X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    He is only a junior
    Ludlow is loaded with allot of talented juniors. Expect them to be back next year

Comment

Ludlow is loaded with allot of talented juniors. Expect them to be back next year
      They walk thru to the state title again next year because even though they only won 1-0 against Wellesley, they were by far the better soccer team. One flaw (and if Wellesley could have gotten a shot on net maybe they could have exploited it) is that their goalie looks to be about 5'5". I'm sure he's a good athlete and all but he's just not going to get to too many well placed balls.

Comment

What happened

From an EMASS perspective only. Agree with all of the consistent commentary. Year in year out—Bay State eagle overal is toughest. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Comment

What happened?
          Skills won out. And always will.

Blatantly obvious that Ludlow players have spent much more time and consequently have been much better trained in the vital skills of first touch, passing, and foot skills. If that type of mindset was pervasive throughout US soccer, we would be much more competitive worldwide.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2379866]

How was the goal scored.
            Congrats to Ludlow.
            The winning goal was an odd one. About 20 seconds into OT, Ludlow midfielder sent a long ball into the box. Ludlow striker got good position and went up for it--likely to try to bring it down--but it looked like he missed it a bit. Instead, he got enough of it to pop it up and it bounced just over the head of the Wellesley keeper and it crossed the line. I'm not sure it was really an intentional shot, and it was frankly a bit of a fluke goal, but it was a good hustle play by the Ludlow player, and that is how games like this are won. Credit to Ludlow for being ready to go when the whistle blew on OT--it felt a bit like the Wellesley team wasn't quite ready and the Ludlow striker got behind the defense and got it done. Strange ending, but that is how it goes in these games sometimes, esp. in golden goal OT.

As for the game as a whole, I would say that the (slightly) better team won, but it could have gone either way. Ludlow did have multiple good chances in the first 15-20 mins, and could have put the game away then, but the Wellesley keeper kept them in it. After that, Wellesley grew into the game and had longer spells of domination during the end of the first half and most of the second half. (I wouldn't quite call it possession, given the style both teams played). But Wellesley did not really get any great looks--I would credit the Ludlow defenders far more than their keeper (who didn't do anything wrong but wasn't really tested). Lots of blocked shots and crosses, shutting down attacks, and good work clearing threatening balls and corners. Ludlow had some counterattacks, but also few real chances after the first 20 mins of the game. The offsides were not bad ones--Ludlow was trying to make plays, and Wellesley deserves some credit for playing a tight line. In truth, I didn't think any kid stood out on either side (other than maybe the Wellesley keeper in the first half)--not because they aren't good--but because it was a bit of a scrappy hard fought game all over the field, but that's what happens sometimes in championship matches.

In the last 10 mins or so of regulation, Ludlow started to have a bit more possession, with some better attacks, as Wellesley did not seem to be pressing the midfield as much. Maybe it was fatigue--I did not really follow the substitution patterns. Regardless, it felt like Ludlow was on the front foot at the end of regulation. But still no real chances for either team in the entire second half. It felt like the game was headed to PKs. But then there were the 20 seconds of OT and it was suddenly over. Congrats to both teams--hard fought win, and a tough loss to endure.

Comment

Skills won out. And always will.

Blatantly obvious that Ludlow players have spent much more time and consequently have been much better trained in the vital skills of first touch, passing, and foot skills. If that type of mindset was pervasive throughout US soccer, we would be much more competitive worldwide.
              Sorry bud! Don't know what your smoking but one kid on Ludlow had skills. They were kick and Chase!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380048]

The winning goal was an odd one. About 20 seconds into OT, Ludlow midfielder sent a long ball into the box. Ludlow striker got good position and went up for it--likely to try to bring it down--but it looked like he missed it a bit. Instead, he got enough of it to pop it up and it bounced just over the head of the Wellesley keeper and it crossed the line. I'm not sure it was really an intentional shot, and it was frankly a bit of a fluke goal, but it was a good hustle play by the Ludlow player, and that is how games like this are won. Credit to Ludlow for being ready to go when the whistle blew on OT--it felt a bit like the Wellesley team wasn't quite ready and the Ludlow striker got behind the defense and got it done. Strange ending, but that is how it goes in these games sometimes, esp. in golden goal OT.

