Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It was not clear from the jump that Cordeiro or Carter was going to win. How did you know how they were going to vote? No one did. It was not until Feb 8 when the MLS and NWSL voting delegates announced that 20% of the overall vote in US Soccer election would go to Kathy Carter. This was the first real indicator that the status quo (either Cordiero or Carter) was going to be the pick.
    I suppose I should have said it was clear to me that C or C was going to win. I would’ve been stunned had it gone any other way.

Comment

Fact check. Pro Council had 24.1 % of the votes. They were always going to support the SUM and Gulati candidate Kathy Carter. With Pro Councils 24.1% in her pocket she only need 27% to win.
      close enough for TS and to make the point.

Comment

close enough for TS and to make the point.
        20% off ...

Doesn't really matter when they publicaly announced the support of the SUM president the Pro Council was always going to support the MLS candidate. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive

Comment

Super bummed and sad for the future of US Soccer. The status quo won.
          I guess that means they won't fire Tony LePore. They'll hire technical director with the same mentality. No relegation anywhere. No real outreach and support for the poverty stricken masses many of whom possess a real love of soccer.

Wonderful.

Comment

I guess that means they won't fire Tony LePore. They'll hire technical director with the same mentality. No relegation anywhere. No real outreach and support for the poverty stricken masses many of whom possess a real love of soccer.

Wonderful.
            yeah his Technical director certainly won't be Eric Wynalda!

Comment

Fact check. Pro Council had 24.1 % of the votes. They were always going to support the SUM and Gulati candidate Kathy Carter. With Pro Councils 24.1% in her pocket she only need 27% to win.
              If SUM remains the same then there will be no significant changes.

Comment

Wonderful.
                Poverty stricken masses manage to play the game everywhere else in the world.
                Tired old argument-let it go

Comment

Look into the youth training received by the members of the last winning world cup team. Worth a pretty penny.

Comment

Your first sentence is true. The difference is that in many of nhose countries they do a heck of a good job recognizing talent and bringing them to the top teams very early.

This is not done is this country. Some token grassroots work here and there but nothing of the level that really needs to happen. Tremendous untapped talent just being let go.

Comment

It’s all about the money. Our country is ruled by greed and the greedy.

Comment

Futbal a viable career in Europe

Futbal is a recognized occupation with real wages in Europe, hence if 'a' poverty stricken mass manages academic ability, he has a path to becoming professional (for free), including residential and full time training.

USA uses soccer as a path to college access and relegates not the players and academies, but the sites to outskirts such as foxboro for the most part as a stepchild of American Football on substandard turf fields. Less affluent Potential players have no means to access these far off hinter lands nor is the training time sufficient to enable them to become pros. The market is also not sufficient to support these players in the USA until soccer-only stadiums become the norm in cities where the enthused populace would be able to participate.

Comment

Futbal is a recognized occupation with real wages in Europe, hence if 'a' poverty stricken mass manages academic ability, he has a path to becoming professional (for free), including residential and full time training.

USA uses soccer as a path to college access and relegates not the players and academies, but the sites to outskirts such as foxboro for the most part as a stepchild of American Football on substandard turf fields. Less affluent Potential players have no means to access these far off hinter lands nor is the training time sufficient to enable them to become pros. The market is also not sufficient to support these players in the USA until soccer-only stadiums become the norm in cities where the enthused populace would be able to participate.
                          Not until academies can profit more from home growns and MLS clubs become residential (so MLS clubs can expand their reach and players can train together more often) do we even have a chance of improving soccer and making it a more egalitarian sport. But it will never happen. MLS clubs have thin margins and paying to educate a bunch of kids isn't in their pro formas

Comment

Not until academies can profit more from home growns and MLS clubs become residential (so MLS clubs can expand their reach and players can train together more often) do we even have a chance of improving soccer and making it a more egalitarian sport. But it will never happen. MLS clubs have thin margins and paying to educate a bunch of kids isn't in their pro formas
                            That's why the business men need to run the show. The money has to come largely from ticket sales.

Comment

That's why the business men need to run the show. The money has to come largely from ticket sales.
                              Which comes from fans in the stands and fans buying merch. We don't have a soccer culture in this country. A few cities have developed a solid base (eg Seattle) but in most markets soccer is the #4 activity people want to spend their money on, if that. Good luck to him.

Comment

Candidate gets it right. Soccer in other cultures/countries is tribal.
                                We can whine all we want about "them" as if the governing powers are to blame.
                                No amount of system tweaking will fix the fact that our best athletes are not playing playground soccer. We have "very good" athletes playing organized soccer. Until soccer is played by urban, suburban, and rural children with equal access and heightened vigor, it will remain the case that our 2nd Tier athletes represent US Soccer (or Europeans with US passports).

I am not saying your boy is clumsy, nor am i saying soccer players are not world class athletes. I am only saying that US Soccer is not attracting the US' BEST athletes. On the boys side most of the best aspire to be "ballers", and on the girls side the poor need not apply
                                This addresses the point fairly well, but if I may... Do you really think, as a matter of population and participation, that the USA isn't drawing a sufficient number of world-class athletes to soccer? Again, I think you frame it all fairly well, but...

Is the real issue and fix here that Spain isn't losing their Lebron James to basketball and instead their culture retains him in soccer, but ours doesn't? Is it really that too often every Steve Nash is choosing the NBA over MLS? I'd like to work Chris Hogan playing lacrosse but finding a paycheck in the NFL somehow, but that for another discussion I guess.

I think the primary problem is culture, but what that means isn't mostly about changing whomever the participants might be, but instead changing the development experience of whomever those participants might be. This is not a distinction without a difference. All the Lebron James born in Spain and growing up playing soccer there amounts to a different output than if all of them born in the USA magically played soccer.

"No amount of system tweaking will fix the fact that the entirety of our young players, whether our best athletes are among them or not, are not playing playground soccer as part of the soccer culture."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X