X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's to blame?

Not sure how often this happens?

Was at a U14 Boys game yesterday when a parent from the sideline was asked to leave for threatening the referee. Essentially what was said is that "I'll see you in the parking lot after the game".

It was interesting that from that point forward, it appeared as if the ref and head linesman were very reluctant to make a call that would go against this particular team.

During the game, the parents that remained did not make the job of calling this game easy. After the game, some of these parents purposely walked by the opponents trying to provoke the parents.

1. I hope the refs have the courage to report what happened to the league during the game and, if they felt unsafe, I hope the league pursues this club. To the father who threatened the ref, he should be banned or suspended, just as a coach or player who had been red carded.

2. The club officials, coaches of this team, parents and players should be ashamed for showing disrespect for the game of soccer, coaches, opposing players, refs and creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for all involved.

Re: Who's to blame?

Originally posted by Guest

Was at a U14 Boys game yesterday when a parent from the sideline was asked to leave for threatening the referee. Essentially what was said is that "I'll see you in the parking lot after the game".

It was interesting that from that point forward, it appeared as if the ref and head linesman were very reluctant to make a call that would go against this particular team.

During the game, the parents that remained did not make the job of calling this game easy. After the game, some of these parents purposely walked by the opponents trying to provoke the parents.

1. I hope the refs have the courage to report what happened to the league during the game and, if they felt unsafe, I hope the league pursues this club. To the father who threatened the ref, he should be banned or suspended, just as a coach or player who had been red carded.

2. The club officials, coaches of this team, parents and players should be ashamed for showing disrespect for the game of soccer, coaches, opposing players, refs and creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for all involved.
    Who's to blame? Easy answer. Coaches of these thug parents (great role models aren’t they?) and thug kids. Maple should ban clubs after a second offense. And people wonder and complain why there is a shortage of refs at games.

Comment

Who's to blame? Easy answer. Coaches of these thug parents (great role models aren’t they?) and thug kids. Maple should ban clubs after a second offense. And people wonder and complain why there is a shortage of refs at games.
      What club was it?

Comment

What club was it?
        You are probably reluctant to answer that question, but if stuff like that is to stop, those responsible for bad behavior should be outed.

Comment

Scary stuff.

I know it happens all the time in sports, but you can't help but thinking everyone including refs, sideline officials, players, parents and everyone there was a little on edge.

I hope the officials reported the incident to the leage.

Comment

What club was it?
            You are probably reluctant to answer that question, but if stuff like that is to stop, those responsible for bad behavior should be outed.
            There should be no reluctance. Everyone should be made aware of what club it was. That may be one of the only effective ways to get it to stop - bad press

Comment

Sounds like an awful incident. If the particular parent can be identified, I support a suspension, although I'm not sure how it would be enforced because no one checks to see who is at a game the way player identities are checked before a game.

To the extent that the original poster says that "The club officials, coaches of this team, parents and players should be ashamed for showing disrespect for the game of soccer, coaches, opposing players, refs and creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for all involved," I'd urge restraint in saying everyone should be ashamed. I'm aware of "problem parents" on two teams, and in neither case do I believe that other parents or players encourage or condone the behavior in question. In fact, I'm quite sure that many of the parents and players are embarrassed and wish the behavior would stop.

If you are a parent on a team with a "problem parent" on the sidelines, what can you do? It is not comfortable (or even productive) to confront a person about his or her behavior, especially if you don't know them well and they're already prone to bursts of bad temper and threatening violence. Going to the coach is a possibility, but parents don't want to seem like whiners, even if what they're doing is reasonable. The problem is compounded if the parent's child is a top player on the team. This suggests that responsibility rests with coaches and club administrators, but I don't think it's necessarily simple for them either. Tell a kid he can't play because his dad misbehaves? I'm not sure that sends the right message, and what can the kid do about it anyway? Ask a kid to leave the team? Possibly even worse.

Now, I have also witnessed out of control parent groups. But even then, I don't think EVERY parent of those teams was responsible. Just an unfortunate 4-5 is enough to poison a sideline.

