Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool Club coming to RI

This is terrible news and will continue to water down the state. Don’t know if they are good or not but it seems like a money grab. There is not enough talent in the area to support more ‘elite’ teams

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This is terrible news and will continue to water down the state. Don’t know if they are good or not but it seems like a money grab. There is not enough talent in the area to support more ‘elite’ teams
      Plenty of talent in the state. How do you know it’s a “money grab” if you admit you don’t know anything about them?

You honestly sound like a dbag with your “elite team” comment. Had plenty of good players at tryouts and not everyone wants to play for Bayside or NEFC...

Comment

If Liverpool is a money grab then so is Bruno, Bayside, etc. One club can't be a money grab. If one club is a money grab, well then they all are. Parents need choices.

Comment

Liverpool New Club in RI

Elite offends you? Do you need a safe space?

All the elite clubs (sorry if that offends you, but not every child should or can play elite. It stops being elite) are trying to make a $. However, saturating the market with ‘elite’ clubs is bad for the state. Not enough quality to support. Waters down practices and games.

Or, let’s keep bringing these clubs in and pay 3x the cost of town for essentially town level teams...

Comment

Originally posted by RIisnotMA View Post
            Elite offends you? Do you need a safe space?

All the elite clubs (sorry if that offends you, but not every child should or can play elite. It stops being elite) are trying to make a $. However, saturating the market with ‘elite’ clubs is bad for the state. Not enough quality to support. Waters down practices and games.

Or, let’s keep bringing these clubs in and pay 3x the cost of town for essentially town level teams...
            How do you think players get better? Take the stronger town players and put them on the same team together with good coaching and good competition. Your fixation on “elite” is ridiculous. Please stay with whatever club you’re currently with... we don’t want you on our sidelines or coaching our kids.

Comment

How do you think players get better? Take the stronger town players and put them on the same team together with good coaching and good competition. Your fixation on “elite” is ridiculous. Please stay with whatever club you’re currently with... we don’t want you on our sidelines or coaching our kids.
              I think you guys are talking past one another. I could be wrong, but I believe "elite" is just being used as shorthand for "premier" clubs. Now, you could also have a beef about the word "premier," but what else do you call them? They're basically what you're suggesting: they take all the best town players and put them on a handful of teams, give them better coaching, better competition (and often better field conditions), and bang, you end up with a team playing at a much higher level than a typical town team. You know, a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities. I.e., "elite."

Comment

Liverpool New Club in RI

Thank you to the last post. Premier is the word I am looking for and I hope that is not offensive to the Liverpool coach or anyone else on the message board.

Please substitute Premier in for Elite in all my comments. I stand by all the other statements. If anyone needs me to find them a safe space based on these beliefs I will immediately do so....?

Comment

Originally posted by RIisnotMA View Post
                  Thank you to the last post. Premier is the word I am looking for and I hope that is not offensive to the Liverpool coach or anyone else on the message board.

Please substitute Premier in for Elite in all my comments. I stand by all the other statements. If anyone needs me to find them a safe space based on these beliefs I will immediately do so....?
                  What is up with this angry poster?
                  Moving on... back to helpful conversation about Liverpool. Glad they are in RI!!! Such good families we have met so far. Coaches we have met have been great! I’m sure year one will be shaky at first with wins since they are still building but full confidence in what we have experienced already over the summer. Glad my kid is developing on their premiere/elite whatever you want to call it team with Liverpool. Negative trolls should go somewhere else. If you have experience or new info to share on Liverpool Southwest this is your safe space haha...that person kills me.

Comment

Well, Liverpool IA (like many other premier clubs) does call their teams "Elite," so... ;)

The real question remains, Are there really enough "stronger" town players in the state to fill more than a couple teams per age group at the premier level? Superliga has trouble supporting Anchor divisions in all age groups. Unless you have near 100% participation from top town players, there have got to be some non-top players on those teams. If that's okay with the parents, and the coaching makes it worth it, then great, However, it might not be the situation you were envisioning, with the best teammates and the best competition.

The "angry" poster does make some good points, but undermines himself with the random vitriol and bizarre comments about "safe spaces."

Comment

Well, Liverpool IA (like many other premier clubs) does call their teams "Elite," so... ;)

The real question remains, Are there really enough "stronger" town players in the state to fill more than a couple teams per age group at the premier level? Superliga has trouble supporting Anchor divisions in all age groups. Unless you have near 100% participation from top town players, there have got to be some non-top players on those teams. If that's okay with the parents, and the coaching makes it worth it, then great, However, it might not be the situation you were envisioning, with the best teammates and the best competition.

