Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Concussions-not club soccer

Just posting because I didn't know about RIO. Do any of our high schools participate in this program?

1. From Science Daily
    Title:
    Female soccer players suffer the most concussions in high school sports
    Study finds significant increase in overall reported concussions since traumatic brain injury laws enacted
    Date:
    March 14, 2017
    Source:
    American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
    Summary:
    High school girls have a significantly higher concussion rate than boys, with female soccer players suffering the most concussions, according to new research.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0314081533.htm

2. Youth Sports Safety Alliance, Colorado School of Public Health
    Title:Trends in High School Sports Concussion:Some Good News Finally?
    R. Dawn Comstock, PhD, Associate Professor, Epidemiology, CSPH
    PIPER Program
    March, 2014: 5th Annual Youth Sports Safety Summit
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0314081533.htm

Looking forward to discussion and what players are doing to protect themselves.
    Soccer clubs here seem to be taking steps via concussion training but what about the schools?

Used to see a lot of padded headgear... now I don't...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Used to see a lot of padded headgear... now I don't...
      That's right. What happened to that gear? I remember the Full90 head gear people at Surf Cup. More players down there wearing it than up here.

Comment

Also this thing:

http://unequal.com/shop/halo/

My 13yrold D can't jump and is the shortest kid on the field so for
        now I'm not that worried.

A football helmet and facemask is what she needs.

Comment

Also this thing:

http://unequal.com/shop/halo/

My 13yrold D can't jump and is the shortest kid on the field so for
          now I'm not that worried.

A football helmet and facemask is what she needs.
          haha, my youngest is slower and less athletic than yours so take that!

Comment

I see less precautions in our club games and practices than our high school.

Club kid gets plowed over head smacks the ground no call, no sub, nothing, after she makes her way back to her feet.

High school they have to take a test before they can play that is a baseline then if there is a question of concussion they have to pass the follow up test before being released back to practice.

Comment

I see less precautions in our club games and practices than our high school.

Club kid gets plowed over head smacks the ground no call, no sub, nothing, after she makes her way back to her feet.

High school they have to take a test before they can play that is a baseline then if there is a question of concussion they have to pass the follow up test before being released back to practice.
              Seen the same. HS rules enforced and folllowed much more strictly. Seen club team players get knocked out, lay on the field for 10 minutes, sit out the rest of the game but play the next day. Club coaches, parents & players ignore the dangers. Why don't the officials report the blows to the head?

Comment

There were a few reports that the headgear wasn't very effective so that's why you see it less. One thing that can make a difference and it's so easy is a mouthguard. They absorb a ton of shock, yet you never see soccer players wear them while all other sports do.

All of my kids have had concussions and I know another HS athlete (different sport) who had two bad successive ones and two years later is still struggling through school and probably won't graduate on time. We do not mess with them at all. Luckily none of my kids' coaches pushed them to play too soon, but many will push. It's tough for kids to gauge also - they can start to feel better and are dying to start doing regular things again, then once symptoms rea-appear they don't want to scale back again.

Comment

Seen the same. HS rules enforced and folllowed much more strictly. Seen club team players get knocked out, lay on the field for 10 minutes, sit out the rest of the game but play the next day. Club coaches, parents & players ignore the dangers. Why don't the officials report the blows to the head?
                  A lot of HS require a baseline test, but your pediatricians can do them as well or help you get one. It's fast and inexpensive and a good reference point if a concussion is suspected.
                  They're recommended for kids over 10 and for ages 10-15 it's recommended you re-do it every two years because of brain development changes as they go through puberty.

Comment

Only seen one ref in OYSA that follows the concussion protocols. Don't think the refs are as worried as the schools about being sued.

Comment

Tying to understand time period and clubs you're mentioning as OYSA and some clubs have protocols in place.

From what I've been told, Westside teamed up with Providence to educate coaches and families. They put protocols in place and all families have to read and keep copies. Coaches have protocols and a form they fill out and players aren't allowed to play until the club receives a signed release from the doctor. OYSA now is doing the same thing:

"These materials are more completely documented in a Concussion Management Memorandum that has been distributed to OYSA member clubs."

FYI-the OYSA memorandum link is dead but all of the forms are on their site:
                      http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/risk_management

Comment

Tying to understand time period and clubs you're mentioning as OYSA and some clubs have protocols in place.

From what I've been told, Westside teamed up with Providence to educate coaches and families. They put protocols in place and all families have to read and keep copies. Coaches have protocols and a form they fill out and players aren't allowed to play until the club receives a signed release from the doctor. OYSA now is doing the same thing:

"These materials are more completely documented in a Concussion Management Memorandum that has been distributed to OYSA member clubs."

FYI-the OYSA memorandum link is dead but all of the forms are on their site:
                        http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/risk_management
                        Particular bad incident was last year & not Westside. Have seen more than a handful of blows to the head this year as well with either "play on" or player saying "I'm ok" and then "play on". Parents complain about how hard it is to get released to return to play in HS. Refs, clubs, parents & players in oysa follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The officials need to follow the procedures since the parents & coaches won't. Well, unless it's a bench player. They can sit out till they're better.

Comment

Particular bad incident was last year & not Westside. Have seen more than a handful of blows to the head this year as well with either "play on" or player saying "I'm ok" and then "play on". Parents complain about how hard it is to get released to return to play in HS. Refs, clubs, parents & players in oysa follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The officials need to follow the procedures since the parents & coaches won't. Well, unless it's a bench player. They can sit out till they're better.
                          Seen plenty of coaches and parents look the other way about concussions in order to keep Suzie Star on the field. There will be regret down the road.

Comment

It should be hard to get released to play in high school if the doctor is not ready to sign off on the release. Does this mean that players aren't telling their clubs if they had concussions during high school season? Scary stuff here.

Comment

It should be hard to get released to play in high school if the doctor is not ready to sign off on the release. Does this mean that players aren't telling their clubs if they had concussions during high school season? Scary stuff here.
                              Schools do have tougher protocols because usually a doctor has to ok return to play and sign a form. Clubs don't require that, just the player or parent saying they're ok to play. Even then players can fake their way through it. This happened to friend who is a pediatrician - football player lied, was okd to return and suffered another concussion and missed months of school.

Walk away from any coach that is pressuring your kid to return. They are supposed to be symptom free for a full week before returning to moderate activities. If any symptoms return stop activity immediately and wait longer. A 2nd blow to the head too soon after a first concussion can have lifelong consequences. I've seen it first hand. It's just not worth messing around with the only brain you have

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X