Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. John’s vs Stony Brook women’s game

I went to the SJ vs SB women’s game on Sunday evening because my daughter was looking at both programs. It was our 1st live game and I was not impressed at all. The quality of play of both teams was very poor and not what I would have expected. Very weak skills on the ball from both teams. I was really surprised at the coaching. I sat directly across from the SJ coach and he was screaming and yelling like a lunatic from the opening whistle and didn’t stop until the game ended (and his team actually won 5-1). The amount of subs used was pretty shocking as well. It felt a lot more like a U14 rec league game than a women’s D1 college game. Speaking of which, I heard a lot of colorful language from the fans as well including a guy yelling in a foreign language (which I later learned was Hungarian) who really needs to calm down. I mean c’mon dude, it’s your daughter playing not you! All in all, an eye opening experience for us and an easy 2 to cross off the list.

Was there no paint drying in the area?

Comment

Unfortunately, the unlimited substitutions really kills the game. Takes the beauty out of the game.

Comment

Not for nothing but neither is a very good program and now you've seen why. It also shows that some college coaches are slick salesmen when you meet with them but show their true colors on the field. Watching games or practices is always highly recommended to see the style/quality of play and how the coach interacts with players. If you can't attend a game most schools have games you can watch online as well - you won't get much in the way of coach behavior but at least see the level of play

Hungarian guy? Some parents will never get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Unfortunately, the unlimited substitutions really kills the game. Takes the beauty out of the game.
          I'm not sure many women's programs at that level can be called beautiful ;)

Comment

Men’s and woman’s college soccer alike. Coach sends them out there for ten minutes, work rates through the roof but the play is very choppy. Coaches site the short length of the season for requiring the multiple subs.

When 3/4’s of your team has to go 90 it’s impossible to maintain the current work rates. Offensive players don’t get closed on as quickly and have a bit more space and time to create.

Current system empathizes athleticism. Skilled players can’t tire out opposition with possession. Feeds into the current view that American’s are more athletic and Euro’s more skilled.

Lengthen the college season and limit substitutions and the players will benifit.

Comment

I'm not sure many women's programs at that level can be called beautiful ;)
              It is a disease that begins at youth travel level. Winning is more important than style of play. Most colleges (yes even some of the most lauded programs) still play kick and run to the bigger, faster, stronger athlete. This method is preferred to other method which is working the ball up the pitch via intricate playing. Simple reason...win and the coach keeps his/her job. Lose and he/she is out of a job. Just look at the US women's national team. Other countries have caught up to them physically and now are beating them fairly often enough by playing the game better. US women still compete (and still often win) because the pool of athletic talent is so much greater here than in other countries... but that gap is closing fast. And most youth/high school/and college programs are either too afraid and/or dumb to do anything about. Youth programs (and college programs) are first about $$$ to the owners. The kids come second...sometimes not even second. Think it is just soccer? Look at baseball...many, many non-US players. Most of them grew up outside the US, dirt poor and not being able to play expensive travel sports. Look at world tennis as well.

Comment

College soccer is HS soccer on steroids. Coaches need the wins to keep their jobs, so they do what they have to in order to win. That means most times it's ugly soccer. The schedule is brutal, over-training/over-use injuries are rampant. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

You were also watching a non-conference game that doesn't count in the conference standings. Most coaches use these games to get almost every player some playing time so they can assess them. Remember that the coaches only contact with your player is through a few minutes at a tournament and an ID camp or two. When the conference games start, the subs are less, but still plentiful. As others have said, most college soccer programs are High School soccer on steroids, with winning taking priority over style. The only program that I can think of that is technical, tactical and pretty is the Duke program, but they will adjust to a kick and run teams style of play with ease and beat them. The St. Johns coach has been there forever and has been successful and his assistant coach could be a great replacement if he steps aside some day. The SBU coach has only been there 2-3 years and has already had his team win their conference. Take a look at the roster of the teams you think your daughter is interested in and you will realize that most teams have players that grew up 4-6 hours away. That is probably where your player will end up.

Comment

Actually, substitutions ARE limited. Players cannot reenter the match in the first half, and can only reenter once in the second half.

Comment

Actually, substitutions ARE limited. Players cannot reenter the match in the first half, and can only reenter once in the second half.
                      Limited by definition but can still allow 20+ players on a team to get on the game sheet.

If you argue that it gets more players involved, I would counter with limiting subs to 4 or so per game without re-entry would strengthen D2 and D3 as more players search out playing time. Players in D1 would get more minutes which could lead to more developed players turning pro.

Comment

Limited by definition but can still allow 20+ players on a team to get on the game sheet.

If you argue that it gets more players involved, I would counter with limiting subs to 4 or so per game without re-entry would strengthen D2 and D3 as more players search out playing time. Players in D1 would get more minutes which could lead to more developed players turning pro.
                        Top Handfull of players rarely get substituted, unless game out of hand or sometimes they will sub with a few minutes left in half. Like any other team, players 6 through end of roster is where the substitutions happen in college.

Comment

My daughter and I watched a Hofstra game not too long ago and it was the first time we saw a college game in person. We were both very surprised at how sloppy the play was; lack of ball control, kick and run, etc. We left at the half and had definitely seen enough. The school wasn't on her radar; but definitely sealed the deal that it would not be an option for her future.

Comment

My daughter and I watched a Hofstra game not too long ago and it was the first time we saw a college game in person. We were both very surprised at how sloppy the play was; lack of ball control, kick and run, etc. We left at the half and had definitely seen enough. The school wasn't on her radar; but definitely sealed the deal that it would not be an option for her future.
                            Watch top 25 women’s college teams and guess what, same thing. Female game just cannot compete with the male game on any level. You watch pro soccer vs men’s college and men’s college looks awful. It’s all relevant.

BTW Hofstra finished with an RPI of mid 30’s last year and went undefeated in conference.

Comment

Not arguing anything. Just stating a fact that your portrayal of unlimited substitutions is incorrect.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X