Comment

Sounds like an awful incident. If the particular parent can be identified, I support a suspension, although I'm not sure how it would be enforced because no one checks to see who is at a game the way player identities are checked before a game.

To the extent that the original poster says that "The club officials, coaches of this team, parents and players should be ashamed for showing disrespect for the game of soccer, coaches, opposing players, refs and creating an uncomfortable atmosphere for all involved," I'd urge restraint in saying everyone should be ashamed. I'm aware of "problem parents" on two teams, and in neither case do I believe that other parents or players encourage or condone the behavior in question. In fact, I'm quite sure that many of the parents and players are embarrassed and wish the behavior would stop.

If you are a parent on a team with a "problem parent" on the sidelines, what can you do? It is not comfortable (or even productive) to confront a person about his or her behavior, especially if you don't know them well and they're already prone to bursts of bad temper and threatening violence. Going to the coach is a possibility, but parents don't want to seem like whiners, even if what they're doing is reasonable. The problem is compounded if the parent's child is a top player on the team. This suggests that responsibility rests with coaches and club administrators, but I don't think it's necessarily simple for them either. Tell a kid he can't play because his dad misbehaves? I'm not sure that sends the right message, and what can the kid do about it anyway? Ask a kid to leave the team? Possibly even worse.

Now, I have also witnessed out of control parent groups. But even then, I don't think EVERY parent of those teams was responsible. Just an unfortunate 4-5 is enough to poison a sideline.

You are absolutely correct. The bad seeds usually travel in packs and easy to identify. The quiet ones will always separate themselves from these types.

Comment

Going to the coach is a possibility, but parents don't want to seem like whiners, even if what they're doing is reasonable. The problem is compounded if the parent's child is a top player on the team. This suggests that responsibility rests with coaches and club administrators, but I don't think it's necessarily simple for them either. Tell a kid he can't play because his dad misbehaves? I'm not sure that sends the right message, and what can the kid do about it anyway? Ask a kid to leave the team? Possibly even worse.
                  Couple things: Agree with this to a point.

Doesnt matter if the problem parents kid is a top player or not and if the parents on the sidelines can help the situation then it will and should fall to the coach/club.

Their first and simple response is to tell the parent to cut the crap or their kid will see less time and if the parent shooses to pull their kid, then do be it.

The kid isnt the problem...the parent is but those types of parents need that blunt communication and threat and if your coach/club doesnt do anything then look elsewhere as you will know who's driving the bus - the parents.

My coach was looking at a player who was looking around and was going to pursue until we heard and experienced some of the comments made by this players mother on the sidelines....after that, no more.

Its just not worth it.

Comment

Couple things: Agree with this to a point.

Doesnt matter if the problem parents kid is a top player or not and if the parents on the sidelines can't help the situation then it will and should fall to the coach/club.

Their first and simple response is to tell the parent to cut the crap or their kid will see less time and if the parent chooses to pull their kid, then so be it.

The kid isnt the problem...the parent is but those types of parents need that blunt communication and threat and if your coach/club doesnt do anything then look elsewhere as you will know who's driving the bus - the parents.

My coach was looking at a player who was looking around and was going to pursue until we heard and experienced some of the comments made by this players mother on the sidelines....after that, no more.

Its just not worth it.
                    I just read my post...wow...lots of spelling errors!
                    :D

Comment

Parents are a reflection of the club.

Unfortunate for the sane ones but true.

Comment

Parents are a reflection of the club.

Unfortunate for the sane ones but true.
                        Try doing a google search on Bad parents or bad youth sports parents........you will see some really sad stories

http://www.collegecharlie.com/ysports.html

Does anybody know who the club was?

Comment

It's very simple tell the parent to take their kid and get lost. No player is that good.

Comment

It's very simple tell the parent to take their kid and get lost. No player is that good.
                            =D>

Comment

A coacj can't do that if he is also a raving lunatic on the sideline.

Name the club, and let's end this sort of begavior once and for all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X