Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not entirely sure where the disconnect is, Valencia is not a member of US Soccer Developmental Academy, or "DA" program as it is commonly referred. I'm not sure where the concern is about Valencia or any other club calling themselves an academy, I wasn't aware the DA's having proprietorship of the word "Academy" considering the DA program itself began in 2007. We need to check the BOTN archives to see if the semantic police were on the case back then. If we continue with that same line of thinking what other language has the DA's taken from us?
    It's just DA snobbery. Many of those parents believe they will get money from soccer to pay for college when investing in educating their child would lead to far more college money. Academic money dwarfs athletic money but some still insist on multi hour commutes to training over studying.

VCF can call themselves whatever they want.

Comment

No it's not about snobbery - it's about clubs taking advantage of parents who don't know any better. The landscape is very confusing to the un-initiated and keeps changing almost annually. Sure technically they can call themselves anything they want, but it's word play intended to capitalize on uneducated parents - kind of like all those "elite" teams out there.

I'm not a DA parent - mine turned down offers because he wanted HS soccer and other sports. Hasn't hurt his recruiting efforts, no long commutes :)

Comment

The term academy originated in Europe (primarily) as a system for youth training. Used by many pro clubs. Then US Soccer wanted to create a league (really, that is all DA is) and decided to call it Development Academy. Then, the DA peeps decided no one else can be an Academy or they are somehow trying to bank on the name. Problem is, that is what US Soccer did at the start.

So, as far as history goes. VCF and Barca in Long Island are more of an Academy than the League run by US Soccer called Development Academy.

Comment

The term academy originated in Europe (primarily) as a system for youth training. Used by many pro clubs. Then US Soccer wanted to create a league (really, that is all DA is) and decided to call it Development Academy. Then, the DA peeps decided no one else can be an Academy or they are somehow trying to bank on the name. Problem is, that is what US Soccer did at the start.

So, as far as history goes. VCF and Barca in Long Island are more of an Academy than the League run by US Soccer called Development Academy.
          Believe what you want to believe in if it makes you feel better playing NPL.

Comment

Best. Post. Today. So. Far. (did i use enough periods?)

we get it..there are crappy individuals out there..however if you are truly somewhat intelligent, you will realize that at the simplest sense of the word.."ACADEMY" is literally a school. so far...correct me if i am wrong, in this sense, all academies outside of the US have produced far superior footballers. so to those of us that can distinguish the difference between DA and (extremely) good schooling, i raise my glass to you. we are so jaded by alot of the nonsense that surrounds US youth soccer, we miss the big picture. what VCF and FCB are trying to do (i think) are change the face of US soccer for the better (we should be welcoming them). and yeh that want to make a buck also...why not?

Comment

It's just DA snobbery. Many of those parents believe they will get money from soccer to pay for college when investing in educating their child would lead to far more college money. Academic money dwarfs athletic money but some still insist on multi hour commutes to training over studying.

VCF can call themselves whatever they want.
              They certainly can call themselves what ever they want. However it's confusing terminology for the new soccer parents. It's our responsibility as parents who have been involved for years to educate the newbies

Comment

I'm adding "academy" to the name of my club and adding a zero to our registration fees.

That's pretty much what a lot of these other "academy" clubs have done and looking at the number of suckers they got to sign up, it works. I'm all in.

Comment

They certainly can call themselves what ever they want. However it's confusing terminology for the new soccer parents. It's our responsibility as parents who have been involved for years to educate the newbies
                  You can't fix stupid.

Comment

I'm adding "academy" to the name of my club and adding a zero to our registration fees.

That's pretty much what a lot of these other "academy" clubs have done and looking at the number of suckers they got to sign up, it works. I'm all in.
                    i do not like the bait you have. Do you have any worms?

nice try,,,thanks for playing!

Comment

i do not like the bait you have. Do you have any worms?

nice try,,,thanks for playing!
                      Man someone's fishing really hard on all these threads lately. Saying stupid nasty stuff. Can we make it mandatory to not be anonymous? Keeps everyone honest !

Comment

Sigh. Why is this denegerating into BOTN posts? Keep the juvenile pathos attacks over there please. I like the logos and ethos exemplified on this board. Adults talking sanely and rationally. Productive dialogue and respectful discussion. I am not ready for "Paradise Lost."

Thank you.

Comment

I can handle the stupidity, what's good about this forum is that you don't have the wizard of oz censoring and editing posts to his liking.

Comment

I can handle the stupidity, what's good about this forum is that you don't have the wizard of oz censoring and editing posts to his liking.
                            I second that!

Comment

I second that!
                              I 3rd that

Comment

Yeah, but I like the civility.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X