Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The issue has and always will be that ECNL/RL are club-based, as in, the entire club (all eligible age groups) are in. There is typically ability variation at different clubs based on age groups (e.g. u14 group is fantastic but u16 stinks), but as the entire club is in ECNL/RL, you'll have teams that are just bad but are still in that league. An EDP div 2 team beating an ECRL team isn't unusual, but it also won't change anything about the system.
    Another quick thought - this is why you'll always have people on here complaining about "why isn't Real in ECNL" or "why doesn't MF/PDA Shore have an ECNL badge". There are certain realities about the system that people just won't accept.

Comment

My daughter’s EDP div 2 team played an ECRL team and won 8-0. What are the standards for acceptance in ECRL and how can you have such a wide gap in quality. I know we would beat others based on comparative results too (which is what other parents on the team are telling me) Just makes no sense to me by I’m not a soccer person so perhaps I’m missing something.
      The top players on and ECNL club play on the ECNL team. The B squad players or whatever is left over play on ECRL team. Very few have a 3rd team so you have a lot of parents who think their kid is great but in reality not so much. Better players who don't make ECNL go to GA or USYS teams instead of playing on the ECRL teams which just makes them worse.

Comment

I believe it...there are quite a few EDP Div 1 teams that would beat ECNL teams let alone ECRL. Tells you plenty about the money grab that ECRL really is.
        EDP is washed up and saturated also. Very disappointed with the drop off of coaches attending showcases year after year after year. ( even before Covid) . Most EDP teams play kick and run soccer anyway and college coaches don’t like that. EDP D1/D2 teams can win against whoever they want , but if the soccer is crap and what is being taught is crap, then as a parent and player what’s the point? It’s all about gotsoccer points to some of those EDP teams but at the end of the day kids have to learn the game to play at the college level. Some clubs are just better at that then others fact!!! ECNL and RL (even GA ) over EDP D1/D2 . Wake up!!

Comment

Play

EDP is washed up and saturated also. Very disappointed with the drop off of coaches attending showcases year after year after year. ( even before Covid) . Most EDP teams play kick and run soccer anyway and college coaches don’t like that. EDP D1/D2 teams can win against whoever they want , but if the soccer is crap and what is being taught is crap, then as a parent and player what’s the point? It’s all about gotsoccer points to some of those EDP teams but at the end of the day kids have to learn the game to play at the college level. Some clubs are just better at that then others fact!!! ECNL and RL (even GA ) over EDP D1/D2 . Wake up!!
          I would bet you your annual salary that whatever teams in ECRL win their "division" wouldn't even get a top 20 result if there was a true State Cup these days.

Have you watched regular ECNL games? Lots of really big, fast girls not so much the soccer IQ types with poise and creativity. ECRL is the same thing but slower, smaller and still no soccer IQ.

Comment

My daughter’s EDP div 2 team played an ECRL team and won 8-0. What are the standards for acceptance in ECRL and how can you have such a wide gap in quality. I know we would beat others based on comparative results too (which is what other parents on the team are telling me) Just makes no sense to me by I’m not a soccer person so perhaps I’m missing something.
            My D's ECRL team played with only 10 players against an EDP div1 team and beat them 3-1 (EDP team played with 11 and 4 subs). Stuff happens.

Comment

I would bet you your annual salary that whatever teams in ECRL win their "division" wouldn't even get a top 20 result if there was a true State Cup these days.

Have you watched regular ECNL games? Lots of really big, fast girls not so much the soccer IQ types with poise and creativity. ECRL is the same thing but slower, smaller and still no soccer IQ.
              One thing I've noticed watching years of youth soccer; when a team is much better than an opposing team, they are often able to play much higher quality soccer, with good soccer IQ, poise, creativity, ball movement, etc. But when playing against stronger competition, a lot of that goes out the window, because playing faster with more pressure et al will force players to make faster (and not always smarter) decisions, technique and form sometimes drop, etc. So maybe when you are watching ECNL games, you are seeing the result of higher-level competition impacting how those kids play.

