Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The future is in the growth of our pro system which has an incentive to invest in youth players. Also top players can go to European based youth academies (free to play)- as many are doing now.

If you are an elite player at 14 and you are still paying for soccer, you are in the wrong place or you really are not good enough.

Pay to play is for college bound kids whose families have the dollars to spend. BS is the model club for this.
    If you are an elite player at u14 or above and not paying to play soccer in America then you are one of about 1%. Welcome to America. If I pay for my kid I decide what he does and when including playing other sports. I suppose if he was in that 1% he would be foreign and go to a prep school and still decide what to do and when.

Comment

If you are an elite player at u14 or above and not paying to play soccer in America then you are one of about 1%. Welcome to America. If I pay for my kid I decide what he does and when including playing other sports. I suppose if he was in that 1% he would be foreign and go to a prep school and still decide what to do and when.
      Yes. The 1% is the top of the pyramid and this is where the pro and NT talent is. This group should not have to pay to play soccer. If you look at the current u17 roster that is playing in the World Cup in India, I would bet that none of them are paying to play. Even TS, who used to be a Beachside player, has moved on to NYCFC for free to play.

There is a market for kids who like soccer and other sports.....and you will have to pay to play if you so choose.

Comment

Aren't the MLS sponsored DA teams free? I know that NYCFC is free and on top of that, they provide uniforms, cleats, other apparel as well as pay for travel.

Comment

Aren't the MLS sponsored DA teams free? I know that NYCFC is free and on top of that, they provide uniforms, cleats, other apparel as well as pay for travel.
          All but D.C. I believe. Problem is

1) you have to be close enough to one to play for one. Some are initiating residency programs which can help; MLS expansion can help too. But running free programs puts a financial strain on clubs and they get very little out of it.

2) some are poor quality and there's still plenty of politics at MLS club (see MA Revs threads) and within USSF. It definitely isn't a system of talent above all else

3) you have to have been playing at a high level from an early age to eventually reach that level. Costly pay to play locks may out of the high visibility leagues. At the younger ages kids are most often taught by well intentioned parent volunteer coaches. We spend the rest of our time playing catch up.

Comment

We face the same problem like many National teams of past who give seniority to certain players, sorry but Altidore is not a National team/World Cup player, the BPL didn't want him so that tells you something, i mean the guy couldn't score for months at a time so how the hell would he be able to do it now.

But honestly i feel sympathy for Pulisic, he knows he's gonna have to deal with the same group for another 4 years and Im sure he's wondering how the hell do i get out of this mess without Insulting my country, so in a nutshell Bradley and gang aint going no where.
            The only thing we can work on his having our U17s and Up play overseas for better training.

Playing MLS Is definitely not working , we can blame the coach , the fields and everything else that comes to mind but you cant expect a 3 legged horse to win a 4 legged race.

On the players side, old guard should step aside and let know talent get critical international experience.

Bradley is a perfect example. Bradley has done great things but he can't play in heat (he seems particularity sensitive hot humid conditions). In the 2014 WC he was running around like a chicken with his head cutoff and was about as effective. Some players just can't play in the heat. Ghana game was a clear example. Second half he looked like Forrest Gump.. run Bradly run. Bradley's national team service is done or at least should be done. Bradley does not have a motor like Konte' type player so he can't just run and run and still be effective but also can jog in those conditions. Bottom line is he is done.

Leadership: Sunil and crew should go. Not a real soccer guy. Yes, he able to navigate the politics and economics of soccer without being overly corrupt (like building castles for your cats) But failed at the most important objectives for US soccer, make the WC.

Lost revenue for US soccer is huge. TV rights, endorsements, merchandise. How many Americas are going to tune into from begging to end for a WC where the US is not invited?
            There is a core who love the game and will but impact on the broader market will be huge.

So two ways to go...1) Someone with high level soccer experience Pro and international preferably with European experience. 2) Or an former Cooperate leader semi outsider who knows how to get things done like Arthur Blank

Comment

Ah...so college is to blame. Damn us players wanting a free education, the nerve of them. Doesn't seem to hurt us basketball, football and baseball. Other than the real freaks, most of the top talent goes to college in those sports, although some sports a lot less years than others I will give you that. Bottom line is the best athletes in the us don't play soccer and the us can't properly identify, coach and develop the athletes they do get
              You miss the point. Going to College is not the problem, but college is not a development platform. Nor should it be. There is no hunger in the US soccer system. No desperation. There are a series of comfortable landing spots. There is no pressure to perform. Look at Jordan Morris - prime example.

Comment

You miss the point. Going to College is not the problem, but college is not a development platform. Nor should it be. There is no hunger in the US soccer system. No desperation. There are a series of comfortable landing spots. There is no pressure to perform. Look at Jordan Morris - prime example.
                it's pure and simple pay to play.

Comment

it's pure and simple pay to play.
                  That is so stupid. Americans pay to play basketball on the AAU circuit and we are tops in the world. They pay to play Pop Warner. In fact, soccer is cheaper bc there is less equipment to buy. And as with other sports, those that can afford it, pay, while those that can't, don't. I have yet to see a talented player not be able to play due to finances. Yes, that's unfortunate for the less talented player without money, but the conversation is about finding the best players. Cost is not a deterrent for US athletes. A huge number of choices is. How to fix it? It will likely fix itself as American football continues its downward spiral due to injuries and concussions and less teenagers choose to play it.