The "angry" poster does make some good points, but undermines himself with the random vitriol and bizarre comments about "safe spaces."
                      My kid's town team has played some teams up in the Rhode Island hinterlands where Liverpool is probably drawing kids from, and they had some good players. I'm not sure if they have enough of those good players to fill an entire club in a bunch of age groups, but if Liverpool fills a need, then good for the club and good for the kids being served.

Don't get me started about the Anchor division. There are too many coaches/parents who want to do everything they can to win every single game, plus have the easiest possible path to a state championship, so they lobby to get their team placed down in a lower division than they should really be in, and then you end up with 3-4 teams who just stomp all over everyone. Anchor has potential as a place for kids, who for one reason or another don't go to club soccer, to elevate their game. Unfortunately, that potential will never be realized because the system is gamed so much that some top level talent is probably not being fully developed because they never see any real competition.

Comment

My kid's town team has played some teams up in the Rhode Island hinterlands where Liverpool is probably drawing kids from, and they had some good players. I'm not sure if they have enough of those good players to fill an entire club in a bunch of age groups, but if Liverpool fills a need, then good for the club and good for the kids being served.

Don't get me started about the Anchor division. There are too many coaches/parents who want to do everything they can to win every single game, plus have the easiest possible path to a state championship, so they lobby to get their team placed down in a lower division than they should really be in, and then you end up with 3-4 teams who just stomp all over everyone. Anchor has potential as a place for kids, who for one reason or another don't go to club soccer, to elevate their game. Unfortunately, that potential will never be realized because the system is gamed so much that some top level talent is probably not being fully developed because they never see any real competition.
                        This could probably be another whole thread, but why do you think families are choosing club anyway. Some families do club and town but others are dropping the towns. It’s because of several reasons such as lack of seriousness from players on “competitive town teams”. Lack of coaching on those teams. Constant rained out practices and poor field conditions. Lack of competition. Families are looking for opportunities for their players to get better training, coaching, competition, and fields. Liverpool is offering a club that meets those families needs in Newport, Tiverton, Westport, Portsmouth, Fall River, Bristol, Warren, Barrington in adddition to MA locations Bridgewater and Plymouth. There wasn’t anything around those areas of a higher level of training until now. Those towns, those families wanted more than town soccer they wanted year round quality training and good for them for getting something closer to home.

Comment

Do you mean that the kids who should be in Anchor but are playing a division down aren't getting the value from their league competition that they should be getting?

Comment

This could probably be another whole thread, but why do you think families are choosing club anyway. Some families do club and town but others are dropping the towns. It’s because of several reasons such as lack of seriousness from players on “competitive town teams”. Lack of coaching on those teams. Constant rained out practices and poor field conditions. Lack of competition. Families are looking for opportunities for their players to get better training, coaching, competition, and fields. Liverpool is offering a club that meets those families needs in Newport, Tiverton, Westport, Portsmouth, Fall River, Bristol, Warren, Barrington in adddition to MA locations Bridgewater and Plymouth. There wasn’t anything around those areas of a higher level of training until now. Those towns, those families wanted more than town soccer they wanted year round quality training and good for them for getting something closer to home.
                            These are all potentially good reasons. Can Liverpool (or any other club) truly deliver on all those counts? Or are we all just crazy hoping our kids can benefit that much beyond what they are receiving in town rec or travel soccer?

Comment

These are all potentially good reasons. Can Liverpool (or any other club) truly deliver on all those counts? Or are we all just crazy hoping our kids can benefit that much beyond what they are receiving in town rec or travel soccer?
                              Keep us aprised of how things proceed during the season. Sometimes it is a struggle to field single year teams with quality players in these regions. This can quickly lead to high frustration for top 3rd players.....if everyone makes the team. Also multi year teams will quickly disband from one year to the next. Good luck.

Comment

Do you mean that the kids who should be in Anchor but are playing a division down aren't getting the value from their league competition that they should be getting?
                                I guess it all depends on your definition of "value." If you want the kids to develop to achieve their full potential, then going out and dominating every team you play doesn't do a whole lot to achieve that. But I'm assuming it's a hell of an ego boost (for the kids, too).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X