Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So what is your proof that the majority of kids with single parents or low income parents are left to themselves and their parents don't give a shyte?

Where are your facts that prove this is the trend of the group as a whole"

Without facts, you are talking out your arse.
    The proof is there are free or very low cost opportunities for kids to play sports. So if you are on here whining away that only rich kids can play soccer YOU are talking out of your ***** (not arse, not sure where you grew up).

Not all parents single or otherwise are too lazy to get their kids in soccer but some are and sadly its getting to be a higher and higher percentage as kids participation goes down.

I stand by what I wrote, if a kid wants to play its up to the parents and if they aren't playing, its mostly due to parents not givng a crap if the kid plays or not. Not economics.

Comment

^ you're free to stand by what you wrote. It doesn't make it factually or ethically correct.

Comment

The proof is there are free or very low cost opportunities for kids to play sports. So if you are on here whining away that only rich kids can play soccer YOU are talking out of your ***** (not arse, not sure where you grew up).

Not all parents single or otherwise are too lazy to get their kids in soccer but some are and sadly its getting to be a higher and higher percentage as kids participation goes down.

I stand by what I wrote, if a kid wants to play its up to the parents and if they aren't playing, its mostly due to parents not givng a crap if the kid plays or not. Not economics.
        An elitest that just keeps repeating what they think. They then re-read their own posts and it just re-enforces their own thoughts. Sounds like a president i know.

Some people will never get a clue because they just cant put themselves in a different situation.

regardless the problems with society and people like this poster do not need to be debated on this type of site

Comment

An elitest that just keeps repeating what they think. They then re-read their own posts and it just re-enforces their own thoughts. Sounds like a president i know.

Some people will never get a clue because they just cant put themselves in a different situation.

regardless the problems with society and people like this poster do not need to be debated on this type of site
          Riiiiiiiight. Because everyone has $3K+ for tuition and another 5K for league travel and showcase travel expenses.

Comment

So instead I just sit in my ivory classroom and say no one has any personal responsibility for anything?

It is obvious from your post you never volunteered in Hartford or any struggling community and interacted with the parents and guardians of these kids. Try it and come back here and see if you can be honest in your assessment of what you experienced.

Perhaps if you start now you can help get these kids to the first day of school their parents are too lazy to force them to attend.

Comment

Riiiiiiiight. Because everyone has $3K+ for tuition and another 5K for league travel and showcase travel expenses.
              So you come on here and write that DA, GDA, ECNL and all these pay for play clubs suck, the travel sucks and isn't needed. But then when someone writes there are good options for low cost $50/season and free clinics all the time you write the above quoted statement? But of course you are just fighting the elitists so anything you say is correct. Much like AOC you don't need to be factually correct if you feel you are morally right.

Comment

So instead I just sit in my ivory classroom and say no one has any personal responsibility for anything?

It is obvious from your post you never volunteered in Hartford or any struggling community and interacted with the parents and guardians of these kids. Try it and come back here and see if you can be honest in your assessment of what you experienced.

Perhaps if you start now you can help get these kids to the first day of school their parents are too lazy to force them to attend.

I'll give you better.

I was one of those kids. My mom had to raise four of us on her own. She got married before she graduated high school and I was born two hours after the end of her 18th birthday. My old man was a cruel jackass who hit on her until she couldn't take it or the abuse he poured on us kids.

She spent years struggling to pay rent, put food on the table and keep some level of decent clothing on our backs. I watched her get beat down having to run daycare out of her house all my youth and then go wait tables at the diner or go tend bar most every night. Driving around a piece of crap car.

She did it with grace. She did it because she loved us and she did the absolute best she could for us. She was the bravest and smartest woman I have known in my life, because she raised us all and all of us have done pretty well from what we learned and saw from her. A great role model.

There was no dance classes for my sisters. I had to scrap around and scratch up what money I could to play Little League and other youth sports. There was no way I could expect my mom to do that on top of all the other burdens she carried.

There were lots of kids in my neighborhood who experienced the same. I doubt that most of us would not feel the same about our parents and how hard they worked to make a life for us. Personal responsibility comes in many shapes and forms. Not just how well a parent can get a kid into youth sports or not.

I doubt my mom saw me play more than 100 times in my life, between youth sports and high school. Not because she was lazy and uncaring, but because she was working her ass off for her kids.

Perhaps if you actually "lived" the life or "walked the walk", you could "talk the talk" here with some authority.

Comment

I actually have done plenty of volunteering in bridgeport at the schools and boys and girls club. Lots of people with good hearts but struggling. Very well meaning parents that just dont have the means to pull themselves up.

I am not as ignorant as you with regard to this part of the world. It took me along time to realize that you as individual can only do so much to help but even a little is more than they had to begin with.

Comment

I'll give you better.

I was one of those kids. My mom had to raise four of us on her own. She got married before she graduated high school and I was born two hours after the end of her 18th birthday. My old man was a cruel jackass who hit on her until she couldn't take it or the abuse he poured on us kids.

She spent years struggling to pay rent, put food on the table and keep some level of decent clothing on our backs. I watched her get beat down having to run daycare out of her house all my youth and then go wait tables at the diner or go tend bar most every night. Driving around a piece of crap car.

She did it with grace. She did it because she loved us and she did the absolute best she could for us. She was the bravest and smartest woman I have known in my life, because she raised us all and all of us have done pretty well from what we learned and saw from her. A great role model.

