Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting tidbits from the Oregon DA invite

Like many of you, we received our Oregon ODP invite, which OYSA only sent out to, well, everyone with a kid in 2003-06 age groups (younger kids, I presume, get RTC invites).

A few interesting tidbits:

1) Westside/Cony is taking over as the 05 head coach. Pete Peterson of ETFC, who coached the 05s last year, is taking over as the 06 coach.

2) BM is out as the 04 coach, no surprise after he allegedly offered Regional spots to kids at another club to induce them to switch to UPDX. George Fox head coach Biniam Afenegus is taking over the 04s. Tracy Hasson, formerly of the Timbers and currently doing private training, is going to be the 03 coach.

3) Girls' coaches are Ralph Halewyn (03, FC Portland), Walter Arevalo (05, PCC), and Angelo Sabblah (06, PCU); the 04 coach has not yet been named.

4) And finally, a section on potential conflicts with the DA, includes the following language:

As a reminder to players who participated with a USDA Club team – with US Soccer eliminating the DA at U12-14, there are no restrictions for ODP tryouts any longer. You are eligible to try out for ODP. If you are part of the Timbers Academy or Thorns Academy, US Soccer states you should not participate in any outside competition which would include high school, RTC, ODP, ECNL, etc. If you have questions about this, let me know.
    US Soccer has announced that they are eliminating U12 DA, and rumors are that U13 will go away after next year; but this is the first I've heard about eliminating U14. Obviously, the younger age groups have gone away in the Pacific Northwest, and with only the MLS franchises and Crossfire operating DA teams (and the Thorns and Reign with the only two GDA programs), but I haven't heard about anything nationwide. Did ODP let a cat out of a bag, or are they confusing the local situation with a nationwide decision?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Like many of you, we received our Oregon ODP invite, which OYSA only sent out to, well, everyone with a kid in 2003-06 age groups (younger kids, I presume, get RTC invites).

1) Westside/Cony is taking over as the 05 head coach. Pete Peterson of ETFC, who coached the 05s last year, is taking over as the 06 coach.

2) BM is out as the 04 coach, no surprise after he allegedly offered Regional spots to kids at another club to induce them to switch to UPDX. George Fox head coach Biniam Afenegus is taking over the 04s. Tracy Hasson, formerly of the Timbers and currently doing private training, is going to be the 03 coach.

3) Girls' coaches are Ralph Halewyn (03, FC Portland), Walter Arevalo (05, PCC), and Angelo Sabblah (06, PCU); the 04 coach has not yet been named.

4) And finally, a section on potential conflicts with the DA, includes the following language:

US Soccer has announced that they are eliminating U12 DA, and rumors are that U13 will go away after next year; but this is the first I've heard about eliminating U14. Obviously, the younger age groups have gone away in the Pacific Northwest, and with only the MLS franchises and Crossfire operating DA teams (and the Thorns and Reign with the only two GDA programs), but I haven't heard about anything nationwide. Did ODP let a cat out of a bag, or are they confusing the local situation with a nationwide decision?
    This is confusing language, Nationally u13 and u14 USSDA is still going and growing (they’ve announced added teams for 19-20 season) and will continue. This is only in regards to our little DA in Oregon. Confusing yes, conspiracy, no.

Timbers and Thorns will be competing in USSDA still which is why they were excluded.

Comment

We were at Linfield last week for odp regional camp. My dd didn't
      remember too many oregon girls there. Are they not allowed to
      participate?

Comment

How many try out, how many are selected?

Comment

participate?
          DA players do not do ODP. They have US Soccer scouts at games . The DA is a direct route to the national team.

Comment

participate?
            Not many people do odp anymore. Kind of a waste of time.

If you need more touches it’s not bad.

Comment

Didn’t get this as my kids have thankfully aged out of the RTC/ODP spam fest. Interesting that they would put the no high school mandate in writing. It’ll be more interesting to see if they follow through on that this year.

Comment

DA (and I suppose ECNL, though I'm not aware of any rule saying ECNL kids cannot also do ODP) have lessened its luster, as a lot of the top kids are playing elsewhere. And some coaches worry about "ODP coach will poach my talent" and don't encourage it for their players.

But for those kids who don't have a DA or ECNL program nearby (or who cannot afford the travel involved, especially with ECNL), ODP is useful; and the idea that we should get rid of the program (or that it is irrelevant) because some kids may be better suited by other platforms, is wrong-headed. To the extent that it is possible, US Soccer and its affiliates should cast a wide net and make plenty of opportunities available.

Comment

You can always just play wall ball in your garage.

Comment

This program is not what it once was. Agree with the comment about ECNL and DA, those players are not participating in ODP anymore.
                    As for the current state of the program it is poorly managed. There are many examples of this, last season 2018/19 players were told that practices were mandatory in order to participate in the Friendship Cup. Attendance was never recorded.When the Friendship Cup rosters were published for one of the girls age groups, the roster contained names of players who did not attend one winter/spring practice sessions and had dropped the ODP program. The number was significant, aprox 1/3 of the players listed on the rosters were no longer with the ODP program. It's odd how the Coaches as well as the Thorns organization were not aware of this situation. But then again, attendance at practices was not taken. It was known by the parents, who had dropped the program, why not the org and coaches? In addition, player reviews and assessments were never completed.
                    Very sad that this program has fallen apart and it is definitely not worth the time and monetary investment at this point, stay away. Perhaps in the future, the program will correct course.

Comment

You can always just play wall ball in your garage.
                      Don't spill that secret...that you can train yourself. You'll end up getting knee capped by a bunch of guys in stripped joggers Adidas Samba Classics driving Honda Accords.

Some truth to that, I the greatest American soccer player of all time attributed his success to kicking the ball into the curb and playing (soccer) video games.

Comment

DA players do not do ODP. They have US Soccer scouts at games . The DA is a direct route to the national team.
                        Oh God. Direct route. That made me spit my beer.

Comment

Ah man my kids didn’t get theirs. I’m destroyed.

Comment

BM left the program, he wasn’t fired.

U13 and U14 DA only went away because the Seattle clubs left. And Oregon isn’t strong enough to have their own program. The Oregon clubs and coaches are good enough to play in a real national league. They will join BECNL like the Washington teams.

Comment

BM left the program, he wasn’t fired.

U13 and U14 DA only went away because the Seattle clubs left. And Oregon isn’t strong enough to have their own program. The Oregon clubs and coaches are good enough to play in a real national league. They will join BECNL like the Washington teams.
                              BM was fired for recruiting players by using his position on Region IV

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X