Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are so wrong - she has the best reputation in NY Metro as the top trainer and she turned down a GDA DOC role for Surf...Surf by far has the best and highest licensed coaching staff in NY Metro. Kudos to the non-profit for striving to be the best player development club in NY Metro.
    Turned down a GDA DOC role for Surf? WHAT? Obviously came from a Surf parent drinking the spiked cool air.

And my kid had Meghan as a trainer in RR and she is good, but far from great. And what is her coaching license? I'm honestly not sure.

Comment

Turned down a GDA DOC role for Surf? WHAT? Obviously came from a Surf parent drinking the spiked cool air.

And my kid had Meghan as a trainer in RR and she is good, but far from great. And what is her coaching license? I'm honestly not sure.
      Departure from LIRR was not voluntary. Nothing scandalous but not flattering either.

Comment

You are so wrong - she has the best reputation in NY Metro as the top trainer and she turned down a GDA DOC role for Surf...Surf by far has the best and highest licensed coaching staff in NY Metro. Kudos to the non-profit for striving to be the best player development club in NY Metro.

You need a Class A license to be a DA DOC. Does she have that? doubt it.

Comment

So Meghan Frey is the big DOC announcement we have been waiting almost a year for? What a joke. Does she even have USSF C license? Surf will never be anything of significance locally. Now Valencia rolls out an academy across the street from where Nassau Surf trains. That is going to make it even harder.
          Clearly this was not their original plan. They supposedly had a former USNT player lined up at first, but were turned down. They didn't even expect to be on LI last year but things evolved with Atletico (which has now fallen apart). Now it seems like the Stony Brook affiliation is also withering as their tryouts indicate a full spectrum of teams in Nassau but only 2 in Suffolk. I have a hard time seeing them attract the highest caliber of players without a path to something more.

Comment

I thought Ryan was the Girl's DOC. Did she step down?

I thought NY Surf was going to import coaches and not use local retreads.

Anyone check the college recruits if the Surf college coaches to see if NY Surf players got a scholly?

Comment

I thought Ryan was the Girl's DOC. Did she step down?

I thought NY Surf was going to import coaches and not use local retreads.

Anyone check the college recruits if the Surf college coaches to see if NY Surf players got a scholly?
              I thought so as well? Given Surfs lackluster start maybe she left; others may as well. This was the announcement

NEW YORK, NY*April*20, 2017*— New York Surf Soccer Club is pleased to welcome Coach Meghan Frey as the club’s new Girls Director of Coaching, on a full time basis.* For nearly 15 years, Frey was a coach and managing director at Long Island Rough Riders, where she developed a reputation as one of Long Island’s top player development instructors and played an integral role in growing the club.* Before leaving, Frey’s time with the Rough Riders youth program culminated in 2015 when she coached her U-15 team to a Super-Y League National Championship at IMG Academy.

“Meghan has an impeccable reputation as one of Long Island’s top youth soccer coaches and has an amazing parent and player following due to her professionalism and true love for the game.* NY Surf and Meghan share the same passion for player development, and we are confident Meghan will develop our young female players and coaches to achieve their maximum potential,” said Matt Popoli, President of New York Surf.

Coach Frey’s proven track record is a result of her coaching philosophy and style, which have been refined over her 20+ year career of playing and coaching at the highest youth and professional levels.

“I pride myself on a ‘player-first’ approach and I am excited to be joining an organization that shares the same vision.* I look forward to helping grow NY Surf into the best player development club in metro New York,” said Coach Frey.

As a player, Frey was named as a two time collegiate All American, won the W-League National Championship with the Boston Renegades and played professionally with the NY Power and in England’s Premier League for Bristol City.* Coach Frey has coached at the collegiate level as an assistant coach for both Dowling University and St. John’s University, and professionally at Bristol City.

Previously, Coach Frey graduated from Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pa., with a bachelor’s degree in business in 2002.* She enjoyed a four-year playing career with the team, which included earning the aforementioned first team Division II All-American honors in 2000, third team All-American honors in 2001 and first team All-Conference and All-Region honors from 1998-2001.* She also helped lead her team to the NCAA Division II Championship quarterfinals in 1999 and 2000.

