•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Causing Ref Shortage

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/a...205277104.html

No games because of no ref.

A lot of parents are idiots. They all think that their Little Landon or Little Mia are so great and can never do wrong. Additionally, those that are the most outspoken seem to have the least understanding of the rules of the game - any game and in in any sport. I would never ref. The verbal abuse isn't worth it.

Comment

I have been a referee for 3 years. I was an AR at a TARSA (traveling rec) tournament outside of Tampa for a U16 girls game. I was standing on the mid line and the defenders for the team to my right were playing about 10 yards into the half of the field they were attacking & the forward of the other team was a yard inside her half of the field. The ball got cleared into the other half and the parents were screaming OFFSIDES (it's not plural, folks). Even when I explained that the attacker was well within her half of the field when the ball was kicked (thus, impossible to be offside) they disagreed.

What most parents don't understand (in addition to not understanding MANY of the rules of the game) is that the AR isn't watching what is happening to the ball, they are watching the second to last defender and the attacking players while glancing at the action where the ball is to catch the moment the ball is passed. Most spectators only watch where the action is and have NO clue where the position of downfield players is when the ball is kicked/headed.

Do I want to quit? No. I really don't care about parents, I do it to give back to the game and I do it for the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I have been a referee for 3 years. I was an AR at a TARSA (traveling rec) tournament outside of Tampa for a U16 girls game. I was standing on the mid line and the defenders for the team to my right were playing about 10 yards into the half of the field they were attacking & the forward of the other team was a yard inside her half of the field. The ball got cleared into the other half and the parents were screaming OFFSIDES (it's not plural, folks). Even when I explained that the attacker was well within her half of the field when the ball was kicked (thus, impossible to be offside) they disagreed.

What most parents don't understand (in addition to not understanding MANY of the rules of the game) is that the AR isn't watching what is happening to the ball, they are watching the second to last defender and the attacking players while glancing at the action where the ball is to catch the moment the ball is passed. Most spectators only watch where the action is and have NO clue where the position of downfield players is when the ball is kicked/headed.

Do I want to quit? No. I really don't care about parents, I do it to give back to the game and I do it for the players.
        So do you donate your ref fees to the organization?

Comment

I see what you did there. False equivalence.

No, I don't.

I spent almost 10 hours on the fields that day, I can "give back" to the game without being a martyr.

I pay for my referee uniform and shoes.

I pay for my gas to travel to games.

I pay for zip ties to fix the holes in goal nets that are falling apart.

If you think I do it just to make money (my total fees last year represented .48% of my income), I hope your understanding of the rules of the game are more astute.

Comment

I have two that ref - one almost quit after a series of irrational attacks by parents (as in even the coaches talked to him afterwards and told him he was right, the parents was nuts). He decided to drop down a level in intensity where parents are a little more tame. He'll only do the youngest and oldest ages because he said the u11-u14 parents are the worst. The other one managed to get through it and still does it in college for beer money. There were many times he almost quit. Loads of their friends quit a long the way.

Comment

what if younger kids load GREAT DANE$hip in TRUCK$hop smoking WALNUT$core PECANS?!

what if OLDESTrap smoke HUMBLE PIE$corn FIELDashOUTside chase TURFlies GREN$witch?!

what if MANSFIELD DOBERMAN PINCHERS ran on PITCH smoking by SCHNAUZER TAIL$hop?!

Comment

If anyone who is reading this post was wondering what the OP meant...There it is. PERFECT example of a Douche parent and why there is a shortage.

Comment

If anyone who is reading this post was wondering what the OP meant...There it is. PERFECT example of a Douche parent and why there is a shortage.
                  The same person who will criticize refs and the system while never even considering becoming a ref himself to try and improve the system. Just bit*h bit*h bit*h.

Comment

Reffing shortages are all over, parents are acting so irrational. I never yell at refs it doesn't matter at the end.

Comment

Reffing shortages are all over, parents are acting so irrational. I never yell at refs it doesn't matter at the end.
                      I'm totally guilty of the "come ref" comment (it just kind of slips out) but I've gotten much better), but never a full on tirade as some people launch into. Like you said it doesn't change anything and you look the fool while doing it (people move away while they're screaming and never treat the person the same way again). If the coach has a serious complaint about a call it's his job to question it, not the parents.

Comment

I'm totally guilty of the "come ref" comment (it just kind of slips out) but I've gotten much better), but never a full on tirade as some people launch into. Like you said it doesn't change anything and you look the fool while doing it (people move away while they're screaming and never treat the person the same way again). If the coach has a serious complaint about a call it's his job to question it, not the parents.
                        As a parent and spectator I applaud you. As the parents of referees I applaud you even more.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X