Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We all know the Friendship Cup is the ULTIMATE LEVEL OF COMPETITION!!!!!
    Even the bronze division of the Chinook Cup is better than a tournament that is cancelled.

Comment

We all know the Friendship Cup is the ULTIMATE LEVEL OF COMPETITION!!!!!
      No travel cost and don't have to miss school.

I prefer that over paying $1000 and spend 8 hours flying to play 2 games.

There were more college scouts in NJ so it all depends what you are looking to do.

Comment

No travel cost and don't have to miss school.

I prefer that over paying $1000 and spend 8 hours flying to play 2 games.

There were more college scouts in NJ so it all depends what you are looking to do.
        It was closer to 10hrs flying, 8 hrs of driving and 4 hours at airport lobby & tarmac. We had very few coaches paying attention to our teams, even though we had written schools that had no interest in us and honestly we had little interest in them. We got a much needed day off Saturday, which we spent on the phone; texting, instagram ing and snap chatting. It's what a teenage girls really needs. Let's speak the truth for once.

Comment

It was closer to 10hrs flying, 8 hrs of driving and 4 hours at airport lobby & tarmac. We had very few coaches paying attention to our teams, even though we had written schools that had no interest in us and honestly we had little interest in them. We got a much needed day off Saturday, which we spent on the phone; texting, instagram ing and snap chatting. It's what a teenage girls really needs. Let's speak the truth for once.
          WTH, my DD went to NC and played 61 minutes in 3 games. And she wasn't the low minutes champion. The coaches have destroyed GDA thats why the U15s have to bring up several U14s after the debacle. Aint a party. I'm trying to support it but....

Comment

WTH, my DD went to NC and played 61 minutes in 3 games. And she wasn't the low minutes champion. The coaches have destroyed GDA thats why the U15s have to bring up several U14s after the debacle. Aint a party. I'm trying to support it but....
            So you post all this and she’s still playing for thorns? Sounds like you are part of the problem by enabling them.

Comment

So you post all this and she’s still playing for thorns? Sounds like you are part of the problem by enabling them.
              Theres a certain level of 'locked in' that comes with the territory. And they know if she tries out for another team and doesn't make it...lots of pressure. There is still some hope with all the openings that occurred at the last transition, just frustrating and I'm not alone.

Lots of non-rostered players now due to injuries and complacency. Something has to give as well on the high school front. If you're averaging less than 40 minutes a game, high school at least offers a little more reward. Kids like to play! That applies to both club, ECNL and DA. ECNL and OYSA by most accounts offers more playing time to non-starters than the GDA without compromising internal competition.

Comment

National events need to go away. Marry up regional teams and regional schools (obviously other schools are welcome to attend if they want). No more flying across the country for games. Have regional playoffs and the winner of that play in one national event at the end of the year. Most kids will go to school within a half day's drive from home.

Comment

National events need to go away. Marry up regional teams and regional schools (obviously other schools are welcome to attend if they want). No more flying across the country for games. Have regional playoffs and the winner of that play in one national event at the end of the year. Most kids will go to school within a half day's drive from home.
                  Makes sense. Going to New Jersey, Hawaii, Texas or North Carolina is not worth it. The Western region of the US has enough teams and competition to support everything leading to nationals.

Comment

Big difference..my parents footed the bill for NJ.

Thorns covered all travel costs in your case, and its not your dime.

In college school pays all the travel cost and many girls never get off the bench.

Local clubs have to answer to parents due to the insane optional travel cost like last weekend's fiasco in NJ.

Comment

Parents can control the situation by saying no. These events are all known before you sign a contract. Don't like it? Don't participate. Clubs and leagues won't change unless they start losing customers. As long as parents write checks they will operate business as usual. Stop blaming the club. Tell them what you want and if you still don't like it it, leave. You're the customer. Seek what you want elsewhere.
                      Agree with you. This rest of this conversation is a joke.

There are weather clauses in all tounament entry contracts . No one can predict ahead of time what the weather will be. It's happened to us in Texas, Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Minneapolis, here in Oregon, the list goes on. My son 's team got in 2 games and daughter's team had 1 game, before major flooding in San Bernadino County. The fields were fine for Oregon's teams, the wider-bladed grass tough but playable. Not so for Cali teams who complained. At Surf, the parking lot and some of the fields became the problems. In the end it's the other hazards that delay or cancel tourneys. Roads flooded out, lightning, and so on. Yes. There is boredom in the rooms. Our kids even player shopping cart soccer in the parking lot of a mall next to our hotel. Some will make arrangements to leave early. Sometimes, after some effort, a tournament will give a partial refund to the manager or club.

At least recruiters went through the same things as the teams, and many still had notes they were able to make in evaluating some players.

Comment

Agree with you. This rest of this conversation is a joke.

There are weather clauses in all tounament entry contracts . No one can predict ahead of time what the weather will be. It's happened to us in Texas, Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Minneapolis, here in Oregon, the list goes on. My son 's team got in 2 games and daughter's team had 1 game, before major flooding in San Bernadino County. The fields were fine for Oregon's teams, the wider-bladed grass tough but playable. Not so for Cali teams who complained. At Surf, the parking lot and some of the fields became the problems. In the end it's the other hazards that delay or cancel tourneys. Roads flooded out, lightning, and so on. Yes. There is boredom in the rooms. Our kids even player shopping cart soccer in the parking lot of a mall next to our hotel. Some will make arrangements to leave early. Sometimes, after some effort, a tournament will give a partial refund to the manager or club.

At least recruiters went through the same things as the teams, and many still had notes they were able to make in evaluating some players.
                        This game cancellation due to weather on the east coast only illustrates the stupidity of 2 local neighborhood clubs signing up for a league they don't belong in and parents should not be spending thousands of dollars on. That's my take after all the backpedaling and deflection are offered up, it was a 'perfect storm' on so many levels.

Comment

This game cancellation due to weather on the east coast only illustrates the stupidity of 2 local neighborhood clubs signing up for a league they don't belong in and parents should not be spending thousands of dollars on. That's my take after all the backpedaling and deflection are offered up, it was a 'perfect storm' on so many levels.
                          Do you feel the same about the Oregon thorns and ODP players who dealt with the same weather issues in Arizona a few years back? One “game” they played was just a PK shootout - to determine who advanced in the ODP finals. Are you okay with that?

Comment

Obviously you know very little about chances taken when traveling for games, no matter the entity of your playe's choice. Don't like, try an indoor sport.

No need to be so judgemental in what players and their teams do. Just opt out.

Comment

Big difference..my parents footed the bill for NJ.

Thorns covered all travel costs in your case, and its not your dime.

In college school pays all the travel cost and many girls never get off the bench.

Local clubs have to answer to parents due to the insane optional travel cost like last weekend's fiasco in NJ.
                              Its the 61 minutes, I traveled to watch (My husband or I or both go to most games) so it wasn't about the $. It was very random - some players non-rostered for no good reason because they were playing right away the next week against San Jose teams. Then last week they randomly put players up on the U15 from the mixed age lower U14 conglomeration.

Then last week DD plays 80 minutes with no explanation after traveling and playing for less than 20 minutes against SLC. Coaches are confused/unaware of what the hell is going on!

Comment

But hey,

At least you got to spend some money to be called elite then talk some trash about friendship cup.

If someone didn't spill the beans everyone would be thinking you are playing the crappy teams you flew over there to play..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X