There was no dance classes for my sisters. I had to scrap around and scratch up what money I could to play Little League and other youth sports. There was no way I could expect my mom to do that on top of all the other burdens she carried.

There were lots of kids in my neighborhood who experienced the same. I doubt that most of us would not feel the same about our parents and how hard they worked to make a life for us. Personal responsibility comes in many shapes and forms. Not just how well a parent can get a kid into youth sports or not.

I doubt my mom saw me play more than 100 times in my life, between youth sports and high school. Not because she was lazy and uncaring, but because she was working her ass off for her kids.

Perhaps if you actually "lived" the life or "walked the walk", you could "talk the talk" here with some authority.
                    And what you write above is why there is a decline in youth soccer and sports? You see your situation as typical for kids today that don't play sports vs 20 years ago? You even write that you played sports? So what *** are you talking about? We are talking about kids that don't play sports and people who claim it all has to do with how expensive it is to play.

And please don't take one extreme example and try to make a case for every situation. We are talking generalities. Today most people don't have 4+ kids and getting married at 18. There are also great programs for free for people who cannot afford it. For example I know Ajax has given free scholarships to a single Mom who was in similar situation to your family. The only thing she had to do was ask or NOT be a lazy parent.

And when I say lazy parents it is not directed solely at low-income families however if you have money you can get around it easier by paying for someone else to do it as someone already pointed out.

I have walked the walk, grew up poor but now am not. I have lazy parent syndrome in my own family and see relatives too self absorbed to put their kids in sports. Even when the kid wants to do it.

I have also volunteered a lot in Hartford and see good parents that want better for their kids but a lot of parents (most) that don't give a rats ass about them.

So again, if we are going to get on here and post articles about the decline in youth sports because it is so expensive I call BS. There are cheap options out there and if you aren't getting your kid into those programs then it is lazy parenting.

Comment

I actually have done plenty of volunteering in bridgeport at the schools and boys and girls club. Lots of people with good hearts but struggling. Very well meaning parents that just dont have the means to pull themselves up.

I am not as ignorant as you with regard to this part of the world. It took me along time to realize that you as individual can only do so much to help but even a little is more than they had to begin with.
                      You call me ignorant but you are validating what I am saying. As an individual volunteer you can only do so much. The rest is up to the parents. If the you are saying ALL or MOST of the parents you meet have big hearts and are just struggling than I say they must have taken some action to get them into the boys/girls club you are working at. That is the exact opposite of lazy parenting as they have taken some action for their kids.

I am saying the decline in sports is from parents who take no action for the benefit of their kids and you can call me ignorant all you want but it is an increasing trend in an increasing narcissistic society. Blaming pay-for-play clubs is a false narrative.

Comment

You call me ignorant but you are validating what I am saying. As an individual volunteer you can only do so much. The rest is up to the parents. If the you are saying ALL or MOST of the parents you meet have big hearts and are just struggling than I say they must have taken some action to get them into the boys/girls club you are working at. That is the exact opposite of lazy parenting as they have taken some action for their kids.

I am saying the decline in sports is from parents who take no action for the benefit of their kids and you can call me ignorant all you want but it is an increasing trend in an increasing narcissistic society. Blaming pay-for-play clubs is a false narrative.

The Aspen Institute tracks overall sports participation and by top sports. It also breaks it down by income. All groups have experienced increases in inactive kids but families with incomes between $50-$100K saw the largest changes. Those are the kinds of families getting squeezed by higher costs of living, static economics and the inability to afford college. The lowest income group has remained constant and always the largest largest because of lack of funds and time. Never had money, never will. Families making over $100K make up the largest group of youth sports participants, a full 35 points higher than low income kids. https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-...-youth-sports/

Comment

The Aspen Institute tracks overall sports participation and by top sports. It also breaks it down by income. All groups have experienced increases in inactive kids but families with incomes between $50-$100K saw the largest changes. Those are the kinds of families getting squeezed by higher costs of living, static economics and the inability to afford college. The lowest income group has remained constant and always the largest largest because of lack of funds and time. Never had money, never will. Families making over $100K make up the largest group of youth sports participants, a full 35 points higher than low income kids. https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-...-youth-sports/
                          Exactly, if you make $50k to $100k per year you can afford programs like in Hartford that are $50/season. It is just laziness.

Comment

Exactly, if you make $50k to $100k per year you can afford programs like in Hartford that are $50/season. It is just laziness.
                            you are lazy for just repeating your mantra without adding any counterpoints. It is amazing. if there was true merit you would not be in the position you are in now. I try to instill in my kids that all though we are not rich it still takes hard work and alot of luck to survive in this society.

Comment

you are lazy for just repeating your mantra without adding any counterpoints. It is amazing. if there was true merit you would not be in the position you are in now. I try to instill in my kids that all though we are not rich it still takes hard work and alot of luck to survive in this society.
                              You only read what you want to read. I already said it is not a rich/poor issue except for the fact that people with money can pawn their kids off on someone else so there is still participation from the kids. If you are poor you have to do the work yourself.

And you never counterpoint the argument that there are plenty of low cost leagues and free clinics so then how is it the fault of pay-for-play clubs?

Your own link backs up the fact that these people can afford $50/season.

Comment

Yes, sessions designed for younger kids to learn the game. ASYO is generally about $125. But as kids get older and want bigger challenges you have to pay up. Once you hit middle school there are fewer and fewer options for kids, and by HS age forget it. Our very affordable town program (and not a wealthy town either) stops at U12.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X