Comment

I don't know why people think the Academy is the problem, if the point of argument is the pay to play then I agree but in terms of training it's doing fine and it's much better than what we were doing say 10 years ago. If anyone is connecting the MNT and it's failures to Academy then your sadly mistaken.

It's a no brainer that college play is impeding our process and along with MLS salarys being low to attract talent over college.

If the USSF could fund talented youth players before or after HS then Europe would be the key but MLS is not that route.
                    Man, you are clueless. The academy has been around for ten years and we have regressed on the men's side. It certainly hasn't helped. And it has nothing to do with pay for play. There is not one talented player in the country who hasn't been scholarshipped through the system. That's a cop out excuse. The issue and I wouldn't even call it a problem is that there are tons of great choices for these kids. That isn't likely to change. If US Soccer wants to make a positive change, they should start a residency program for US Soccer taking a core of players (50 or so per age group for ten months a year. Educate them and train them together. That is the single best way to improve the NT. Will they miss some? Sure. But the continuity will more than make up for it. It has nothing to do with pay to play or the club system. You simply can't bring players together a few times a year and expect them to have success.

Comment

One word...Iceland!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...lars-lagerback

Comment

Enough this pay to play crap. US needs to ruthlessly clean house from the top to local level. Rather have less kids playing but quality than this mess.
                        that is the opposite mentality of what is done in places that win world cups. They cast as wide net as possible early on. Then they offer financial incentive for finding and producing top level players. So not the American way.

We are not set up to win world cups. We never will be until we allow the system that promotes the buying and selling of young players and we don't want to do that.

Comment

saw this on the MA board - good summary

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-ma...050218707.html

Comment

That is so stupid. Americans pay to play basketball on the AAU circuit and we are tops in the world. They pay to play Pop Warner. In fact, soccer is cheaper bc there is less equipment to buy. And as with other sports, those that can afford it, pay, while those that can't, don't. I have yet to see a talented player not be able to play due to finances. Yes, that's unfortunate for the less talented player without money, but the conversation is about finding the best players. Cost is not a deterrent for US athletes. A huge number of choices is. How to fix it? It will likely fix itself as American football continues its downward spiral due to injuries and concussions and less teenagers choose to play it.
                            Basketball and American Football are different. Those are our sports. Other countries don't have the passion for them the same way the USA doesn't have the passion for soccer.

Our best men's athletes don't go to soccer. Period. It's a girls' sport here. And, nobody pays to watch women's sports, so ... soccer is and will remain an afterthought.

America awoke today blissfully unaware that we got pwned by T&T. American awoke today and had no idea T&T was even a thing. Give it up.

And, nobody on our men's team, nobody, would make England, or Spain, or Portugal, or Brazil .... Calling us a third-world soccer nation is kind to us and an insult to the third world.

So, yeah, gut the lot. Cast them out. Top down. Everyone. Nobody over 29.5 years remains. Rebuild. Put in a 12-year plan. It's not going to work, of course, but, we'll feel better.

Comment

Issues

So many issues it is tough to figure out which are worse. Number one they need to figure out how to get us games on channels people can watch. Maybe try to get kids following the US teams. Hoping kids watch games online is a joke.

Secondly the better athletes as kids are playing other sports. Nothing will really change until top athletes also play soccer. The whole premier pay to play system is comically bad. Then only kids who play soccer past 10 years old are the ones whose parents are willing to pay 3k for them to be able to tell their friends their kid plays premier soccer. And anyone who thinks the country club type kids are going to produce enough world class players is highly mistaken. You can't train world class into someone. So it isn't about any Academy system. It is about getting world class athletes to play soccer in the US. Right now It is simply a place for upper middle class parents to think their kids are special.

Comment

Man, you are clueless. The academy has been around for ten years and we have regressed on the men's side. It certainly hasn't helped. And it has nothing to do with pay for play. There is not one talented player in the country who hasn't been scholarshipped through the system. That's a cop out excuse. The issue and I wouldn't even call it a problem is that there are tons of great choices for these kids. That isn't likely to change. If US Soccer wants to make a positive change, they should start a residency program for US Soccer taking a core of players (50 or so per age group for ten months a year. Educate them and train them together. That is the single best way to improve the NT. Will they miss some? Sure. But the continuity will more than make up for it. It has nothing to do with pay to play or the club system. You simply can't bring players together a few times a year and expect them to have success.

No sir you are clueless.
                                We have residences but you knew that right? So hows it working for us ? Redbulls don't have one but yet their Academy seems to be numero uno, so they gotta be doing something right don't you think?
                                The main purpose of the Academy should be is to promote better training and competition along with easier identification for "Future" MNT players, unfortunately the country is way to large on a landscape to seek them all out.
                                Right now this thing is going in all directions with no one at the wheel , that idiot Sunil don't know shat about Football.
                                For example the MLS clubs are grabbing their own to sign with no chance for them to get real training outside of the country. The MLS believes they can create a BPL type league where the worlds top players will come to the US like England but what we are getting is retired and some washed up stars. The NoN MLS Academies hold bragging rights with college commitments and who they beat last week in the league, it's a complete mess with no direction but yet everyone in the program complains with whose doing it wrong.
                                I think that The Academy division should completely separate themselves from the MNT and what I mean by that is identifying Academy players to move up to the MNT is premature we should work more on getting them overseas , no one cares what they do in MLS we really are concerned what our MNT does and it's results to success.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X