Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your kid in it for college or dreams of a professional career?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your kid in it for college or dreams of a professional career?

Some of the threads seem to go off on tangents about either side of the coin. Do you think it's better to focus on the college opportunity for academics or for a professional soccer future?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some of the threads seem to go off on tangents about either side of the coin. Do you think it's better to focus on the college opportunity for academics or for a professional soccer future?
    If you are asking about what their motivation should be it should be for the love of the game. They should love playing and have fun doing it or they will never play enough to accomplish either of your options.

Comment

My kid is in it because she loves it and for the collegiate opportunities that soccer can afford her. Private schools average between 50-70 grand and while we have some money saved up for her education, we didn't earmark a quarter of a million dollars for undergrad, lol. Based on our experience with her older sibling, she'll get some academic merit money, but it won't cover the full nut, not even half. We're not interested in Loans, other than the couple thousand for Stafford, so soccer money would be helpful in expanding her options beyond the ones that are feasible and within our budget.

Comment

If you are asking about what their motivation should be it should be for the love of the game. They should love playing and have fun doing it or they will never play enough to accomplish either of your options.
        dumb remark. so she plans on going D1 on just her love for the game. give me a break.

Comment

OP forgot the primary reason - because they love it.
          No one should be in it for dreams of college scholarships. If it happens that's great but the odds are slim, even less $ for men. Pro? Nice dream but even less realistic. Neither will happen without the passion and drive to get them there. Your kid could be highly skilled but that isn't enough

Comment

dumb remark. so she plans on going D1 on just her love for the game. give me a break.
            You dont understand what it takes to reach the highest levels. If she is 8, 10, 12, 13 and her motivating factor for playing soccer is to get a scholarship I can promise you she will not play enough to get one. You as a parent can have your motivation be scholarships but the player should play because she loves playing.

Comment

You dont understand what it takes to reach the highest levels. If she is 8, 10, 12, 13 and her motivating factor for playing soccer is to get a scholarship I can promise you she will not play enough to get one. You as a parent can have your motivation be scholarships but the player should play because she loves playing.
              Know a lot of 8 year old's who talk about college scholarships, do you?

Comment

There's always one idiot who tries to zero in on one single part of a person's comment. I feel like it's the same person over and over. Let me fill in the rest of the ages for you then....14, 15, 16. Happy?

Comment

My daughter is in it for the love of the game and the joy and satisfaction that comes with playing at a high level. She’s also a serious student and hopes to find a good college where she can also play soccer. She’d love to be on a top 50 D1 team but she wants to play not ride the pine so she’ll go lower D1 or D3 and to a good academic school that is good in her major of study.

My son plays soccer for fun. He’s more serious about basketball and will probably quit soccer next year.

Comment

My daughter is in it for the love of the game and the joy and satisfaction that comes with playing at a high level. She’s also a serious student and hopes to find a good college where she can also play soccer. She’d love to be on a top 50 D1 team but she wants to play not ride the pine so she’ll go lower D1 or D3 and to a good academic school that is good in her major of study.

My son plays soccer for fun. He’s more serious about basketball and will probably quit soccer next year.
                    Pro soccer $30k a year, Aiming high I see

Comment

Of course kids don't talk about it, but their parents sure do. Hang around U11 parents whose team is having success. They think winning a tournament means their darlings will get free rides to top schools. Reality starts to hit in middle school when puberty, changing interests, bigger field and prior reliance on sheer athleticism starts to separate the real talent from the rest.

Comment

Pro soccer $30k a year, Aiming high I see
                        Did you even read the post? Poster/kid have the right attitude. Virtually no parent wants a pro career for their daughters, but they sure would love a nice scholarship to a good school.

Comment

I think it depends on circumstances and situations. My kid knew at 12/13 that she wanted to play D1. But we are a big sports family and she has seen older sibling and cousins go through the recruiting process and play in college at different levels.

Comment

Of course kids don't talk about it, but their parents sure do. Hang around U11 parents whose team is having success. They think winning a tournament means their darlings will get free rides to top schools. Reality starts to hit in middle school when puberty, changing interests, bigger field and prior reliance on sheer athleticism starts to separate the real talent from the rest.
                            So very, very true. Know many kids that were id'ed at that age and then tapped out by U16 when the others got taller, stronger, faster, fitter, and smarter (soccer iq and iq in general). Some leave the sport entirely and do something else. And the parents never get over it.

Comment

sorry, but this is the typical BS comment. REAL athleticism plays throughout womens soccer. The problem with half the upper middle class parents is they have no idea what real athleticism is. they also dont see it as a "skill" because their kids dont have it and you cant buy it from an expensive trainer or club.

reality hits when mom and dad cant buy it for you anymore. wen the player has to stand alone. A huge part of so called elite soccer for girls is clubs delaying that moment for as long as possible so they can keep taking your money

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X