Soccer President

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We might as well be talking about why Italy isn't a baseball powerhouse. It's not going to change within a generation. It's taken multiple generations for the rest of the world to be competitive in basketball. It's part of the culture elsewhere, it's not here.

Comment

"I think the primary problem is culture"

True. That's why you meed a business people and clever marketeers to run the show. It will take time (what's the rush?!) but it's getting better.

Comment

fixed typos

True. That's why you need business people and clever marketeers to run the show. It will take time (what's the rush?!) but it's getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

True. That's why you meed a business people and clever marketeers to run the show. It will take time (what's the rush?!) but it's getting better.
          Yeah charging kids more to participate/keeping a middle/upper class sport, not making world competitions (to drum up national support and pride)...that's the ticket to building a soccer nation

Comment

Yeah charging kids more to participate/keeping a middle/upper class sport, not making world competitions (to drum up national support and pride)...that's the ticket to building a soccer nation
            The person who said that it would be a straight line up is selling you a bridge in NYC. Road is paved with ups and downs. Remember we have many sports in this country much much more powerful than soccer. We'll get there.

Comment

Never thought I'd agree with Hope Solo, but she's right

"For those of you who think the state of soccer today is good enough, then you should vote for more of the same," Solo said in a speech quoted by Sports Illustrated.

"I was a player for 20 years, and I saw first-hand what Carlos Cordeiro's idea of change is. You cannot, as a vice president, claim you are the lone voice for change while all of this happened under your watch"

Comment

Never thought I'd agree with Hope Solo, but she's right

"For those of you who think the state of soccer today is good enough, then you should vote for more of the same," Solo said in a speech quoted by Sports Illustrated.

"I was a player for 20 years, and I saw first-hand what Carlos Cordeiro's idea of change is. You cannot, as a vice president, claim you are the lone voice for change while all of this happened under your watch"
                ?? Cordeiro was not in charge then Gulati was the sole decision maker. One thing Cordero said he will change is this one man executive decision type past. He is proposing some good stuff. Let's see if he executes.

Comment

?? Cordeiro was not in charge then Gulati was the sole decision maker. One thing Cordero said he will change is this one man executive decision type past. He is proposing some good stuff. Let's see if he executes.
                  He was the VP. VP has influence in decision making, or should at least. He's been on the board for ten years (prior to that had zero experience with soccer). An insider. Sometimes that works well, sometimes it turns into an even bigger mess.

Comment

Challenges

-taking over an organization that ground to a halt during the elections; acrimony galore
                    - Putting together a joint North American bid for 2026 WC by mid March then campaigning for it
                    - Multiple law suits including ones questioning it's authority over soccer and wage discrimination
                    - New men's team coach and the mess that is men's soccer
                    - Trying to keep multiple competing factions happy (leagues, clubs, players)

It's also an unpaid job. Being rich makes that part easy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/s...-election.html

Comment

Challenges

-taking over an organization that ground to a halt during the elections; acrimony galore
                      - Putting together a joint North American bid for 2026 WC by mid March then campaigning for it
                      - Multiple law suits including ones questioning it's authority over soccer and wage discrimination
                      - New men's team coach and the mess that is men's soccer
                      - Trying to keep multiple competing factions happy (leagues, clubs, players)

It's also an unpaid job. Being rich makes that part easy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/s...-election.html
                      Unpaid job?? Ok, try again. Maybe he didn't receive a salary from US Soccer but I'm sure he was very handsomely compensated by SUM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X