightforward activity just beats on your knees and doesn't replicate very much game activity.

Comment

Depends on what she wants to get out of it. If it's just general fitness then simply doing a variety of different types of exercises (endurance, weight training, even online workouts that focus on different muscle groups) is sufficient. If you have a few $ to spare seek a quality trainer who can design a fitness program that suits her needs and goals, preferably one that works with high school and college athletes. Some can even give her plans that don't require being in a gym in all the time. It can be $ well spent. Two of my kids (one soccer, one not) went this route and the trainer gave them very specific exercises to work on say quickness starting a sprint, or pinpointed a weird running habit one had developed and changed it. For girls, exercises to reduce knee issues is also key.
            Very helpful. Thanks.

Comment

General area you are in? There a lot of good, reputable strength and conditioning places that provide sport specific training; there are also a few bad ones...

Comment

Not the OP, but I'd love suggestions in the Acton area (willing to drive some) for 14 and 15 year old boys. They both could use help with running mechanics to increase speed.

Comment

While Jogging ,treadmill, etc, for 1 hour have general benefits, a soccer player will get better conditioning from activities that emulate soccer - Sprint >Jog >Sprint >Jog. You want "Burst" type activities as part of soccer conditioning

Comment

Not the OP, but I'd love suggestions in the Acton area (willing to drive some) for 14 and 15 year old boys. They both could use help with running mechanics to increase speed.
                    I took my son to an outfit called Parisi. They were too far away from us to use on a regular basis but I paid for an evaluation of his running technique that proved to be quite helpful. He was able to take their feedback and incorporate it into his workout routine. The nearest to you in the Acton area is Smithfield RI or Epping, NH. https://www.parisischool.com/.

Comment

Overall Fitness

My children increased strength, endurance, and increased core strength by joining the the high school swim team last year. What a difference it made the following spring. The best part was that they used different muscle groupings, less impact on the legs, and increased lung capacity which increased endurance. Also when they did do soccer specific training in off season they did it with an O2 mask on which also increased endurance.

Comment

If you are on TS asking for fitness programs for a high school female athlete, I think you should ask her first to see if she even wants to play at a higher level than she plays at now. its obvious that she could take it or leave it or she is happy with her choice of level she fits on her team, otherwise she would push herself with technics that she has already been taught to her or ask her coach for a routine that would help her to achieve her goal. Stop the hovering and LISTEN to your athlete when you ask.

Comment

I took my son to an outfit called Parisi. They were too far away from us to use on a regular basis but I paid for an evaluation of his running technique that proved to be quite helpful. He was able to take their feedback and incorporate it into his workout routine. The nearest to you in the Acton area is Smithfield RI or Epping, NH. https://www.parisischool.com/.
                          I am not familiar with this particular place, but I'll add for many of these types of places not only are they looking at form to help speed but also to correct "imbalance" or running /cutting habits that lead to knee or ankle injuries.

Comment

If you are on TS asking for fitness programs for a high school female athlete, I think you should ask her first to see if she even wants to play at a higher level than she plays at now. its obvious that she could take it or leave it or she is happy with her choice of level she fits on her team, otherwise she would push herself with technics that she has already been taught to her or ask her coach for a routine that would help her to achieve her goal. Stop the hovering and LISTEN to your athlete when you ask.
                            The poster did say his daughter wanted it. But thanks for the douche response. There always has to be at least one per thread.

Comment

The poster did say his daughter wanted it. But thanks for the douche response. There always has to be at least one per thread.
                              Op here. Appreciate the helpful responses. And as an FYI, my daughter isn’t an elite athlete. She just wants to improve her fitness because she’s puberty and the changes to her body has negatively impacted her overall fitness - some attributes that came easy to her before aren’t so easy now. If she wants to improve her overall fitness, and she does, doesn’t require Amy other reason than she wants to fit herself. There are A LOT of reasons a player might not want to talk to her coach about it too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X