Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wasn't trying to be funny. The coach is an *******, the worst of the worst...but it would be a mistake to suggest the parent has no culpability.
    Cut the op some slack - if it's his first kid going through the system there's a steep learning curve. And it's been going on 6 months, not 6 years

Comment

I am normally a firm believer in letting the coaches make their decisions w/o interference. If they bench my DD so be it, if they decide she should be defense vs striker, or whatever so be it. But I find myself having to interfere and wondering how far I should go.

DD has just turned 9 and is playing u10 club soccer on a B team. We have the same coach as last year and roughly the same team makeup. Last year seemed mostly about development and fun.

This year after tryouts he said DD had potential for multiple positions and one of those was keeper. He wanted her to be one of his 3 main keepers and wanted her to do some keeper training. I was fine with that because she seemed to like it well enough.

Fast forward 6 months she has been keeper for at least 1/2 of every game (17) and her playing time on the field has been cut to 15 min. Since she gets so little playing time and spends part of regular practice doing goalie training her improvement has lagged her peers. More importantly she is not enjoying the game anymore (tho she still likes practice). She is very stressed out and has come home crying from the pressure of letting in a goal.

I have told the coach she isn't enjoying it anymore, does not want to play goalie so much.
      I fear she will burn out/quit and it will be moot anyway. Plus I don't think its fair or natural to ask a 9 yr old to bear this burden the entire time. He feels we made a commitment to the team and is basically asking her to suck it up.

what do you think?
      3 keepers at u10? Is the team made up of fat kids.
      I've been coaching for years and consider myself lucky to get 1 quality keeper.
      This post is bs.

Comment

I have. Boy...alcoholism sure does have an impact on family.

Point?
        Knew it, just another victim monger. Movie is about way more than just alcoholism, if alcoholism is all you are interested go watch Leaving Las Vegas.

Comment

Wrong, out of date, stupid post.
          Troll.

Comment

Parent of a BU14 keeper here. He just specialized last year at the club level and still plays field for travel and school team.

1. 9 is WAY too young to specialize.
            2. YOU are your child's best advocate.

Try to have another discussion with the coach. If he doesn't budge, you should move on.

Don't listen to others about her not cutting it as a field player. Nothing like that can be determined pre puberty.

I'm a fan of not intervening, but in this situation I would.

Comment

Parent of a BU14 keeper here. He just specialized last year at the club level and still plays field for travel and school team.

1. 9 is WAY too young to specialize.
              2. YOU are your child's best advocate.

Try to have another discussion with the coach. If he doesn't budge, you should move on.

Don't listen to others about her not cutting it as a field player. Nothing like that can be determined pre puberty.

I'm a fan of not intervening, but in this situation I would.
              Sometimes coaches do dumb things and there is no good explanation. You need to fix the situation on your daughters behalf or find another team.

Comment

Knew it, just another victim monger. Movie is about way more than just alcoholism, if alcoholism is all you are interested go watch Leaving Las Vegas.
                Read Pete Hamill

Comment

3 keepers at u10? Is the team made up of fat kids.
                  I've been coaching for years and consider myself lucky to get 1 quality keeper.
                  This post is bs.
                  Spot on.

Comment

Spot on.
                    I believe it is BS too. That said here's a typical real scenario at that age.
                    - bigger club has multiple teams at this age
                    - multiple kids are cycled through as keepers
                    - maybe at an indoor game a kid stands out as having the reflexs to deflect 15 shots in a row away from the goal
                    - that kid is now spending time on the outdoor pitch as a keeper and being tested to see if the hand eye coordination, other upside potential keeper traits are also there etc
                    - Turning Point
                    1. Kid has potential and likes it and gravitates there but likely also has traits of striker or leadership skills and splits time and is coveted by club and can pick their own path.
                    2. Kid doesn't and parent works with team manager etc to recruit a keeper to take pressure off of developing the player not wanting the spot.
                    3. Kid doesn't and has no option but to move away with parental help to better situation.

Had the kid in scenario 1 and was lucky enough to have options. Maybe this kid is that kid too (even though this does seem a BS post)

Comment

I believe it is BS too. That said here's a typical real scenario at that age.
                      - bigger club has multiple teams at this age
                      - multiple kids are cycled through as keepers
                      - maybe at an indoor game a kid stands out as having the reflexs to deflect 15 shots in a row away from the goal
                      - that kid is now spending time on the outdoor pitch as a keeper and being tested to see if the hand eye coordination, other upside potential keeper traits are also there etc
                      - Turning Point
                      1. Kid has potential and likes it and gravitates there but likely also has traits of striker or leadership skills and splits time and is coveted by club and can pick their own path.
                      2. Kid doesn't and parent works with team manager etc to recruit a keeper to take pressure off of developing the player not wanting the spot.
                      3. Kid doesn't and has no option but to move away with parental help to better situation.

Had the kid in scenario 1 and was lucky enough to have options. Maybe this kid is that kid too (even though this does seem a BS post)
                      Good points, but I have to chuckle.
                      I have been coaching for years against these big clubs and other than at the top of the pyramid, these scenarios hold no weight.
                      Most of the time, the coach is different every time I play the same team, sometimes within season.
                      There is nobody keeping a trained eye on these kids.
                      Now, maybe these transient coaches have manipulative patents and mgrs, but if they manage to stick around, that is easily quashed.
                      I have a suspicion that 99.9% of posts on this site are from the same few idiots, myself included, (can’t help myself) and revolve around the same few teams.
                      I will humbly inform you, that in my opinion, nobody gives a flying %@# about the state of youth soccer, unless it involves their kid, and that the ignorance level of these posters is truly shattering.
                      What a shame. But it does make for great entertainment.

Comment

Good points, but I have to chuckle.
                        I have been coaching for years against these big clubs and other than at the top of the pyramid, these scenarios hold no weight.
                        Most of the time, the coach is different every time I play the same team, sometimes within season.
                        There is nobody keeping a trained eye on these kids.
                        Now, maybe these transient coaches have manipulative patents and mgrs, but if they manage to stick around, that is easily quashed.
                        I have a suspicion that 99.9% of posts on this site are from the same few idiots, myself included, (can’t help myself) and revolve around the same few teams.
                        I will humbly inform you, that in my opinion, nobody gives a flying %@# about the state of youth soccer, unless it involves their kid, and that the ignorance level of these posters is truly shattering.
                        You sir are a douche and exactly why club soccer sux so much because the option to everything you are making fun of above is a chap like you who isn't nearly the soccer good you think you are. Most of you are just plain hacks.

Comment

Hall of Fame post. Fact, not opinion.

Comment

Hall of Fame post. Fact, not opinion.
                            Keep patting yourself on the back. Always so obvious and pathetic.

Comment

You sir are a douche and exactly why club soccer sux so much because the option to everything you are making fun of above is a chap like you who isn't nearly the soccer good you think you are. Most of you are just plain hacks.
                              Explain yourself, laddie.

Comment

Keep patting yourself on the back. Always so obvious and pathetic.
                                It’s no me...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X