As for the game as a whole, I would say that the (slightly) better team won, but it could have gone either way. Ludlow did have multiple good chances in the first 15-20 mins, and could have put the game away then, but the Wellesley keeper kept them in it. After that, Wellesley grew into the game and had longer spells of domination during the end of the first half and most of the second half. (I wouldn't quite call it possession, given the style both teams played). But Wellesley did not really get any great looks--I would credit the Ludlow defenders far more than their keeper (who didn't do anything wrong but wasn't really tested). Lots of blocked shots and crosses, shutting down attacks, and good work clearing threatening balls and corners. Ludlow had some counterattacks, but also few real chances after the first 20 mins of the game. The offsides were not bad ones--Ludlow was trying to make plays, and Wellesley deserves some credit for playing a tight line. In truth, I didn't think any kid stood out on either side (other than maybe the Wellesley keeper in the first half)--not because they aren't good--but because it was a bit of a scrappy hard fought game all over the field, but that's what happens sometimes in championship matches.

In the last 10 mins or so of regulation, Ludlow started to have a bit more possession, with some better attacks, as Wellesley did not seem to be pressing the midfield as much. Maybe it was fatigue--I did not really follow the substitution patterns. Regardless, it felt like Ludlow was on the front foot at the end of regulation. But still no real chances for either team in the entire second half. It felt like the game was headed to PKs. But then there were the 20 seconds of OT and it was suddenly over. Congrats to both teams--hard fought win, and a tough loss to endure.
                Sorry (especially after all that writing) but you are nuts. Ludlow was the only team on that field playing soccer. (I'm from the north shore and just went to see a high school championship because it was close by. Reading previous comments and watching Wellesley, I'm guessing they are teaching the game much better in Western Mass.)

...and it's 'offside'. Not 'offsides'. I know it sounds petty but I find it to be a good barometer when gauging someone's soccer acumen.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380071]

Sorry (especially after all that writing) but you are nuts. Ludlow was the only team on that field playing soccer. (I'm from the north shore and just went to see a high school championship because it was close by. Reading previous comments and watching Wellesley, I'm guessing they are teaching the game much better in Western Mass.)

...and it's 'offside'. Not 'offsides'. I know it sounds petty but I find it to be a good barometer when gauging someone's soccer acumen.
                  Kick and Chase floppers ! That's Ludlow in a nutshell!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380078]

Grow up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380078]

Kick and Chase floppers = State Champions
                      That is the 18th state title for Ludlow - maybe some of the other school's should try the "kick and chase" strategy. I'm surprised that the great Wellesley in the toughest league in the state couldn't handle a "kick and run" team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380095]

Kick and Chase floppers = State Champions
                        That is the 18th state title for Ludlow - maybe some of the other school's should try the "kick and chase" strategy. I'm surprised that the great Wellesley in the toughest league in the state couldn't handle a "kick and run" team.
                        High school soccer kick and Chase champs ! No skill no touch no ball control. Just boot it up the field and run on it. Pathetic. Nobody cares about high school state champs who flop their way through games.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380140]

High school soccer kick and Chase champs ! No skill no touch no ball control. Just boot it up the field and run on it. Pathetic. Nobody cares about high school state champs who flop their way through games.

“Ask a bitter man”
                          You sound so upset that I can only assume that your boy is from LS SJP SL.... If you don’t care then why are you posting such disgusted rhetoric?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380140]

Agree no Western ma team is winning state championships for club. Not even close. Clubs in the sticks are terrible and kick and Chase don't cut it. Enjoy your win floppy. That will be the last for a while. It will be a long spring.

Comment

Interesting thing about soccer is that with all the practice of give and goes, careful pointed crosses, and the set plays, most games are won with a ‘fluke’ ‘what the f—-‘ goal. Although it is evident that the more possession the better the chance of having that ‘fluke’ goal....or even a real one, the game can just as quickly be won by the inferior team on a counter, a fluke, or even a good play.
                              This is the reality that I dislike about the game and find it no where else in sports. When you watch/listen to an EPL game, the excitement is in response to good passes and defensive moves. Since the goals are few and far between, the spectator has adapted. Otherwise, it might be the most boring game in the world.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2380146]

“Ask a bitter man”
                                You sound so upset that I can only assume that your boy is from LS SJP SL.... If you don’t care then why are you posting such disgusted rhetoric?
                                Truth hurts floppy!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X