Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you wrote. Honestly, no one can. But perhaps you'll concede, without that pack of "very different animals" there is no problem on the other side. My point of why the initial comment is true stems from all of the power, and therefore ownership of the problems that follow, is with the consumer/parent.
    So long as money is involved and the primary goal for clubs, some parents will either directly or indirectly use it as a tool.

Now if you had club soccer run by non greedy independently wealthy people solely focused on the altruistic goal of identifying and developing the best talent it would solve all issues. There would be no business side of it, it would render the meddling parent impotent.

I guess I feel on the club side the money is the bigger issue and then all the sh$! parents would focus their efforts on ruining town soccer.

Thoughts? I realize it’s a fantasy and you’d be more likely to attract pedophiles than independently wealthy altruistic people.

Comment

yes parents should go through those steps. But, even after doing all their due diligence, things happen that parents can't control...
      And as you cite every imaginable exception, your point is what exactly beyond stating the obvious that something undesirable outside of your control could and sometimes does happen? Is the point to say don't bother to perform due diligence in this manner? Is it that you might as well show up at tryouts blind having done nothing to build rapport with a coach you've investigated and your kid has connected with, etc.? Is it don't go to tryouts because you might get hit by a bus after you pull out of the driveway?

Comment

So long as money is involved and the primary goal for clubs, some parents will either directly or indirectly use it as a tool.

Now if you had club soccer run by non greedy independently wealthy people solely focused on the altruistic goal of identifying and developing the best talent it would solve all issues. There would be no business side of it, it would render the meddling parent impotent.

I guess I feel on the club side the money is the bigger issue and then all the sh$! parents would focus their efforts on ruining town soccer.

Thoughts? I realize it’s a fantasy and you’d be more likely to attract pedophiles than independently wealthy altruistic people.
        Again, I don't suppose I disagree much...except on the one point. The business side is ugly, sure, but the parents drive the crazy bus.

Comment

As I said, and I speak from my own experience, the very next things to do are accepting that life isn't fair, work harder, get better.

Do better due diligence in choosing the coach your kid would be playing for. And make no mistake, I wrote those words deliberately, if you sent your kid to try out for a club rather than a coach, and your due diligence didn't focus on the coach, then it's your fault, by your own ignorance of the process or not that put yourself and your kid in this spot. Again, I've been there, done it, and solved the problem.

Any discussion that the parent coach is inherently the problem is at best misguided in avoiding it to begin with or solving it now.
          That might the case for club but what kind of due diligence and options are there if the kid plays in HS and goes to WH?

Comment

Again, I don't suppose I disagree much...except on the one point. The business side is ugly, sure, but the parents drive the crazy bus.
            Agree. Parents crazy. Clubs trying to make $. Checkbook is the key to the bus.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X