Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Last year B03 had the same coach from the previous year and he didn’t even show up for tryouts, and pretty much pick the same travel team from the year before except he added for a few kids from his new club he was at.
    This years B03 pool looks the same as last year ..shocking....then had new coaches this year..I guess the got the list from last year and has a fake tryout

Comment

This years B03 pool looks the same as last year ..shocking....then had new coaches this year..I guess the got the list from last year and has a fake tryout
      There only 31 players listed there suppose to be 40...where are the other 9 ?

Comment

There only 31 players listed there suppose to be 40...where are the other 9 ?
        Who runs this thing is it always this corrupt...

Comment

The head coach is an Ex Sounder player and states he has 20 years coaching experience yet he is only 36 years old... I don't see any coaching licenses in his bio...but the other assistant coach has a E license...

Comment

How much did he try and extort from families for private trainings, car repairs, and medical issues?
            Edit ... how much did families try to bribe him to get into the golden team ? I’m so glad he didn’t pick Little Taylor

Comment

What’s point of trying out for EPD? It’s all about who you know. Especially if your kids coach is on staff.

Comment

epd

We haven't found that to be the case. I have a daughter that tried out from a PSPL team and made it. I have also had her try out from a RCL club with no connection to the coach and made it. I do think it is too heavily run by PAC and that the coaches heavily weight PAC players when it comes to choosing travel teams.

Comment

Link to the current state team pools as they are building out right now:

http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org...te_team_pools/

What's interesting is that they have been taking more and more "elite" kids. I remember a few years ago they took about 30 at the younger years and less at the older years. Now there they are taking 40-50. I think most of the WYS clubs have their first team kids represented at each age group as well. EPD has an A and B team and from the numbers maybe even a C team now. If your kids love to play soccer then it is just another place to play and experience different coaching. In no way can you put together a team and practice once a month and expect to have an elite team that blows everyone away. So much of winning at soccer has to do with a team that knows each other and has played together for a while. Your experience will be hit an miss at EPD depending on a few things.

1) If you make a pool or not. If you don't make it then welcome to conspiracy land about how other kids made it and your kid should of.
                  2) If you make the first team the individual kids may be a mix of athletic or skilled but in general represent decent quality.
                  3) If you make the second team the quality of play can be downright terrible. Similar to a C team in some cases. And you will be back to conspiracy land watching the first team play and thinking your kid is better than one of the first team kids.

Remember just a few years back EPD was a closed program. You could only get on if your WYS coach recommended you. Now it's open tryouts but they take recommended kids from coaches as well. One unnamed EPD coach told me he was frustrated because they didn't pick a kid at callbacks and another coach called from a club and complained and forced the kid onto EPD. Another data point is the handful of kids over the years we know that never made it to any EPD tryout but somehow made EPD. (By somehow I mean their coach made a call)

Also it is a true statement if you play at Pac the standard Pac shenanigans apply and Pac will favor their kids. I have seen multiple B team Pac kids make EPD. And trust me they are not the overlooked kids. Typically they don't make the EPD first teams though so at least that typically works itself out.

Comment

I have two kids who tried out for EPD a few years ago. Both got down to the end of tryoutsand didn't make it. Both have gone on to many, many other soccer accolades through the years that might be considered more prestigious...not sure if it was a question of not knowing the right people, not having a good tryout, not being developed enough at that point, but soccer has gone on just fine without that. I think it's a great opportunity if your family gets the chance but by no means the ultimate marker of talent etc

Comment

I have two kids who tried out for EPD a few years ago. Both got down to the end of tryoutsand didn't make it. Both have gone on to many, many other soccer accolades through the years that might be considered more prestigious...not sure if it was a question of not knowing the right people, not having a good tryout, not being developed enough at that point, but soccer has gone on just fine without that. I think it's a great opportunity if your family gets the chance but by no means the ultimate marker of talent etc
                      They shouldn’t charge for the tryout if its rigged..the 03 Boys list is the same as last year minus a few that are at academy’s now.... someone should call them on this crap

Comment

Comparison

Let's just look at the G04 team which was coached by a Pac Coach last year and a SU coach this year. Yes I don't know who showed up as my DD doesn't play. Very different teams and not sure what that means. I think it plays into the political nod that occurs.

Comment

I could be looking at this wrongly but why would any premier club send their best kids to train with a competitors coach ? That would be a surefire way of losing them once the coach gets their hooks into them . This could be why the teams are massively weighted with one clubs players .

Comment

I could be looking at this wrongly but why would any premier club send their best kids to train with a competitors coach ? That would be a surefire way of losing them once the coach gets their hooks into them . This could be why the teams are massively weighted with one clubs players .
                            In the old days EPD was the way to the Olympic Dev program and one of the only options to be seen for that path. Nowadays EPD has zero purpose other than another option to play soccer once a month and get some different training perspectives. The coaches all track kids across the first teams anyway since they see them play all season and note the standouts. Kids also jump clubs so everyone kind of knows everyone. I don't think sending them to EPD would recruit to many kids from their existing club. The social aspect of EPD can be fun since you are playing with kids that you have competed against. However if you are just worried about money, your dollars are way way way better spent elsewhere.

Comment

They shouldn’t charge for the tryout if its rigged..the 03 Boys list is the same as last year minus a few that are at academy’s now.... someone should call them on this crap
                              Totally agree. Honestly I think all clubs should not charge for tryouts. AT the surface it seems sleazy to charge people to scrutinize your 9 year old on how good they are then ask them to pay a few thousand more once they are deemed worthy. I am sure a DOC could get on here and defend the need to charge for tryouts like field rental for the day, coach time, etc....My argument to that would be tryouts are a small dollar loss leader for your club/business to attract and retain hundreds of kids paying a few thousand per year. You can eat a few bucks at tryouts.

Comment

I think you will find that most charge simply because its always been that way, or from experience as a way to put some 'skin in the game' on behalf of players to give them an extra motivation (psychologically) to show up. It's an old but effective psychological ploy...

But yes, they should be free. But by the same token, coaches and clubs alike shouldn't play psychological games and lie to young kids to manipulate them into forgoing opportunities elsewhere under the guise of losing a spot with them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X