Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So by the frequent use of "lol", are we to assume you think both MA and RI premier are a joke?
    No, not at all. MA is not a joke. Relax Mom/Dad. Wouldn't want any parent here not get their pat on the back.

Comment

I believe we may have 8 true varsity D1 teams in the state. However, jv soccer is just what it is. JV soccer is comparable to town rec soccer. Some of those players won't go on to make varsity in larger school systems.
      NK, for example, has a good jv team, no doubt about it. It seems the players can't turn it on at the next level. I think they belong in D1 not D2 as someone else wrote. Same for Coventry, however, they are doing better this year. And CW as well. JV does not mean anything in regards to D1 varsity soccer. Sorry.
      No correlation..you're kidding. Look at JV rosters for almost every program and you're telling me that the *vast* majority who stay with soccer aren't on the Varsity squad, especially in the small/mid schools (hell, even the large)?

What, all of sudden Portsmouth, Cumberland, NK, Mt Hope, SK, etc. get an influx of girls who decide to wait and only play Varsity soccer? Or suddenly get maybe more than one varsity capable girl who moves to RI or their school district? It's not club where you get movement and change (well, except LSA who can shop and pay for talent).

Is JV soccer bad - sure I suppose, but then again so is Varsity soccer for the most part..JV is a good (not total) predictor of relative positioning for the future..not perfect because as noted some teams can't translate that..and that is what coaching is supposed to do..

Comment

Whooooosh

The sound of Smithfield passing South Kingston in the standings.

SK 0 vs Prout 0???

Nicely done SR. Looks like you and John Farrell looking for new opportunities next year.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

You said it correctly, "decent level of talent". That's about all they have each year and they are right where they belong. They haven't won anything in over 20 years! Maybe they should move down to D2 that equates to JV level soccer.
          There are too many directions with this thread to comment on all of them so I’ll go with the coaching discussion.** What I’ve seen in HS soccer is a coach can influence a team much more to the negative than they can to the positive.* Taking LaSalle out of the discussion, most of the D1 schools have a similar mix of players, premier, town and some multi-sport high school athletes that focus on other sports.* The size of the town and the strength of the youth program in the town or maybe the % of kids who play premier will likely swing the pendulum a little more to some, but on paper many of these teams should be similar.** The coach isn’t going to have a huge impact in making kids better soccer players at this age, especially in a short season where half the time they’re playing games.* The best the coach can hope to do is recognize the talent their players have and put them in positions or formations where they can use those abilities to help the team the most.* Their next biggest job is to motivate their kids to play their best individually and as a team.* Come game time, a coach who is really on the ball might be able to make some tactical adjustments that might influence a few games if they’re lucky.* The other side of that is coaches can really screw teams up.* Besides not getting the above things right, if a coach has a bad attitude with their players or they’re demeaning to them, they’re going to create a toxic environment within the team.* That is huge in girls soccer in particular.* NK is a great example of this.* There are kids on the NK team from NEFC NPL, Bayside NPL, GPS, Bruno & Rams.* In fact, I think almost the whole team plays premier for someone.* They even cut kids who played premier!* They have also had 4 or 5 D1 recruits in the past 5-6 years and yet they are a mess on the field year after year.* The problem isn’t that these kids forgot how to play in September and October it’s that their coach has regularly failed in all of these areas to the point where a big number of players would probably quit tomorrow if they weren’t playing with their friends.* So I disagree with the poster who said they have no talent. They have plenty of talent on the field. Where they lack it is on the bench and until the school gives a damn and changes the coach, their results are not going to change.

Comment

The sound of Smithfield passing South Kingston in the standings.

SK 0 vs Prout 0???

Nicely done SR. Looks like you and John Farrell looking for new opportunities next year.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
            SK coach is a joke. Only motivation is to get the younger kids to play for RAMS. Team will be worse at end of year than beginning. Lucky to win first game of playoffs before gone.

Comment

Problem with NK is you have too many talented kids, and too many parents that think their kids are talented. You get 20 kids whose parents have forked out at least $10K to get their kids trained up. Takes all year to find the right mix and not too many coaches can figure that out.

Comment

Problem with NK is you have too many talented kids, and too many parents that think their kids are talented. You get 20 kids whose parents have forked out at least $10K to get their kids trained up. Takes all year to find the right mix and not too many coaches can figure that out.
                If it’s taking NK Coach all year to find the right mix why not put the team in the summer league and start the process then.

Comment

D1 Playoff Picture

I can't remember how they qualify for playoffs. Is it that a team must win 40% of their games, which I assume would be 7?

