Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Soccer is Essential for Girls

Great article by USA Soccer icon and ESPN soccer analyst Julie Foudy - now let’s hear from the club soccer kool aid drinking club cult on how bad it is - because Julie Foudy has no credibility right?

https://www.soccertoday.com/legendary-julie-foudy-on-why-girls-should-play-high-school-soccer/

You are correct my friend, do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment

Yes. When Foudy was presented with the same opportunity and same decision to make, she choo-

Oh, wait, that’s right. There was no decision or alternative 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Yes. When Foudy was presented with the same opportunity and same decision to make, she choo-

Oh, wait, that’s right. There was no decision or alternative 30 years ago.
        And there’s is our fist DA parent!!! That’s right the NH DA parent knows more about the game than Julie Foudy- who has made a career out of soccer... just saying...

Comment

Everybody should play ODP and HS. Forget about the Academy and the level of play and the level of coaching.

All our top players should represent NH at ODP level!

Comment

Everybody should play ODP and HS. Forget about the Academy and the level of play and the level of coaching.

All our top players should represent NH at ODP level!
            Boy, that high level of coaching sure pays off for the boys DA huh? I forgot how good the DA programs are at cranking out top level talent for the USMNT. I mean SUSC boys DA has been aces these last 11 years! 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Da Selfie King View Post
              And there’s is our fist DA parent!!! That’s right the NH DA parent knows more about the game than Julie Foudy- who has made a career out of soccer... just saying...
              Just saying...life changes in 30 years.

Using an example of anything from 30 years ago for today, in anything, is a useless exercise. Julie Foudy has no idea what she would’ve done anymore than I would have.

But more importantly...why do you care? Do what you want. I’ll do the same. Just stop peering through my hedges and wondering what’s going on...

Maybe it’s time for some parents to stop trying to recreate their old HS glory days and let their kids choose their own paths.

Comment

Just saying...life changes in 30 years.

Using an example of anything from 30 years ago for today, in anything, is a useless exercise. Julie Foudy has no idea what she would’ve done anymore than I would have.

But more importantly...why do you care? Do what you want. I’ll do the same. Just stop peering through my hedges and wondering what’s going on...

Maybe it’s time for some parents to stop trying to recreate their old HS glory days and let their kids choose their own paths.
                Nobody is peering through your hedges...looks like you are a little insecure; not to mention narcissistic because you take a public post in general and internalized it about yourself.

Let’s get back on point: this has almost nothing to do with what happened 30 years ago and has everything to do with the direction of soccer for 12-18 year olds in America. You can’t replicate a European system of sports in America because the structure and nature of sports here is totally different than Europe.

Almost all sports in Europe are club only structured by professional clubs first and it trickles down to 6 year olds. So in baseball for example - The Red Sox would have a system where they would be running t-ball, Little League, Babe Ruth, Legion Ball, and their minor leagues: all under the control and finances of the Red Sox. That’s what happens with FC Barcelona, Man City, FC Milan, etc... they operate all levels of youth soccer.

European schools for HS aged kids do not have sports and their only option is to participate in club sports. This is a fundamental difference and the desire for female athletes to keep playing with friends they have played with forever is very real.

My daughter was invited and asked to tryout for DA this year and she said no because as she puts it - nobody cares or follows your team other than the parents. The school team - kids talk to you in the halls about it, they come to games... the crowd at playoffs is awesome. That never happens in club. So she will play HS and club (GPS next year) and enjoy all of it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2516016]Boy, that high level of coaching sure pays off for the boys DA huh? I forgot how good the DA programs are at cranking out top level talent for the USMNT. I mean SUSC boys DA has been aces these last 11 years

It’s a higher level then any HS in the state. FACT.

It’s a higher level then snub ODP team in the state. FACT.

Comment

What Would Julie Do?

Oh boy...here we go again. Looks like some coach or parent is worried for next year...

So, how would Julie and her parents handle this transaction should it have occurred today:

