Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    how good are you? how good is the kid?
    both clearly better than you.

Comment

player vs team

both clearly better than you.
      just trying to clarify the definition of "good"....are you all league good? all-county? all-state? divion 1,2,3 good? all-american? were you MNT? please let us know.

since the above clarifications are voted and/or classified by other coaches its an indicator of how "good" a player really is....please clarify what we mean by good, or perhaps you are full of BS.

Comment

The coach's on here are changing the premise with their posts. Yes some kids don't practice on their own but a lot do. The issue with playing time is not how good the kid is, especially on a team when most of the kids are pretty good and they all have some weaknesses in their game.

The issue is the crazy parents. Most text, email, corner the coach to get more playing time for their kid. And it works!!

The parents that just drop the kid off at practice, never communicate with the coach unless it is to confirm game or practice time are doing their kids a disservice. Why? Because even though coach's preach effort, skill, leadership, teamwork are the traits that get you more playing time the real thing that gets a kid more playing time is having a crazy psycho parent that berates and threatens the coach into playing their kid.

So what is a normal parent to do?
        1) be honest/realistic. Your kid might not be as good as you think. Maybe the team just isn't a good fit
        2) if politics really is the issue, change clubs. All clubs will have some, but some clubs have much less of it
        3) teach your kid that hard work and doing the right thing matters.
        4) accept you can't solve all your kids' problems and pick your battles. It's youth soccer, not the college admissions arms race.
        5) take a few deep breaths. Depending on the age they may or not even be playing it two years from now. Things tend to work out for a reason even if it may not feel like it at the time

Comment

Good advice. I am pretty much resolved to NOT step in and let the kid handle it. I don't want to perpetuate the psycho parenting.

Comment

The coach's on here are changing the premise with their posts. Yes some kids don't practice on their own but a lot do. The issue with playing time is not how good the kid is, especially on a team when most of the kids are pretty good and they all have some weaknesses in their game.

The issue is the crazy parents. Most text, email, corner the coach to get more playing time for their kid. And it works!!

The parents that just drop the kid off at practice, never communicate with the coach unless it is to confirm game or practice time are doing their kids a disservice. Why? Because even though coach's preach effort, skill, leadership, teamwork are the traits that get you more playing time the real thing that gets a kid more playing time is having a crazy psycho parent that berates and threatens the coach into playing their kid.

So what is a normal parent to do?
            that's pure BS. My D has always been brought up for extra training and is considered a coach's pet. Why? She shows up, works hard, does what is asked, and while she is far from an angel, she has personality.

Other than paying my bill and the reply to an e-mail "Yes she can play for XYZ team that is needing players" I don't know if I've ever said a word to her coaches. I sit at the local bar during practice. She makes every game and if they want her there an hour early, she's there 75 minutes early.

This belief you need to hit 'em back fist so your kid can get a shot is pure BS. Those kids will get found out.

Comment

Good advice. I am pretty much resolved to NOT step in and let the kid handle it. I don't want to perpetuate the psycho parenting.
              At a certain age (early middle school) kids need to start learning to self advocate. It will serve them well going into HS, college and life. Sure there's times parent have to step in, but they should always try and do it on their own first (except the little ones, they tend to not always really hear what a coach or teacher is saying). We can't fix everything for them nor should we.

Comment

Absolutely but if you have very aggressive lawnmower parents involved with the team, at some point you may have to do a little advocating. There are some wacko parents and there and putting them and their little superstar up against an inexperienced teen in their own may not be a fair fight.

Comment

that's pure BS. My D has always been brought up for extra training and is considered a coach's pet. Why? She shows up, works hard, does what is asked, and while she is far from an angel, she has personality.

Other than paying my bill and the reply to an e-mail "Yes she can play for XYZ team that is needing players" I don't know if I've ever said a word to her coaches. I sit at the local bar during practice. She makes every game and if they want her there an hour early, she's there 75 minutes early.

This belief you need to hit 'em back fist so your kid can get a shot is pure BS. Those kids will get found out.
                  I am glad for you that your D's coach doesn't listen to outside influences or you have a lot of normal parents on your team. But at our team you can actually hear the parents bragging to each other how they tell the coach when and where their kid will play. Whether it is playing up that weekend, the regular age or both. You even hear the coach starting off meeting by saying, "for all of those that have been texting me and emailing I haven't set the roster yet".

I am telling you, these parents are bat **** crazy.

Comment

Particularly if the lawnmower parents are being placated. If they are being ignored, then all will be fine and they will eventually leave with their player

Comment

I am glad for you that your D's coach doesn't listen to outside influences or you have a lot of normal parents on your team. But at our team you can actually hear the parents bragging to each other how they tell the coach when and where their kid will play. Whether it is playing up that weekend, the regular age or both. You even hear the coach starting off meeting by saying, "for all of those that have been texting me and emailing I haven't set the roster yet".

I am telling you, these parents are bat **** crazy.
                      Yes, I've heard parents saying what they tell the coach. Then I don't see it happen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X