Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agree. I have 1 kid that has solid career path and will be able to recover from the massive debt but the other really doesn't know what they want to do. Decent merit and athletic scholarship doesn't cover the $60k a year bill. Very sad.
    Told my kids they better find something practical to major in so they can get a good job after college. Not everyone can make a good living studying Exercise Science and becoming a soccer coach or trainer after.

Comment

Told my kids they better find something practical to major in so they can get a good job after college. Not everyone can make a good living studying Exercise Science and becoming a soccer coach or trainer after.

I agree with this.
      However, an alternative pre-college strategy is to apply for dual citizenship: legal and illegal
      This would get you the best of both worlds.
      This might be more beneficial in California where free **** is falling from the sky even though they can't afford it.

However, if that isn't the plan then I would suggest any pre-professional plan, engineering, or computers. Economics might be great but only if you are going to add to it computers, or math.
      An increasing number of schools are partnering with other schools to offer dual degrees in 5-6 years. The one that comes to mind is the NESCAC schools partnering with Ivy or UAA schools to offer engineering degrees.

Finally, you can rest easier if your parents own a business.......

Comment

Then why dump a ton of money into club soccer? Seriously, if this is how you felt going in why did you even bother with any sports? If you had so much foresight why didn’t you just spend all that money on tutors and academically focused camps?

Comment

Then why dump a ton of money into club soccer? Seriously, if this is how you felt going in why did you even bother with any sports? If you had so much foresight why didn’t you just spend all that money on tutors and academically focused camps?
          You made a big leap here, BTNT. Why do you continue to obsess about how others live their lives???

Comment

Wow. Only took him 4 pages before he chimed in.

Comment

Didn’t dump a ton of money into club soccer. Did dump some and also some into other activities she enjoys, including several other sports, music and debate club. My dd didn’t need tutors and is graduating in the top of her class. Despite not concentrating on soccer, nor spending a ton of money on it, she is good enough that D1(in the #50 and below range) to D3 programs are recruiting her for two of her 3 sports. Of the 2 sports, she loves soccer more. While academics comes first, she is a natural athlete and our family believes that it’s important to develop the mind and the body. However, sports for us are sports. Soccer is a game. A beautiful game but a game and, for her anyway, we hope it is a fun endeavor that she can participate in all her life. Yes, she could have been an even more accomplished student had she spent no time on soccer or other outside activities. Yes, she could have been a better soccer player had she concentrated only on soccer. However, she enjoys being a well rounded person and enjoying many recreational pursuits. While she lives playing soccer and will likely play rec soccer even after college, she wants a meaningful academic career and hopes to help the world. No, she’s not at the unicorn level that can play on the USWNT and study to become a doctor or whatever but she has found a balance that works for her and her goals. Other kids may enjoy putting all of their time and effort into only soccer or only academics but she isn’t one of those kids. To each their own.

We also don’t have unlimited funds and college has become insanely expensive. Yes, we have told her she needs to find a practical degree (that she likes) so that she can get a good job after college. This in no way means we don’t also support her current favorite extracurricular activity of soccer. If she goes to a good school and studies something practical, she’ll have the means to continue to play rec soccer after college too. Many of her friends come from wealthy families and they can choose whatever they want or nothing at all and will still be fine. We aren’t poor but we certainly aren’t rich and need to plan accordingly.

Comment

Didn’t dump a ton of money into club soccer. Did dump some and also some into other activities she enjoys, including several other sports, music and debate club. My dd didn’t need tutors and is graduating in the top of her class. Despite not concentrating on soccer, nor spending a ton of money on it, she is good enough that D1(in the #50 and below range) to D3 programs are recruiting her for two of her 3 sports. Of the 2 sports, she loves soccer more. While academics comes first, she is a natural athlete and our family believes that it’s important to develop the mind and the body. However, sports for us are sports. Soccer is a game. A beautiful game but a game and, for her anyway, we hope it is a fun endeavor that she can participate in all her life. Yes, she could have been an even more accomplished student had she spent no time on soccer or other outside activities. Yes, she could have been a better soccer player had she concentrated only on soccer. However, she enjoys being a well rounded person and enjoying many recreational pursuits. While she loves playing soccer and will likely play rec soccer even after college, she wants a meaningful academic career and hopes to help the world. No, she’s not at the unicorn level that can play on the USWNT and study to become a doctor or whatever but she has found a balance that works for her and her goals. Other kids may enjoy putting all of their time and effort into only soccer or only academics but she isn’t one of those kids. To each their own.

