Division 3 college: NESCAC vs UAA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as an FYI, it would seem as though NESCAC schools have partnered with other universities to offer a dual degree which includes engineering. However it is a 5 or 6 year program

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Just as an FYI, it would seem as though NESCAC schools have partnered with other universities to offer a dual degree which includes engineering. However it is a 5 or 6 year program
      Yes, it's usually a 3+2 program where students spend the first 3 years at a NESCAC school and then the last 2 years at an Ivy League or UAA school. The plus is that you walk away with two degrees, but the downside is that you only get to play 3 years of soccer (unless you are strong enough to walk on to a squad for a single year) and you have to pay for another year of school.

Comment

Yes, it's usually a 3+2 program where students spend the first 3 years at a NESCAC school and then the last 2 years at an Ivy League or UAA school. The plus is that you walk away with two degrees, but the downside is that you only get to play 3 years of soccer (unless you are strong enough to walk on to a squad for a single year) and you have to pay for another year of school.
        And it's a very big number for that extra year

Comment

You can do a 4-2 program as well.

Comment

If you are playing division three soccer then you likely use the soccer to get into a better academic school. Therefore, I assume, that the academics is the higher priority. Whether or not you play three or four years of soccer probably doesn’t matter as much as getting a degree and a job.

Comment

If you are playing division three soccer then you likely use the soccer to get into a better academic school. Therefore, I assume, that the academics is the higher priority. Whether or not you play three or four years of soccer probably doesn’t matter as much as getting a degree and a job.
              Yes, but why not maximize both and do so in a way that doesn't cost $70,000 more?

Comment

Yes, but why not maximize both and do so in a way that doesn't cost $70,000 more?
                Is there no financial aid available for the 1or 2 extra years at the ivy for the engineering degree

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate this advice! You can lose the forest for the trees as you deal with ID camps, emails, which coach said what, and what does it mean etc etc.
                  I was looking at both the NESCAC and UAA sites. I was pleasantly surprised to see some young men on coaching staffs that were team mates, friends or rivals of my older children. We focus so much on kids becoming pro players that we forget to focus on the future of coaching. The names I recognized were all talented players. I was happy to see it.

Comment

I was just looking at the Massey ratings, and see they rate the UAA conference #1 in the US, and NESCAC #2.

Comment

Is there no financial aid available for the 1or 2 extra years at the ivy for the engineering degree
                      FA is purely income based and you have to have a pretty low income to get decent money. Ivies have more generous need based aid but in the Northeast many families still make too much to qualify.

Comment

FA is purely income based and you have to have a pretty low income to get decent money. Ivies have more generous need based aid but in the Northeast many families still make too much to qualify.
                        You get zero unless you're homeless. We will be in debt for years.

Comment

It is a sad state that college is so unaffordable for the middle class. We are in the same boat. Live paycheck to paycheck but make too much salary to get significant aide.

Comment

It is a sad state that college is so unaffordable for the middle class. We are in the same boat. Live paycheck to paycheck but make too much salary to get significant aide.
                            Agree. I have 1 kid that has solid career path and will be able to recover from the massive debt but the other really doesn't know what they want to do. Decent merit and athletic scholarship doesn't cover the $60k a year bill. Very sad.

Comment

or illegal....

Comment

or illegal....
                                agree

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X