Coach: Hey what's up, been a while, how are you? Still playing?
                    "DADad": Yeah, a little. Turning into a spectator more than on the pitch, but I'll always be rostered and do get in a game here and there.
                    Coach: Same club?
                    "DADad": Is there any other? I signed a lifetime contract, can't go anywhere else.
                    Coach: (Laughs) Tell the boys I said "hi". I miss playing with them.
                    "DADad": Will do
                    Coach: So I heard your kid's coming along?
                    "DADad": Yeah, slowly but looks like she may end being ok.
                    "DADad": Yeah I talked XYZ on the state of the state and he mentioned a few names. I heard her name and wondered if that was her. Good for her. Where's she at now?
                    "DADad": Seacoast
                    Coach: How's that going?
                    "DADad": Meh, OK. I mean, we got into this stupid-ass DA thing more out of necessity than anything else. Can't say I am overly fond of some of it, but I can't really deny how the year has gone.
                    Coach: What's the beef with it?
                    "DADad": Just the travel, mostly. I don't mind the showcases and stuff as we use them as vacations, but the Friday afternoon to Long Island sucks.
                    Coach: I get it. Seems redundant to having two leagues doing the same thing. We do laugh about it a little
                    "DADad": I also don't like how it was kinda' forced on us; like I don't mind making a decision, but let me make the decision. Oh well
                    "DADad": I'd be happy with either league, each has their benefits. It's a hard concept for me since you know I played in HS and it was all good.
                    Coach: It is different now, though.
                    "DADad": Still the same game
                    Coach: Taught by the same coaches in many HS
                    "DADad": That's not a good thing
                    Coach: That's the point.
                    "DADad": Yeah, I know. Fvckin' ABC coach is still there! Cryst...he was old when I was there!
                    Coach: (Laughs)
                    "DADad": What's the impression on your side?
                    Coach: Well, from my perspective, she needs to get herself into the best training she can. I've seen the GDA program and I have to tell you, it's really good. I haven't got to NH in a while, but what I've seen in others it is impressive
                    "DADad": Hmmm
                    Coach: But, that's only one factor
                    "DADad": What do you mean?
                    Coach: HS can be important for a lot of kids. We want to look at the player, but also the teammate. I can't deal with anymore headaches.
                    "DADad": Makes sense
                    Coach: Also, I've seen kids with no social skills at all since they are so sheltered
                    "DADad": Ha, well, I don't think that will be a problem. She's heavily involved with the school
                    Coach: Good. Any other activity will look good on an application
                    "DADad": We figure we are going to take it year-by-year. She's just getting into HS now
                    Coach: I have to tell you, it sounds like the path your are on is the right one. Is IS still at Seacoast?
                    "DADad": Yeah, she had him last year. I cannot say enough good things about him. Unbelievable coach. She's made huge progress
                    Coach: Yeah, really good coach
                    "DADad": So, I figure we'll take it year to year and see how it plays out. I figure if she can't cut it...tell me know so I can save some cash
                    Coach: I can't tell you what to do. But, I will say if all things being equal, the path you are on is what I would do. Now, all things aren't equal, so opinions vary. But, we all have the same feeling, get on a DA or an ECNL team if you can. It's the best competition and the best chance to be seen.
                    "DADad": Thanks for the detail. Hard to cut through the bullshlt sometimes.
                    Coach: give me your e-mail and I'll send some camp info to her if she's interested. That's all I can really do at this point due to recruiting, but this is just a conversation between ex-teammates. Who knows, maybe my program is something to consider down the road.
                    "DADad": Sadly, I kicked the can down the road for a while and now it's coming time to think about it more seriously
                    Coach: Good luck
                    "DADad": Nice seeing you.

(Actual recreated conversation with a college women's soccer coach, of which is likely under 50% accurate. The meat of the story is 100% accurate, but the rest is artistic license).

So, tell me...what would Julie do?

Comment

My daughter was invited and asked to tryout for DA this year and she said no because as she puts it - nobody cares or follows your team other than the parents. The school team - kids talk to you in the halls about it, they come to games... the crowd at playoffs is awesome. That never happens in club. So she will play HS and club (GPS next year) and enjoy all of it.
                      Sounds like your daughter is insecure and needs that validation from her classmates. Yes, I agree, she should play HS soccer. This is the correct path for her.

Comment

Kids have always been able to chose. Prior to GDA some chose not to play HS and train on their own. I know a few clubs in Ma tried to fun fall programs but didn't have enough participants. USSF will never budge on the HS restriction. That's all well and good for the nation's top 100 players per age group and maybe the MLS clubs. But for the vast majority of players make it optional. Plenty of boys would like to play as well. However, that would mean restructuring DA, which also won't happen unless absolutely necessary. USSF is too fond of the control and $

Comment

Sounds like your daughter is insecure and needs that validation from her classmates. Yes, I agree, she should play HS soccer. This is the correct path for her.
                          Douche alert. You missed the point entirely - those things matter to kids. They're kids. Let them be kids. At most they'll slog out a few years of college ball then hang up their cleats. Let MLS teams and national players train 11 months a year and let the rest decide what they want to do.

Comment

Douche alert. You missed the point entirely - those things matter to kids. They're kids. Let them be kids. At most they'll slog out a few years of college ball then hang up their cleats. Let MLS teams and national players train 11 months a year and let the rest decide what they want to do.
                            What if...my kid doesn't want it? What if my kid doesn't need that? What if she likes her club friends from all over as much as her HS friends? Why do you think you speak for everyone?

Different kids need different things. To make definitive statements with absolutes is off-base.

Bottomline, if your kid needs to be recognized by their peers and soccer is the path to do it, I strongly encourage it. Doesn't mean everyone does, though.

Comment

Boy, that high level of coaching sure pays off for the boys DA huh? I forgot how good the DA programs are at cranking out top level talent for the USMNT. I mean SUSC boys DA has been aces these last 11 years! 🤣🤣🤣
                              Julie Foudy is a woman.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X