Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiting question - Following up with a coach

Settle a debate another parent and I are having. After a showcase, what is the point in following up with coaches if you’re 2020 or 2021 prospect? If the coach a player reached out to to watch them play during a showcase comes and watch them play but doesn’t contact them after the showcase, isn’t fair to assume they aren’t interested? Our experience has been that coaches contact those they are interested in within a few days post tournament or showcase.

I have had coaches contact my son* during* a tournament. However, my son also has had coaches not email (or anything) after, yet when he introduced himself to the coach at that school's ID camp the coach talked to him about my son's game he watched, and how my son played, at a Las Vegas tournament. So, you never know!

This is d3, and my son is a 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Settle a debate another parent and I are having. After a showcase, what is the point in following up with coaches if you’re 2020 or 2021 prospect? If the coach a player reached out to to watch them play during a showcase comes and watch them play but doesn’t contact them after the showcase, isn’t fair to assume they aren’t interested? Our experience has been that coaches contact those they are interested in within a few days post tournament or showcase.
      Always reach out, you never know. They're tracking lots of players and some aren't always the most organized either. Most 2020 spots are wrapped up now but there's still some low level positions out there. And sometimes their top picks or even already recruited players fall away and suddenly they might be interested in your player. 2021s are in high gear right now.

Comment

Always reach out, you never know. They're tracking lots of players and some aren't always the most organized either. Most 2020 spots are wrapped up now but there's still some low level positions out there. And sometimes their top picks or even already recruited players fall away and suddenly they might be interested in your player. 2021s are in high gear right now.
        On the 2022 thread, most posters are saying all but low d1 is also already completely full up with verbals or players they have been following. That’s probably why they don’t write back - they were there watching the players they’re already well into the recruiting process with. Time would probably be better spent going after the low d1s, high and mid d2s and the d3s your kid might be interested in. Even if you manage to snag a last spot book monies to a higher d1, is it worth it? Meanwhile, other smarter targeters are filling up the spots at the lower d1 and high d2s programs. You don’t want to miss every train out of the station.

Comment

On the 2022 thread, most posters are saying all but low d1 is also already completely full up with verbals or players they have been following. That’s probably why they don’t write back - they were there watching the players they’re already well into the recruiting process with. Time would probably be better spent going after the low d1s, high and mid d2s and the d3s your kid might be interested in. Even if you manage to snag a last spot book monies to a higher d1, is it worth it? Meanwhile, other smarter targeters are filling up the spots at the lower d1 and high d2s programs. You don’t want to miss every train out of the station.
          Our daughter always emailed coach before and after tournaments - regardless of whether she was contacted or not. Division 3. We have been to enough college ID camps to hear the majority of coach's say, "we want players that want to be here and advocate for themselves."
          So emailing and staying in touch VIP.

It's late for 2020 but not too late - there are still college ID camps in August and coach's to email. Hope that helps.

Comment

Our daughter always emailed coach before and after tournaments - regardless of whether she was contacted or not. Division 3. We have been to enough college ID camps to hear the majority of coach's say, "we want players that want to be here and advocate for themselves."
            So emailing and staying in touch VIP.

It's late for 2020 but not too late - there are still college ID camps in August and coach's to email. Hope that helps.
            Even for D3 its pretty late for 2020. They have all their admissions pre-reads done and verbals out. Good news is its D3 and she could get a love to have you, please apply talk

Comment

How many people who follow up where the coach did not reach out after a tournament had the coach reply with serious interest?

Comment

How many people who follow up where the coach did not reach out after a tournament had the coach reply with serious interest?
                This is TS, not a scientific survey site. Have your kid reach out again. Costs nothing but a minute of time. If she still doesn't hear back after that move on. If she's getting radio silence she probably aimed to high and needs to change her target programs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X