Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Pennsylvania

Notices

Pennsylvania Discussions about Pennsylvania soccer.

Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've been reading this thread and the bashing of ODP on it. NJ has a thread for ODP as well. Read it. Some very good kids still doing it. Not everyone can afford ECNL or GDA. It's another way of improving your skills, getting the attention of college coaches to play for them and meeting kids from other areas.

My kids did it and liked it. They played in college and after. It was a great experience. Not everyone has a great experience in things. As someone else noted, it's not a one size fits all.
My kid liked it also. The tournaments are fun and they get more playing experience which is what itís all about.
Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
My kid liked it also. The tournaments are fun and they get more playing experience which is what itís all about.
Yeah itís a fun program. Itís nothing very serious.
Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Lets be honest. The level of play is not close to being on par with ECNL or GDA.
Old 07-25-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Lets be honest. The level of play is not close to being on par with ECNL or GDA.
Very true. My kids ecnl would have easily beat any of the odp teams they were on.
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Itís good for supplemental training. But yes ecnl and gda is a higher level
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Itís good for supplemental training. But yes ecnl and gda is a higher level
Of course, ECNL and GDA are a higher level. They are teams.

ODP are pick up teams that get together periodically. If the same ODP team practiced as much as the GDA and ECNL teams do, they would be better too.

I've seen some ECNL teams and GDA teams that are not as good as some ODP teams. While it's not what it used to be, ODP, (as GDA kids can't do it and some ECNL top players don't anymore, but do in other regions) but with the price of GDA and ECNL, it is making a comeback. The coaches are dedicated, knowledgeable and are well connected. Don't overlook that tidbit. A good recommendation from one of their coaches could put you ahead of another player on the recruiting depth chart. They know everybody and vice-versa.
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Case in point, read the St. Francis thread on this state site. New hire is/was ODP regional coach that also coached at TopHat in Georgia. If you don't think she is well connected in the soccer world, think again.
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Case in point, read the St. Francis thread on this state site. New hire is/was ODP regional coach that also coached at TopHat in Georgia. If you don't think she is well connected in the soccer world, think again.
How are the coaches for eastern PA odp?
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
In my opinion, most are very good.

Also putting out there, sometimes players don't pan out despite how good the coach is. That is mostly a player that is uncoachable and/or parents that meddle. Or sometimes kids just max out in skill set/soccer iq. That's why the top 10-20% are just that.
Old 07-26-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Agree with the prior post, mostly very good. And they are very well connected too.