We also don’t have unlimited funds and college has become insanely expensive. Yes, we have told her she needs to find a practical degree (that she likes) so that she can get a good job after college. This in no way means we don’t also support her current favorite extracurricular activity of soccer. If she goes to a good school and studies something practical, she’ll have the means to continue to play rec soccer after college too. Many of her friends come from wealthy families and they can choose whatever they want or nothing at all and will still be fine. We aren’t poor but we certainly aren’t rich and need to plan accordingly.
                Sorry, fixed it. She “loves soccer” not “lives soccer.

Comment

Because I wanted to and it is my money to do what I want.

But to your question, life is about investing both time and money in opportunities that may or may not pan out, hoping that something will come of it. For some, youth sports has both immediate, intermediate, and long term rewards. For others it doesn't. But, you don't find out until later.....after you have invested in it. I would rather invest without knowing the outcome than to, in the end, wonder 'what if'.....

Comment

Because I wanted to and it is my money to do what I want.

But to your question, life is about investing both time and money in opportunities that may or may not pan out, hoping that something will come of it. For some, youth sports has both immediate, intermediate, and long term rewards. For others it doesn't. But, you don't find out until later.....after you have invested in it. I would rather invest without knowing the outcome than to, in the end, wonder 'what if'.....
                    Insufficient answer for our rotund friend. He would much prefer that you realize that you have inadequate genetic material to produce a legitimate soccer player. He wants you to face your "averageness" and that of your rec-level progeny by age 5 or 6 (earlier if you're as smart and perceptive as he is, but you're not). He wants you to get out of the way of his superstar, or better yet, stand by the roadside and applaud him as he and his future orthopedic surgeon waddles by...

Comment

Insufficient answer for our rotund friend. He would much prefer that you realize that you have inadequate genetic material to produce a legitimate soccer player. He wants you to face your "averageness" and that of your rec-level progeny by age 5 or 6 (earlier if you're as smart and perceptive as he is, but you're not). He wants you to get out of the way of his superstar, or better yet, stand by the roadside and applaud him as he and his future orthopedic surgeon waddles by...
                      Ah! I see. Well, I am not someone who wants to look back and wonder ‘what if’. So, as long as I have the ability to do, I will continue to do whatever I want with my money.

Comment

Ah! I see. Well, I am not someone who wants to look back and wonder ‘what if’. So, as long as I have the ability to do, I will continue to do whatever I want with my money.
                        That doesn't fly with a few posters here who seem to think we should all follow their (irrelevant) advice about financial and activity decisions for our kids.

Comment

BTNT made the biggest, single parental error that I've ever heard about on this site for many, many years. Grossly punitive and absolutely indefensible especially given all of the trust funds and celebrity family resources. And he then has the gall to apparently get viscerally upset about what others do...and not just occasionally but daily, hourly.

Tantamount to a parent of a U14 local area A team hockey player spending all day ranting about why the U14 local area C team kids are bothering. Like, I mean, why even spend a single second worrying about what us silly D3 families do???

Comment

BTNT made the biggest, single parental error that I've ever heard about on this site for many, many years. Grossly punitive and absolutely indefensible especially given all of the trust funds and celebrity family resources. And he then has the gall to apparently get viscerally upset about what others do...and not just occasionally but daily, hourly.

Tantamount to a parent of a U14 local area A team hockey player spending all day ranting about why the U14 local area C team kids are bothering. Like, I mean, why even spend a single second worrying about what us silly D3 families do???

Sounds more like BTNT has some regrets about what he could have done but didn't. Perhaps he wished he spent more money, or, more important, more time with his kids. Maybe he is divorced as well. Regardless of how much he is worth, it sounds as though he has been quite cheap and has lost much as a result of it. Good luck to you BTNT.

Comment

Lol. All this because your kids failed you. Pretty sad that you have to vent your frustrations out this way actually.

Comment

Lol. All this because your kids failed you. Pretty sad that you have to vent your frustrations out this way actually.
                                That is the part that you just don't understand. There is no frustrations and there is no failure. There are only efforts and successes which are measured in so many ways that include but not limited to playing soccer in college. Sadly, TS is filled with people who feel that 'if you don't play D1 or pro then why pay for club soccer at all'. This is simply a pathetic statement.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X