Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You should call but I believe it was less than 30,000.
    Actually I think it's $25K and only for travel. An absolute joke really, especially around here. If that's your annual income you're not playing elite soccer. You're struggling to put food on the table. USSF then also gives clubs $ for 1-2 scholarships for them to decide how to use. Most clubs that have needs based scholarships will require documentation to support to application. The girls side is simply a sport for the middle to upper class here. It is largely for boys but at least MLS clubs are free to play, even travel, for the best players that can make the squads. In addition, as per USSF mandate, more non MLS clubs make an effort to reduce BDA fees while it seems GDA clubs do not.

Comment

Actually I think it's $25K and only for travel. An absolute joke really, especially around here. If that's your annual income you're not playing elite soccer. You're struggling to put food on the table. USSF then also gives clubs $ for 1-2 scholarships for them to decide how to use. Most clubs that have needs based scholarships will require documentation to support to application. The girls side is simply a sport for the middle to upper class here. It is largely for boys but at least MLS clubs are free to play, even travel, for the best players that can make the squads. In addition, as per USSF mandate, more non MLS clubs make an effort to reduce BDA fees while it seems GDA clubs do not.
      GDA clubs do not get any support from US soccer for scholarships. It is up to the clubs to scholarship players through their own funding for tuition. You must make less than $25k to qualify for travel scholarships, and those qualifying for scholarships must complete 6 projects throughout the year to earn the $1200 in scholarship money they allot you. $1200 does not even cover one showcase travel expense

Comment

GDA clubs do not get any support from US soccer for scholarships. It is up to the clubs to scholarship players through their own funding for tuition. You must make less than $25k to qualify for travel scholarships, and those qualifying for scholarships must complete 6 projects throughout the year to earn the $1200 in scholarship money they allot you. $1200 does not even cover one showcase travel expense
        Lower income players are not part of club youth sports. These are businesses and they want customers with cash to spend.

Comment

So in other words, if you're asking about affordability you can't afford it.

Comment

GDA or ECNL?

Lower income players are not part of club youth sports. These are businesses and they want customers with cash to spend.
            $1200 barely covered my college text books for two semesters....and this was 20years ago!!!!!!!!!! what a fkg joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So in other words, if you're asking about affordability you can't afford it.
              Find a league without the travel. The so called "national leagues" do not want lower income families involved.

Comment

Also - will she skip HS or will you join GDA after the HS season if you dont mind my asking?
                She has a year to decide since she will only be in 8th grade next year as a 2005. I don't think she cares about playing HS soccer. I think it's us parents who care more about that. The club has already said they do allow players to drop off for HS and come back, but they limit the number. I took this as... if you are good enough they allow it!.

I am not going to comment on where she plays now and where she is going. That would not be fair to her current club. Our experience has been great but just felt like the DA programming as its being sold is what fits her best for this upcoming season.

Comment

She has a year to decide since she will only be in 8th grade next year as a 2005. I don't think she cares about playing HS soccer. I think it's us parents who care more about that. The club has already said they do allow players to drop off for HS and come back, but they limit the number. I took this as... if you are good enough they allow it!.

I am not going to comment on where she plays now and where she is going. That would not be fair to her current club. Our experience has been great but just felt like the DA programming as its being sold is what fits her best for this upcoming season.
                  I originally thought the HS thing would keep kids out of GDA but now I see HS players can play GDA as long as enough dont want it so the club can field a team during HS season. Do you know if all the GDA clubs more or less treat that issue the same? How many did you look at?

Comment

I originally thought the HS thing would keep kids out of GDA but now I see HS players can play GDA as long as enough dont want it so the club can field a team during HS season. Do you know if all the GDA clubs more or less treat that issue the same? How many did you look at?
                    Our club may allow it in special circumstances, but they are pretty opposed to it. Even pointing to a few players who they did this for and how far behind they were when they came back.

Comment

Varies by club but I think by and large most only give waivers for private school and the rest have to suck it up. Clubs have to play their scheduled games and you can't be down too many players. Wins still matter in GDA. Keep in mind HS ball is played at different times across the US so it really only works best where it's a fall sport. As it is the private school waiver doesn't sit well with those who have to give up HS. Letting players play and then come in also is going to create issues with players and parents. You also have to question the ethics of a club that technically is doing what is allowed but isn't following the spirit of the rule. That's a desperation move done by weaker clubs.

Comment

Be very careful on what you choose. I just spoke to a dad last night who was interested in STA's new DA program. When they first approached him, their offer was that his daughter would train 3-4 nights a week throughout the year. He recently was told by another parent whose daughter was also offered a DA spot, and he was told that his daughter could skip the Fall season as many of the current STA players were going to do. Confused, my friend called the DOC and was told that his daughter would train with the 06 boys teams until her 03 teammates could start attending practices. They planned on having younger kids play up during the season so she could get her games in during the fall.

This player almost gave up her spot on a strong 03 ECNL team to play GDA with 05's during the fall and practice with 06 boys

Comment

Be very careful on what you choose. I just spoke to a dad last night who was interested in STA's new DA program. When they first approached him, their offer was that his daughter would train 3-4 nights a week throughout the year. He recently was told by another parent whose daughter was also offered a DA spot, and he was told that his daughter could skip the Fall season as many of the current STA players were going to do. Confused, my friend called the DOC and was told that his daughter would train with the 06 boys teams until her 03 teammates could start attending practices. They planned on having younger kids play up during the season so she could get her games in during the fall.

This player almost gave up her spot on a strong 03 ECNL team to play GDA with 05's during the fall and practice with 06 boys
                          trust clubs as much as you trust buying a used car on Craighslist

Comment

What are you smoking!?! I want that sh*t!

Seriously Dom - keep your MF hate in NJ forum.

Comment

What are you smoking!?! I want that sh*t!

Seriously Dom - keep your MF hate in NJ forum.
                              Who is Dom?

Comment

Who is Dom?
                                Dom Bucci. He runs Matchfit and is the worst of all con artists. He frequents these boards to spread negativity and lies about other clubs to help make his club look good. Matchfit is garbage and everyone knows it...maybe except for the ones that believe his Con

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X