Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men's soccer: which is better Ivy or Patriot League?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Again, I ask are you high comparing the Ivies, which are ranked for soccer in the top half of D1 and academically in the top 50, with U Rochester a top ranked D3 with a so-so academic reputation??? Do you honestly think a kid who could play at Dartmouth is going to have Rochester as his next choice?
    Have you been through the college admissions process before??

I have and Ivies are reaches for *everyone*. A kid needs safety schools and matches. For us, my son is a rising junior. Of course targeting at this stage casts a wide net. The situation will be very different a year from now.

Comment

Don't know what your problem is. Rochester does not have a "so-so academic reputation." Now, if a kid can get in Dartmouth or another Ivy then they likely are not going to Rochester but Rochester easily could be a safety school for Ivy and higher end NESCAC applicants. Why don't you just admit that you know virtually nothing about the school.
      First, I do know about Rochester because they offered me an academic scholarship when I was coming out of HS and I honestly didn’t even apply to the school. It was a school I wasn’t interested in, especially with a cold-call scholarship offer, so I didn’t pursue it. Frankly doesn’t have any name recognition amongst employers that I’m aware of (maybe if you are in upstate NY).

Second, if you are primarily interested in Ivies which sounded like what the OP wanted, but didn’t have the academic chops to get in and we’re also somewhat focused on high-level soccer, then D1 schools like Notre Dame, Georgetown, Duke, U Michigan would be your next logical backups.

Comment

First, I do know about Rochester because they offered me an academic scholarship when I was coming out of HS and I honestly didn’t even apply to the school. It was a school I wasn’t interested in, especially with a cold-call scholarship offer, so I didn’t pursue it. Frankly doesn’t have any name recognition amongst employers that I’m aware of (maybe if you are in upstate NY).

Second, if you are primarily interested in Ivies which sounded like what the OP wanted, but didn’t have the academic chops to get in and we’re also somewhat focused on high-level soccer, then D1 schools like Notre Dame, Georgetown, Duke, U Michigan would be your next logical backups.
        LOL. You basically just admitted you know nothing about UR. You got some kind of academic offer but apparently didn't look at or research the school. Is BC the same? NYU? And UR has a great reputation with guidance counselors and college administrators. Well known in Boston and is a good draw from Metrowest kids.

As for your other comments, that's absurd. Kids good enough to play at Duke, Notre Dame or Michigan or UVA or UNC aren't considering Ivies for the most part.

Comment

LOL. You basically just admitted you know nothing about UR. You got some kind of academic offer but apparently didn't look at or research the school. Is BC the same? NYU? And UR has a great reputation with guidance counselors and college administrators. Well known in Boston and is a good draw from Metrowest kids.

As for your other comments, that's absurd. Kids good enough to play at Duke, Notre Dame or Michigan or UVA or UNC aren't considering Ivies for the most part.
          You’re right. Offer went right in the trash. I’ve worked up and down East Coast and CA and can’t say I’ve ever seen a resume or worked with anyone from U Rochester. Also, never heard anyone mention Rochester when talking about good schools. Sorry just my experience, but can’t imagine it’s next one down on anyone’s list that is serious Ivy recruit.

So you don’t think a kid good enough to play at U Michigan, Duke, etc. that gets a competitive offer from Dartmouth, Cornell, Princeton, or Columbia (ranked between #41 and 56 in NCAA D1 RPI) might not go Ivy instead?

Comment

Hey pops you might want to hit refresh on the school rankings. Things change in the decades since you went to school.

Also the ops kid, who is looking at Patriot and Ivies, is unlikely to have the soccer chops for the programs you listed. Academics yes, not soccer

Comment

So you don’t think a kid good enough to play at U Michigan, Duke, etc. that gets a competitive offer from Dartmouth, Cornell, Princeton, or Columbia (ranked between #41 and 56 in NCAA D1 RPI) might not go Ivy instead?
              Who knows. The soccer isn't the same, nor is the experience ,campus, student body etc, likelihood of playing, finances etc. Many factors go into deciding and it will vary one person to the next

Comment

You’re right. Offer went right in the trash. I’ve worked up and down East Coast and CA and can’t say I’ve ever seen a resume or worked with anyone from U Rochester. Also, never heard anyone mention Rochester when talking about good schools. Sorry just my experience, but can’t imagine it’s next one down on anyone’s list that is serious Ivy recruit.

You must be a middle age salesman or something.

Niche ranks U of R as the #55 school for academics in the nation.

Comment

Let me answer this way....how many big-time Duke or Michigan or Notre Dame bball recruits go to an Ivy? Very, very few. Soccer is a little different but the pattern holds. A top level D1 soccer player who has offers to Duke, Stanford, Michigan, etc is rarely going to pick an Ivy.

And you're partly right. A kid looking at Ivies might have Chicago or Williams or Middlebury or Swarthmore next on their list, but that doesn't mean that UR isn't a very legit and prestigious academic school. It is.

Comment

Who knows. The soccer isn't the same, nor is the experience ,campus, student body etc, likelihood of playing, finances etc. Many factors go into deciding and it will vary one person to the next
                    A competitive offer from an Ivy? Like what are you thinking since they have zero athletic aid?

Comment

A competitive offer from an Ivy? Like what are you thinking since they have zero athletic aid?
                      Yes, but do you think an athletic recruit at an Ivy pays the sticker price? And we are talking about men’s soccer where good scholarships aren’t common.

Comment

Let me answer this way....how many big-time Duke or Michigan or Notre Dame bball recruits go to an Ivy? Very, very few. Soccer is a little different but the pattern holds. A top level D1 soccer player who has offers to Duke, Stanford, Michigan, etc is rarely going to pick an Ivy.

And you're partly right. A kid looking at Ivies might have Chicago or Williams or Middlebury or Swarthmore next on their list, but that doesn't mean that UR isn't a very legit and prestigious academic school. It is.
                        Soccer is only a little different than b-ball? Yeah right...

Comment

Yes, but do you think an athletic recruit at an Ivy pays the sticker price? And we are talking about men’s soccer where good scholarships aren’t common.
                          Yes, I think an athletic recruit paying full price at a fancy ISL or NEPSAC is going to pay full price an an Ivy.

Comment

Soccer is only a little different than b-ball? Yeah right...
                            The way it isn't different is that top 50 and for the most part top 100 recruits don't go to Ivies.

Comment

The key difference involves your finances.
                              Patriot
                              If you have a highly recruited player, he might get a 50% athletic scholarship.
                              If you qualify they may also sprinkle in need or merit $$.

Ivy
                              All need based. If your income is fairly low this will work. If it is too high to qualify for need based aid but too low to shell out circa $250K, then proceed to the Patriot league.

Overall
                              One should ask the question of if pros is definitely out, why play college soccer? It is not easy and sometimes impossible to major in the more difficult fields when attending the above schools.

Comment

You must be a middle age salesman or something.

Niche ranks U of R as the #55 school for academics in the nation.
                                So the other post #26 said that Rochester is ranked #33 in the country so which is it #33 or #55?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X