Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournaments & Hotel Booking

I have a quick question since I am very new to the world of tournaments. My child's team is playing in the EDP Fall Cup in october and the club sent a note to book a specific hotel. Is there a rule that you have to stay at the hotel that is linked to the tournament? Or is it kind of a club specific question?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a quick question since I am very new to the world of tournaments. My child's team is playing in the EDP Fall Cup in october and the club sent a note to book a specific hotel. Is there a rule that you have to stay at the hotel that is linked to the tournament? Or is it kind of a club specific question?
    you absolutely do NOT have to stay at the same hotel. if the rest of the team is at that hotel, it may be suggested (for bonding, etc). otherwise just get the best deal and comfort possible.

Comment

Some tournaments demand that you stay at their "official" hotels, basically because the tournament organizers get a kickback from the hotels. So while it may be the club making this demand, it is most likely the tournament that is really doing so.

In practice the tournament organizers will throw a big stink if entire teams didn't use the official hotels but stragglers can usually stay wherever they want unnoticed.

Personally, I would never go to a tournament with such a requirement if it were my decision.

Comment

Yea it is the kiddo's first year in more competitive soccer and I am assuming we'll end up with the team at the "reco'd" hotel. Just was curious because if the rate is obscene i want to be able to wait it out and book where i want later if possible. This "club" endeavor is already getting enough money from me!

Comment

Yea it is the kiddo's first year in more competitive soccer and I am assuming we'll end up with the team at the "reco'd" hotel. Just was curious because if the rate is obscene i want to be able to wait it out and book where i want later if possible. This "club" endeavor is already getting enough money from me!
          Depending on size of tournament you maybe locked out of good choices. You will probably pay slightly more to stay at tournament hotel but kids and parents get benefit of bonding with others on the team. You usually get a decent hotel

Comment

Depending on size of tournament you maybe locked out of good choices. You will probably pay slightly more to stay at tournament hotel but kids and parents get benefit of bonding with others on the team. You usually get a decent hotel
            Agreed that it's nice to stay with the team for the bonding and also simplicity if say you're running late and your kid needs to jump in a teammates car to get to the fields. Rates are usually slightly higher. Some you have to use their list and then your team manager or club will list all the families staying - then you can often cancel with the hotel on the side later.

Some high level events blackmail you to stay at one of their "partner" hotels. You have to book through an agency and the agency makes sure your team has (usually) at least 10-11 rooms booked (they know some players will travel with other families). Everyone is getting a piece$ so rates are higher. They threaten that if you don't make the requirement the team can be booted from the event. Hence why I used the word blackmail. We just had one and I had to change the hotel for logistics with teammates. Within half an hour they had emailed me asking why I'd canceled and reminding me of the policy. Once I showed them I had booked another from their list they backed off. However, we got in terribly late and the booking guaranteed my room at what turned out to be a very overbooked hotel. So in the end it worked even though it's an annoying and possibly not quite legal thing to do.

Comment

I have looked up the recommend hotel on hotels.com and got it for a cheaper rate a couple of times. We were not in the same area as the rest of the team, but more than worth it.

Comment

I have looked up the recommend hotel on hotels.com and got it for a cheaper rate a couple of times. We were not in the same area as the rest of the team, but more than worth it.
                If you really have to save money so be it. But you will probably find your player is disappointed they can't hang out with teammates, run around the hotel together etc. It's a big part of the experience.

Comment

If you really have to save money so be it. But you will probably find your player is disappointed they can't hang out with teammates, run around the hotel together etc. It's a big part of the experience.
                  So be it is right. Life has lots of disappointments and part of growing up is learning to cope. The travel costs for far flung tournaments are killer. We have survived slumming it in lower cost digs just fine.

Comment

Both kids still hung out with there team mates, swam in the pool, had breakfast together. Our rooms weren't in the same hallway, that is the only difference.

Comment

Both kids still hung out with there team mates, swam in the pool, had breakfast together. Our rooms weren't in the same hallway, that is the only difference.
                      As long as you are in same hotel it's no issue. The issues start when you are across town in a different hotel

Comment

As long as you are in same hotel it's no issue. The issues start when you are across town in a different hotel
                        Usually to save more than a few dollars you have to book at another hotel. The way I look at it is I'm stuck paying big $ for the weekend regardless so $20/night isn't going to make a big difference. If my kids enjoy it and it's more convenient for them to see their friends, fine. Also I don't feel like hanging out with the parents or just need to get some rest I can easily go to my room - if we're staying elsewhere my children have to leave with me.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X