Register for New York Surf’s 2017-2018 Academy tryouts which are taking place across our player pools in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Westchester and Queens at*www.nysurfsoccer.org.

Comment

Wish her luck. I doubt as a freshman and sophomore she led her team as the release states. That's rare in college to see enough playing time to be an impact player in those years.

I just don't see it? Did Westchester and LI need another club? Won't SUSA bury them on LI with their planned facilities? I think the players they do have are happy so in that sense they are doing good but they were sold as a carbon copy of the SD Surf. How do you measure their progress here?

Maybe Larry set them up for failure by talking up GDA and ECNL? They and other startups now know you need to develop many strong teams first before gaining access to those platforms. If it wasn't that way franchises would be awarded by who has the best business plan. How did they not know that?

At the very least they should have muzzled Larry up front before he damaged their brand.

Comment

Wish her luck. I doubt as a freshman and sophomore she led her team as the release states. That's rare in college to see enough playing time to be an impact player in those years.

I just don't see it? Did Westchester and LI need another club? Won't SUSA bury them on LI with their planned facilities? I think the players they do have are happy so in that sense they are doing good but they were sold as a carbon copy of the SD Surf. How do you measure their progress here?

Maybe Larry set them up for failure by talking up GDA and ECNL? They and other startups now know you need to develop many strong teams first before gaining access to those platforms. If it wasn't that way franchises would be awarded by who has the best business plan. How did they not know that?

At the very least they should have muzzled Larry up front before he damaged their brand.

Always room for another club as long as their are clients. Agree that Surf talked it up too much. They are not getting ECNL for girls or boys and no chance for DA's. Many talk of all these great trainers they have. If they were so good they wouldn't have been lookin for employment from a start up club.

Comment

With NYSC shrinking their program Surf could be well poised in the Westchester area. That wasn't necessarily the case last year. At the same time they were foolish to go hard after the LI market. They should have focused on one or the other (and Westchester was probably better because they can draw from a huge area) and tried to build up that one branch first, establish credibility etc. They could eventually get a higher badge but its not going to happen right out of the gate no matter how reputable they are in CA.

Comment

With NYSC shrinking their program Surf could be well poised in the Westchester area. That wasn't necessarily the case last year. At the same time they were foolish to go hard after the LI market. They should have focused on one or the other (and Westchester was probably better because they can draw from a huge area) and tried to build up that one branch first, establish credibility etc. They could eventually get a higher badge but its not going to happen right out of the gate no matter how reputable they are in CA.
                      They should put all their energizes into Westchester. Long Island already has big clubs in great leagues with strong track records. Something which Surf can't compete with. Now you can add Valencia to the mix. They already have their semi pro league in Westchester too.

Comment

They should put all their energizes into Westchester. Long Island already has big clubs in great leagues with strong track records. Something which Surf can't compete with. Now you can add Valencia to the mix. They already have their semi pro league in Westchester too.
                        Why is Valencia a factor? I remember Boca Juniors coming to take over ny youth soccer. Do they train a lot of players and teams on Long Island?

Comment

Looking at Surf's posted tryouts they are essentially putting Suffolk, Westchester and NYC on the back burner while going all in with Nassau County. And I'm guessing they are counting on Meghan bringing a bunch of teams in with her.

Comment

Looking at Surf's posted tryouts they are essentially putting Suffolk, Westchester and NYC on the back burner while going all in with Nassau County. And I'm guessing they are counting on Meghan bringing a bunch of teams in with her.
                            She doesn't have any teams to bring. She is not even close to a big name or have the credentials to bring credibility.

Comment

She doesn't have any teams to bring. She is not even close to a big name or have the credentials to bring credibility.
                              I didn't say that the plan would work.

Comment

So Stony Brook dumped Rush for Surf. But Surf is now coalescing in Nassau County. So, does Stony Brook stick with the affiliation, look for a new suitor or just do everything in house?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X