2016 12 teams qualified with opening round byes
                  2015 10 Teams qualified with opening round byes
                  2014 10 Teams qualified with opening round byes

Currently there are already eight teams with 7 or more wins. NK, EG & Cumb all sit with six wins. NK & EG both have Bayview left to play whicl Cumb has a bit tougher road with Mount & SK. If all three teams get another victory, how does a bracket of 11 get set up?

Comment

You have talented kids and parents who think they're talented? That would make it seem like it's even harder to screw things up! I'm sorry but finding the right "mix" is coaching 101. If a coach can't figure out the right mix of returning players it proves the point they shouldn't be coach at that level. I'm sure there's a U6 Rec team somewhere looking for a coach

Comment

You have talented kids and parents who think they're talented? That would make it seem like it's even harder to screw things up! I'm sorry but finding the right "mix" is coaching 101. If a coach can't figure out the right mix of returning players it proves the point they shouldn't be coach at that level. I'm sure there's a U6 Rec team somewhere looking for a coach
                      Well apparently they aren't as talented as the rest of the state.

Comment

There are too many directions with this thread to comment on all of them so I’ll go with the coaching discussion.** What I’ve seen in HS soccer is a coach can influence a team much more to the negative than they can to the positive.* Taking LaSalle out of the discussion, most of the D1 schools have a similar mix of players, premier, town and some multi-sport high school athletes that focus on other sports.* The size of the town and the strength of the youth program in the town or maybe the % of kids who play premier will likely swing the pendulum a little more to some, but on paper many of these teams should be similar.** The coach isn’t going to have a huge impact in making kids better soccer players at this age, especially in a short season where half the time they’re playing games.* The best the coach can hope to do is recognize the talent their players have and put them in positions or formations where they can use those abilities to help the team the most.* Their next biggest job is to motivate their kids to play their best individually and as a team.* Come game time, a coach who is really on the ball might be able to make some tactical adjustments that might influence a few games if they’re lucky.* The other side of that is coaches can really screw teams up.* Besides not getting the above things right, if a coach has a bad attitude with their players or they’re demeaning to them, they’re going to create a toxic environment within the team.* That is huge in girls soccer in particular.* NK is a great example of this.* There are kids on the NK team from NEFC NPL, Bayside NPL, GPS, Bruno & Rams.* In fact, I think almost the whole team plays premier for someone.* They even cut kids who played premier!* They have also had 4 or 5 D1 recruits in the past 5-6 years and yet they are a mess on the field year after year.* The problem isn’t that these kids forgot how to play in September and October it’s that their coach has regularly failed in all of these areas to the point where a big number of players would probably quit tomorrow if they weren’t playing with their friends.* So I disagree with the poster who said they have no talent. They have plenty of talent on the field. Where they lack it is on the bench and until the school gives a damn and changes the coach, their results are not going to change.
                        Are those really Premier clubs? Rams? Bruno? GPS?
                        NK has one Bayside and one NEFC player. (Soph) who according to NK parents has been injured since the Spring. NK really has no bench and you can see the difference any time a substitution is made. I think the problem is that NK (individually) is not as good as some of you posters (NK parents) think they are. It's hard to admit it and it hurts after all the money you have spent. They are a good team and play good soccer together and realistically could have won more if they finished their chances. They lost to us by 1 and very could have easily won if they could score. They have shown that. Losing their best two forwards to URI, one girl had moved away, hurt them a lot yet they are still right there.
                        The past 5 years 5-6 D1 commits? 1 to URI. That is it. We have more talent than you and we have no D1 commits nor should we. I like NK. I like they way they play, I have some friends that are parents there. When we play them we know we can out muscle them because they are scared of physical play.

Comment

If it’s taking NK Coach all year to find the right mix why not put the team in the summer league and start the process then.
                          NK gets out muscled and look afraid. That is their downfall. Not their style or the way they play. They play good, nice soccer. The players that did play like that are gone. Let's face it, you have to be strong out there and they are scared. Other than that they control games and play good soccer.

Comment

Who really cares about NK? Right now we should be talking playoffs!
                            LaSAlle, Smithfield, Ports, SK, or Mt. Hope will be in the finals. Thoughts?

Comment

This is a great observation. It looks like the Cumberland mom from the last four years has moved to NK! ba ha ha

Comment

Lincoln looks really good and are only losing a Senior or two. Beware of Lincoln. They definitely have to be added into the mix at the top for the playoffs and the next couple of seasons.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X