Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The US flag stands for freedom-freedom to peacefully protest. You also have the right to protest the protest peacefully. Isn’t this a beautiful country.
    Correct - none of them will be arrested, which is what that is really about. This is a good thing. It does not change that its hard to reconcile playing for a national team while protesting the nation.

Here is a question no one ever answers: what needs to happen to get these players to stop protesting?

Comment

Correct - none of them will be arrested, which is what that is really about. This is a good thing. It does not change that its hard to reconcile playing for a national team while protesting the nation.

Here is a question no one ever answers: what needs to happen to get these players to stop protesting?
      They're not protesting the nation - they're protesting unequal treatment for some Americans. They want a better nation.

Comment

Replace

Replace them with younger and better players who appreciate the opportunity perhaps?

Comment

Outcomes

They're not protesting the nation - they're protesting unequal treatment for some Americans. They want a better nation.
          They are protesting unequal outcomes not unequal treatment.

Life is unfair and we should be working on teaching that not telling everyone they are all the same and all deserve the same happiness. You are what you make of it.

If merit was the only factor the world wouldn't have quotas.

Comment

So, that is a pretty subjective thing to ask for and that is the reason these open-ended protests are either poorly thought out or purposely nebulous in their goal.

Comment

^
              This

It’s a paper tiger argument by those who are bothered by the kneeling. They are not asking why. They don’t care. It’s the same garbage argument that closet racist make regarding the BLM movement. They spew back bull like “All lives Matter”or “Blue lives matter”to avoid the issue of inequity in this country. It is thinly veiled racism by fellow whites. These same people make excuses about the people storming of the capital. They say things like well that was just a fringe group or that doesn’t represent us. But they do-not give the same respect to the BLM movement They paint them with a broad brush for their convenience of ignoring the real issue. You want to stop people from kneeling during the National Anthem? Then recognize the issue of why they are kneeling and be part of the solution.

Comment

^
                This

It’s a paper tiger argument by those who are bothered by the kneeling. They are not asking why. They don’t care. It’s the same garbage argument that closet racist make regarding the BLM movement. They spew back bull like “All lives Matter”or “Blue lives matter”to avoid the issue of inequity in this country. It is thinly veiled racism by fellow whites. These same people make excuses about the people storming of the capital. They say things like well that was just a fringe group or that doesn’t represent us. But they do-not give the same respect to the BLM movement They paint them with a broad brush for their convenience of ignoring the real issue. You want to stop people from kneeling during the National Anthem? Then recognize the issue of why they are kneeling and be part of the solution.
                The problem is that some level of police violence will always exist, because police are people and all we can do is punish bad behavior after the fact. So again, what specific goal will get them to cease protesting or is this just the way they anticipate interacting with our symbols forever?

Comment

i feel for and understand the cause. I understand why they are taking a knee and i completely agree BUT my main issue is that these athletes are doing this while at "work" this is their job. So no, I dont think they should be taking a knee while at work. NO ONE on this board can make such a political and social statement while at work.... They need to find another way

Comment

just because you can do something doesnt mean you should do that something

I agree with the why but i disagree with the how

Comment

The problem is that some level of police violence will always exist, because police are people and all we can do is punish bad behavior after the fact. So again, what specific goal will get them to cease protesting or is this just the way they anticipate interacting with our symbols forever?
                      The goal is for police to earn the trust of black people and their communities so that they feel like they can rely on the police to protect them. Right now, that trust does not exist. Earning this trust probably can't happen overnight, nor can it happen simply through legislation. Attitudes need to change at many levels, including law enforcement, government, civilian populations, etc. Things like kneeling for the anthem draws attention to the issue in a peaceful manner.

Comment

just because you can do something doesnt mean you should do that something

I agree with the why but i disagree with the how
                        because to you - the american flag is a symbol of military power - maybe you were taught that.

To others it a symbol of the promise of American freedoms and rights - freedoms and right that belong to all Americans - not just some americans.

Comment

Then do it on YOUR time not at work. If anyone else decided to protest at work they would be fired. Don't believe me? Go ahead and take a knee to fight inequality during your next business meeting.

Comment

i feel for and understand the cause. I understand why they are taking a knee and i completely agree BUT my main issue is that these athletes are doing this while at "work" this is their job. So no, I dont think they should be taking a knee while at work. NO ONE on this board can make such a political and social statement while at work.... They need to find another way
                            All work is not the same. Obviously, they can take a knee at their work place.

And they do. No amount of upset can change that fact.

Comment

Then do it on YOUR time not at work. If anyone else decided to protest at work they would be fired. Don't believe me? Go ahead and take a knee to fight inequality during your next business meeting.

Sorry all work is not equal, They are able to make a statement at their work. You and me -not so much, If they can get away with it, then that is their right. who are you to say anything different. I wish you were as upset about the reason behind it as you are about the taking of a knee in silence.

If you were, perhaps this country could move forward.

Comment

Sorry all work is not equal, They are able to make a statement at their work. You and me -not so much, If they can get away with it, then that is their right. who are you to say anything different. I wish you were as upset about the reason behind it as you are about the taking of a knee in silence.

If you were, perhaps this country could move forward.
                                The causes of the inequity in the country are very broad and complex. Both political parties play their role in it as well as industry and private individuals. Until everyone can recognize the role they are playing or have played, there won’t be any productive movement on the issue.

The kneeling is an empty gesture, it’s like a hashtag on Twitter.

Btw- this is a youth soccer board. Youth soccer, one of the best examples of social inequity in the US.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X