Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New Jersey

Notices

New Jersey Discussions about New Jersey soccer.

Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Default Odp

I'm trying to decide if ODP is worth it for my 2005 DD. She plays for a top EDP team that have played and beaten ECNL/NPL teams in tournaments. Is ODP worth it for her development or should I just invest in individual training? Can you guys share some of your experiences with ODP? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm trying to decide if ODP is worth it for my 2005 DD. She plays for a top EDP team that have played and beaten ECNL/NPL teams in tournaments. Is ODP worth it for her development or should I just invest in individual training? Can you guys share some of your experiences with ODP? Thanks.
It's $40 for tryouts and seeing where your dd is at. Nothing to lose.
If she makes the pool, then you can decide if it worth it.
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
can i ask why who they have beaten is relevant to your kids development ?
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
can i ask why who they have beaten is relevant to your kids development ?
Not necessarily her development. It was just mentioned to try to gauge if ODP training/competition would be as competitive. It would not be worth it to pay over 1K in annual fees if the training is less than what she currently receives from her team. I'm trying to understand the benefits of the program.
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Depends on your daughter’s goals. I think my daughter benefited this year bc she’s with a smaller club and it exposed her to playing faster with more talent on the field - she had a larger margin for growth perhaps than others who play at higher levels. Coaches were good but practices too infrequent to say they had a huge impact on development. Again, depends on current level of coaching she is getting.

In case you aren’t aware of the structure, these tryouts are for the 19/20 state teams. The regional pools (New England to Virginia) were selected at the recent summer camps. She would have to make the state team and then attend the 2020 camp to be eligible for the region 1 pool.

Another factor is where in NJ you live. It can be difficult to get to Rider for a 5:30 practice during the week.

For us, it was a good experience for one year but we’re weighing the value of doing it again.
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
It's $40 for tryouts and seeing where your dd is at. Nothing to lose.
If she makes the pool, then you can decide if it worth it.
How can you decide if it is worth it by just just getting accepted? Does anyone have any feedback on the training, environment or games that might help? Thanks
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Depends on your daughter’s goals. I think my daughter benefited this year bc she’s with a smaller club and it exposed her to playing faster with more talent on the field - she had a larger margin for growth perhaps than others who play at higher levels. Coaches were good but practices too infrequent to say they had a huge impact on development. Again, depends on current level of coaching she is getting.

In case you aren’t aware of the structure, these tryouts are for the 19/20 state teams. The regional pools (New England to Virginia) were selected at the recent summer camps. She would have to make the state team and then attend the 2020 camp to be eligible for the region 1 pool.

Another factor is where in NJ you live. It can be difficult to get to Rider for a 5:30 practice during the week.

For us, it was a good experience for one year but we’re weighing the value of doing it again.
Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't aware of the structure.
Old 07-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
How can you decide if it is worth it by just just getting accepted? Does anyone have any feedback on the training, environment or games that might help? Thanks
If you're only doing it for extra training it isn't worth it. Who the coaches will be is a total crap shoot. Also by her age all the better players are out of ODP and are in ECNL or DA. If she can make the regional team that affords more college exposure, but only a few make that cut and there's no way of telling going in. Does she even want to play in college?
Again, if it's just for training find a good trainer locally and maybe split the costs with a few other players of a similar level.
Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Key words, "getting accepted". Why worry about anything unless your dd
can make the cut and make the 18 for travel? There are 4 tryout dates
for $40. Use this as a gauge of where your dd is compared to other girls.
This is very similar to a college ID camp. Within the first tryout, you
should know where your girl is at. They will group them randomly and
then start moving kids around. Your kid needs to be in the top group.

Your dd is late to the game as an 05. Your kid has to beat out any
returning 18 travel team kids. Regional pool or boca kids has a spot.
The whole point is to travel and hopefully, make the regional pool and boca.
Do not let others fool you. Very, very good players still do ODP.
Unless your kid is a stud, use this opportunity as a gauge of where
she is. Can be good or can be very bad, as blow to her confidence.
Good luck.
Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Key words, "getting accepted". Why worry about anything unless your dd
can make the cut and make the 18 for travel? There are 4 tryout dates
for $40. Use this as a gauge of where your dd is compared to other girls.
This is very similar to a college ID camp. Within the first tryout, you
should know where your girl is at. They will group them randomly and
then start moving kids around. Your kid needs to be in the top group.

Your dd is late to the game as an 05. Your kid has to beat out any
returning 18 travel team kids. Regional pool or boca kids has a spot.
The whole point is to travel and hopefully, make the regional pool and boca.
Do not let others fool you. Very, very good players still do ODP.
Unless your kid is a stud, use this opportunity as a gauge of where
she is. Can be good or can be very bad, as blow to her confidence.
Good luck.
Agreed! Good post.