Comment

Agree. 8-0 would indicate something was up. Had to be in a tourney and 8-0 indicates mis-flighting in one of two ways.

1. Your team should have been flight 1 EDP
                2. The team you beat should have been in a lower bracket, based on the team they brang.

What age was it? What club is your team.

Comment

One thing I've noticed watching years of youth soccer; when a team is much better than an opposing team, they are often able to play much higher quality soccer, with good soccer IQ, poise, creativity, ball movement, etc. But when playing against stronger competition, a lot of that goes out the window, because playing faster with more pressure et al will force players to make faster (and not always smarter) decisions, technique and form sometimes drop, etc. So maybe when you are watching ECNL games, you are seeing the result of higher-level competition impacting how those kids play.
                  This this this.

I've heard parents talk about how awesome their team or another team is at playing soccer and have witnessed it myself. They talk about how they really know the game, crisp passing, staying in positions, etc. All of that is certainly true when they are facing competition that allows them to play like that. If they are making the other team run around while they pass around them, then sure it highlights those abilities, but it's the other team's relative skill that makes that a reality.

I've seen many a team that "plays great soccer" look like crap against high quality teams. That's when those teams lose. It takes a really great team to show that quality regardless of speed/competition.

Comment

This this this.

I've heard parents talk about how awesome their team or another team is at playing soccer and have witnessed it myself. They talk about how they really know the game, crisp passing, staying in positions, etc. All of that is certainly true when they are facing competition that allows them to play like that. If they are making the other team run around while they pass around them, then sure it highlights those abilities, but it's the other team's relative skill that makes that a reality.

I've seen many a team that "plays great soccer" look like crap against high quality teams. That's when those teams lose. It takes a really great team to show that quality regardless of speed/competition.
                    And that is how the U16 PDA Strikers lost to the U15 Barcelona team in the Florida tournament.

Comment

And that is how the U16 PDA Strikers lost to the U15 Barcelona team in the Florida tournament.
                      Those Barcelona girls played legit soccer. So calm on the ball. Never in a hurry. Nice to watch.

Comment

Agree. 8-0 would indicate something was up. Had to be in a tourney and 8-0 indicates mis-flighting in one of two ways.

1. Your team should have been flight 1 EDP
                        2. The team you beat should have been in a lower bracket, based on the team they brang.

What age was it? What club is your team.
                        Not surprised ECRL is awful...probably a scrimmage but perhaps the op could share more.

Comment

What’s your soccer IQ ha ha

Comment

Adapt

Good teams will adapt to the style of play the game dictates due to opponent/field conditions/refs etc. Sometimes all it takes is picking the biggest girl and making sure her teammates know you won't hesitate to cut the grass with her if they keep coming in late etc.

Pressure also works even at the highest levels ala Liverpool but it also doesn't work against every team or every game. Everything has its place.

Comment

My D's ECRL team played with only 10 players against an EDP div1 team and beat them 3-1 (EDP team played with 11 and 4 subs). Stuff happens.
                              Doesn't mean much, I doubt the EDP team was any higher then a mid tier division. My D's EDP now GA team destroyed an ECRL team 12-1 during a scrimmage and has lost to maybe 2 ECNL teams over the years after playing dozens on time against them. So what.

Comment

Doesn't mean much, I doubt the EDP team was any higher then a mid tier division. My D's EDP now GA team destroyed an ECRL team 12-1 during a scrimmage and has lost to maybe 2 ECNL teams over the years after playing dozens on time against them. So what.
                                Our D’s team/club coach stays away from playing ECRL teams now as they’ve also had a couple lopsided scrimmages in the last year. Honestly does not do anyone any good. Perhaps a limited experience on our side but glad we stopped. Beating someone 6,7,8 nil is useless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X