Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NCAA Recruiting Rules

New NCAA recruiting rules officially went into effect on May 1, 2019, affecting a wide range of college sports including men’s and women’s soccer. The rules are aiming to curb early recruiting activity with stricter regulations on communication between college coaches and high school players.

For NCAA Division I men’s and women’s soccer, the new rules include the following:

No communication with a coach until June 15 of sophomore year
    No official or unofficial visits until August 1 of junior year
    No verbal offers until August 1 of junior year
    Although official forms of communication between college coaches and high school players will now be allowed slightly earlier in the recruiting process, the new rules will eliminate the ability for unofficial verbal offers prior to August 1 ahead of the player’s junior year of high school.

Recruiting conversations between college coaches and intermediaries such as parents, club coaches and high school coaches, will also be forbidden prior to June 15 following the player’s sophomore year of high school. Before that date, no recruiting conversations of any kind are allowed, including discussions of scholarships or financial aid.

However, college coaches will still be allowed to communicate with club and high school coaches to discuss freshman and sophomore players that the college coach is interested in recruiting. Those conversations will be strictly limited to college coaches discussing players they are specifically interested in, rather than allowing for the solicitation of college coaches.

Moving forward, college coaches will be allowed to discuss freshman or sophomore recruits with club/high school coaches, but only if that coach is interested in recruiting them. College coaches cannot make unofficial offers or discuss support in admissions or any other form of financial aid.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/coll...o-into-effect/

As much as I loathe LM, he has a helpful graphic

https://www.backofthenet.com/ubbthre...ect#Post721395

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      New NCAA recruiting rules officially went into effect on May 1, 2019, affecting a wide range of college sports including men’s and women’s soccer. The rules are aiming to curb early recruiting activity with stricter regulations on communication between college coaches and high school players.

For NCAA Division I men’s and women’s soccer, the new rules include the following:

No communication with a coach until June 15 of sophomore year
      No official or unofficial visits until August 1 of junior year
      No verbal offers until August 1 of junior year
      Although official forms of communication between college coaches and high school players will now be allowed slightly earlier in the recruiting process, the new rules will eliminate the ability for unofficial verbal offers prior to August 1 ahead of the player’s junior year of high school.

Recruiting conversations between college coaches and intermediaries such as parents, club coaches and high school coaches, will also be forbidden prior to June 15 following the player’s sophomore year of high school. Before that date, no recruiting conversations of any kind are allowed, including discussions of scholarships or financial aid.

However, college coaches will still be allowed to communicate with club and high school coaches to discuss freshman and sophomore players that the college coach is interested in recruiting. Those conversations will be strictly limited to college coaches discussing players they are specifically interested in, rather than allowing for the solicitation of college coaches.

Moving forward, college coaches will be allowed to discuss freshman or sophomore recruits with club/high school coaches, but only if that coach is interested in recruiting them. College coaches cannot make unofficial offers or discuss support in admissions or any other form of financial aid.

Good thing all those parents (I mean) players rushed those early commits.

Comment

As much as I loathe LM, he has a helpful graphic

https://www.backofthenet.com/ubbthre...ect#Post721395

Sure.

Comment

So, basically all this does is take the control of early recruiting out of the hands of the player and family to the club or HS coach. This is bad and going to cause many, many issues.

Comment

So, basically all this does is take the control of early recruiting out of the hands of the player and family to the club or HS coach. This is bad and going to cause many, many issues.
            More importantly it will do nothing to stop early recruiting. It just pushes it under the table. Unless you completely ban all player/coach contact before summer going into junior year contact and ban intermediaries, people will continue take advantage of the loopholes that remain in place.

Comment

Collusion issues in the making. Agree, not good.

Comment

More importantly it will do nothing to stop early recruiting. It just pushes it under the table. Unless you completely ban all player/coach contact before summer going into junior year contact and ban intermediaries, people will continue take advantage of the loopholes that remain in place.
                How so?

Comment

These rules will help everyone. Coaches won’t make so many mistakes recruiting and there will be less transfers

Comment

These rules will help everyone. Coaches won’t make so many mistakes recruiting and there will be less transfers
                    Contrary to what everyone would suppose, the transfer rates for women's soccer are actually half of that of men's (9% vs 18%). Compared to some other sports the rate is pretty low. You can use this tool to sort through all NCAA sports
                    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ges-and-trends

Comment

This is actually a disadvantage for the kids. The kid can always back out. What if they get hurt? How will it benefit them then? No college will back out, or very few, from the offering.

Now the club coach has a potentially manipulative advantage over the kid and family. This will cause many, many issues.

Comment

This is actually a disadvantage for the kids. The kid can always back out. What if they get hurt? How will it benefit them then? No college will back out, or very few, from the offering.

Now the club coach has a potentially manipulative advantage over the kid and family. This will cause many, many issues.
                        They already have that if they are of poor character. There are stories of coaches sabotaging players that did not tow their line. Try to find a coach of good character if you can and avoid the morally challenged. Goes for life in general.

Comment

Seton Hall backed out of all their commitments

Comment

Seton Hall backed out of all their commitments
                            For all or a particular recruiting class?

I think the new rules are a step in the right direction. I am sure most of you noticed all of the announcements of commitments right before May 1st. I can't imagine there was serious consideration to a players future in such an immediate reaction. This is such a huge decision for a family and player. I couldn't imagine forcing my kid to take the first offer thrown their way so they can stunt on social media.

Comment

For all or a particular recruiting class?

I think the new rules are a step in the right direction. I am sure most of you noticed all of the announcements of commitments right before May 1st. I can't imagine there was serious consideration to a players future in such an immediate reaction. This is such a huge decision for a family and player. I couldn't imagine forcing my kid to take the first offer thrown their way so they can stunt on social media.
                              Players are also expected to take themselves off the market so now they are off the market. Early recruiting will still go on. Players/families/club should keep it on the down low to avoid scrutiny. But telling a 15 year old girl not to blast anything on social media is like sticking your finger in the hole the iceberg made in the Titanic.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X