Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution Academy needs to make some changes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    NEFC & Bolts are pay to play clubs, so of course their extra trips are going to cost money. It would be interesting to see if other MLS clubs, where players all players are getting a free ride, are footing the bill for travel to extra tournaments or training experiences during the unscheduled time. That would be a better comparison. If they aren't, then the league should go back to the old schedule with more league games. Having kids at MLS academies just sitting at home because the club can't afford to give them all a few weeks of "enrichment" games/training isn't doing their supposedly top players any good.
    US Soccer should fund these-

Comment

more like expect excuses. "wah it costs too much!"
      I have been on a few of the trips with my older son and I think they are a great experience. If you are looking for a nice experience with some soccer mixed in they are good. But, it really depends on the team and who is going. Many times it is a mix of ability and basically who can afford to pay for the trip. Typically a whole team cannot go so the club will add kids from lower teams.

Point being the trips are a money grab for the clubs. If you are going With the thought it will be a huge development opprortunity you are making an expensive mistake. Still fun but you can save thousands by just sending your kid with the team and making your own arrangements. Better quality hotel and better food.

Comment

Atlanta for the GA Cup. North Carolina and Florida for showcases. Other academies require the families to pay for those trips.
        Up to $2500/ person for the NEFC trip to England in February (yikes!).
        Wait. Stop the presses. GA Cup is only MLS. What MLS club made families pay?

Comment

US Soccer should fund these-
          Will never, ever happen. USSF has pushed the costs of development onto clubs. MLS clubs are expected to cover everything. Pay to play clubs are expected to reduce fees, cutting deeply into their profit margins. Travel costs and time are already absurd in the league. Now families are paying MORE to get in a few more games.

Comment

I have been on a few of the trips with my older son and I think they are a great experience. If you are looking for a nice experience with some soccer mixed in they are good. But, it really depends on the team and who is going. Many times it is a mix of ability and basically who can afford to pay for the trip. Typically a whole team cannot go so the club will add kids from lower teams.

Point being the trips are a money grab for the clubs. If you are going With the thought it will be a huge development opprortunity you are making an expensive mistake. Still fun but you can save thousands by just sending your kid with the team and making your own arrangements. Better quality hotel and better food.
            It's no secret these trips are opportunities for NON MLS clubs to make money. They need money to pay for facilities and coaches. They don't have the luxury of first teams and owners with deep pockets to pay for these things. For families or parents to attend, which I've experienced, is purely a choice in most cases. My son loved these trips and I do think they were an opportunity to develop and learn. Huge? No. But awesome to get a flavor of European soccer and coaching. Plus fanned his flames of desire to achieve. It was worth the $20 an hour.

Comment

Wait. Stop the presses. GA Cup is only MLS. What MLS club made families pay?
              I can't speak to any specific tournaments and who had to pay for what. As far as I know, D.C. United and Minnesota United are not fully funded. San Jose and Houston charge for tryouts. SKC requires that players by a season ticket to first team games.

Comment

So no extra tournaments or games scheduled. Will ProProject pick up the slack then?
                How much does ProProject cost and who makes money off of it? Website very mysterious and I find the silence on this thread about it fascinating. We see the pics of who is doing it. Mostly REVs kids. Looks like they have to pay to play too.

Comment

I can't speak to any specific tournaments and who had to pay for what. As far as I know, D.C. United and Minnesota United are not fully funded. San Jose and Houston charge for tryouts. SKC requires that players by a season ticket to first team games.
                  Agree that DC United still charges DA kids for the season. That doesn't mean they also pay to attend the GA cup. But I will ask around on that one. Also my understanding is DC is the only MLS club that still charges, according to recent rankings of MLS Club DAs in the Athletic.

Charging for tryouts doesn't seem unreasonable to me necessarily. RDS is kind of a "tryout" which carries a cost to players. Again doesn't mean San Jose or Houston require players to pay pick up the tab for MLS tournaments.

SKC requiring season tickets sounds absolutely bogus.

Comment

How much does ProProject cost and who makes money off of it? Website very mysterious and I find the silence on this thread about it fascinating. We see the pics of who is doing it. Mostly REVs kids. Looks like they have to pay to play too.
                    The website has all the prices listed.

Comment

Ex and current Revs kids. And those players are driving even farther than Foxboro to attend ProProject practices. I would venture that the players get more from this club than from their Rev coaches, but it’s a lot of friggin effort (and sitting in the car!)

Comment

Ex and current Revs kids. And those players are driving even farther than Foxboro to attend ProProject practices. I would venture that the players get more from this club than from their Rev coaches, but it’s a lot of friggin effort (and sitting in the car!)
                        Top Bolts, GPS and NEFC players too, also college players.

Comment

SKC requiring season tickets sounds absolutely bogus.
                          I should have been more specific. There is a membership fee that includes season tickets. From https://www.sportingkc.com/academy/faq (which I would not be surprised if it is outdated info)

How much does it cost to play for the SKC Academy?

The SKC Academy is a strong opponent of pay to play models and does its best to reduce costs for players to play at a high level of soccer. While all SKC Academy players are required to pay a membership fee (which includes a season ticket to SKC games), the U19, U17 & U15 SKC Academy teams are fully funded and do not have to pay costs associated to coaching, facilities, travel, equipment, leagues, tournaments, and referee fees, etc. The U13 & U12 SKC Academy teams are partially funded as the players only pay for costs associated with travel (transportation, housing, and meals) related to SKC Academy trips.

Comment

I should have been more specific. There is a membership fee that includes season tickets. From https://www.sportingkc.com/academy/faq (which I would not be surprised if it is outdated info)

How much does it cost to play for the SKC Academy?

The SKC Academy is a strong opponent of pay to play models and does its best to reduce costs for players to play at a high level of soccer. While all SKC Academy players are required to pay a membership fee (which includes a season ticket to SKC games), the U19, U17 & U15 SKC Academy teams are fully funded and do not have to pay costs associated to coaching, facilities, travel, equipment, leagues, tournaments, and referee fees, etc. The U13 & U12 SKC Academy teams are partially funded as the players only pay for costs associated with travel (transportation, housing, and meals) related to SKC Academy trips.
                            Interesting. Wonder how much the membership fee is. GA Cup is U15 up. I don't think there is one for U14. Thanks for clarifying.

The larger issue - which is an issue brought up a lot on this post - is that there is no real situation that isn't pay to play in some way in US Soccer. Even Revs kids pay. Either at Valeo, NEFC, or Bolts at a younger age in order to get to Revs. Revs players pay for additional training. Be it private or organized. Summer programs. Etc.

Thinking about it, there is not other professional sports environment in the US that pays for the development of their athletes. We can't compare US Soccer to BPL because it's nowhere near the level of dollars. Is it fair to demand they pay for the development of all the players? The majority of which won't end up in professional soccer?

Comment

Top Bolts, GPS and NEFC players too, also college players.
                              That’s so cool 😎

Comment

The larger issue - which is an issue brought up a lot on this post - is that there is no real situation that isn't pay to play in some way in US Soccer. Even Revs kids pay.
                                Revs you will pay with your soul, your dignity, your sons love of the game. Yes it’s free but it will cost you everything. Not worth it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X