Referee Abuse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officiating at Mt. Hood seems better than at Lake Oswego last weekend.

Comment

Here you go.

Where does it end people?

https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...DSO4zwRx4X37pY

Comment

While I'm not necessarily complaining--has anyone noticed an increase in the number of red cards issued during summer tournament season? I've watched over two dozen matches this past summer, in multiple age groups (all boys), and personally saw four different players get sent off. And none of these matches got out of hand--there were a few that nearly ended in brawls (the 05 gold final of Beaverton Cup was reportedly such a match, though I didn't see it personally).

Again, this is not a complaint--none of the four ejections was an obviously wrong call. One was for a second caution, the other three were straight reds for DGSO/SFP. (None of them was for a malicious or dirty play, or other actions that were outright misconduct instead of poorly-executed tackles). But in past years, similar plays have generally resulted in bookings, not sending-off--so I'm wondering if referees might be being instructed to not be afraid to show the red card more often.

Anyone else noticing this?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          While I'm not necessarily complaining--has anyone noticed an increase in the number of red cards issued during summer tournament season? I've watched over two dozen matches this past summer, in multiple age groups (all boys), and personally saw four different players get sent off. And none of these matches got out of hand--there were a few that nearly ended in brawls (the 05 gold final of Beaverton Cup was reportedly such a match, though I didn't see it personally).

Again, this is not a complaint--none of the four ejections was an obviously wrong call. One was for a second caution, the other three were straight reds for DGSO/SFP. (None of them was for a malicious or dirty play, or other actions that were outright misconduct instead of poorly-executed tackles). But in past years, similar plays have generally resulted in bookings, not sending-off--so I'm wondering if referees might be being instructed to not be afraid to show the red card more often.

So I'm a referee...and a coach, so I'll weigh in.

I think a lot of referees, especially the teenage ones we are seeing are experienced youth players AND this summer in particular the coordinators have taken an active approach in training and empowering them. Referee coordinators are supporting them and I don't think they feel intimidated that a DOC, or Coach, or club member is going to give them a hard time. I think OYSA is taking the right approach too from looking at the discipline handed out for referee abuse this Spring.

I have, and I'm sure many of you have had your player tell you, and show you a scratch they got, etc. These 15-17 years have played in it and know it and for them its easier to spot.

Comment

I am all for it. In essence, lay down the law & make examples, and then I think we will eventually see more caution on the part of the players. Players are smart and will figure out how to play tough while staying well on the other side of the line.

Comment

FWIW in many circles I'm seeing better coaches...and the parents follow their lead.

With cards for coaches I expect to see more expulsions this fall. Before it was a bit hard to manage and know where that lines was. Now it's warning, yellow, red.

Comment

If your player is your oldest and a 05 you are also likely seeing what happens during the HS years - it becomes much physical. Not intentionally so, but players are getting bigger, stronger and faster. Injuries ramp up too. Good that you think refs are making more right calls than not

Comment

Go summarize:
                  1. if a referee blows a call, you can verbally chastise them.
                  2. If blown call leads to a goal, you can scream at him.
                  3. If it’s a bad offsides call, shut up. You are wrong.
                  4. Bad call leads to a PK, you must stay behind the touch line but you can use any projectiles you have on hand.
                  5. If a bad call costs your team a game then you may enter the pitch.
                  6. Lose a championship game due to bad call, you may follow the referees to their cars.
                  7. If multiple bad calls lead to losing a semi at Clash at the Border, you may call them the next day at work and whisper bad things.
                  8. Only in some circumstances can you ramp up from there. Always get at least three other soccer dads to approval before taking it to the next level.
                  The #8 four soccer dads agreeing on an offside call should always overrule the center referee.

In fact, they should issue parents "challenge flags" like they use in the NFL. Disagree with the call: Toss the flag. That stops the game for 3-5 mins and gives the center a chance to confer with the AR. No more than 10 flags per team allowed per game.

Comment

The #8 four soccer dads agreeing on an offside call should always overrule the center referee.

In fact, they should issue parents "challenge flags" like they use in the NFL. Disagree with the call: Toss the flag. That stops the game for 3-5 mins and gives the center a chance to confer with the AR. No more than 10 flags per team allowed per game.
                    AR's are too expensive. They should confer with the parent section.

Comment

AR's are too expensive. They should confer with the parent section.
                      They should have two parents, one from each team, running the sidelines to call offsides and throw-ins.

If they are going to pass judgment on the game, put them to work.

Comment

I think parents should start doing this effective immediately. Throw the flag. If you don't have an actual flag, just use an old pair of white briefs. Trust me, that will stop the game.

Comment

They should have two parents, one from each team, running the sidelines to call offsides and throw-ins.

If they are going to pass judgment on the game, put them to work.
                          A lot of them could use the exercise too

Comment

A lot of them could use the exercise too
                            Wait, I have to get out of my chair?

Comment

Wait, I have to get out of my chair?
                              Don't worry, if you have to exercise at all there will be an all-you-can-eat donut tent set up onsite so you can fuel up after the game and maintain your body shape.

Comment

Don't worry, if you have to exercise at all there will be an all-you-can-eat donut tent set up onsite so you can fuel up after the game and maintain your body shape.
                                An apple fritter a day keeps the doctor away.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X