Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the USSF hire a new coach?

Is it time to get a coach outside of the US?

So players not executing is a reason to fire a coach? I do not think so, once the players who should have started came on the game changed for the better even with the game being lost. We should all be proud of what they accomplished instead of looking at what mistakes were made! Besides the trophy was not going to you was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So players not executing is a reason to fire a coach? I do not think so, once the players who should have started came on the game changed for the better even with the game being lost. We should all be proud of what they accomplished instead of looking at what mistakes were made! Besides the trophy was not going to you was it?
      Re-read what you wrote. "once the players who should have started came on the game changed for the better even ".

That is soccer my friend. You only get 3 subs a game. Now go back to shelling out thousands of dollars to your "professional" club coach you ninny.

Comment

BB's starting 11 decision was mind-boggling. Clark? Inexplicable decision. That being said, the U.S. team finishes about as good as your run of the mill rec team. Also, the next 4 years need to be spent developing a back line that my grandmother can't beat. Very disappointing today.

Comment

BB's starting 11 decision was mind-boggling. Clark? Inexplicable decision. That being said, the U.S. team finishes about as good as your run of the mill rec team. Also, the next 4 years need to be spent developing a back line that my grandmother can't beat. Very disappointing today.
          This was maybe the best opportunity to get to the semi-finals and the opportunity was wasted.

Comment

4 games, not a single goal by a striker

In 4 games, no striker scored. Not very impressed with Altidore's play. Our ability to finish needs a lot of work. That being said, the USMNT is at least able to "play on the stage" and generate opportunities at goal. It's a far cry from my youth watching Ricky Davis and company hammer-kick the ball around.

A lot of people will probably say...but we could have won. Yea, true...but that also sums up just about 90% of all soccer matches.

May they make as much progress in the next 4 years as they have in the last 4.

Comment

No, it's time for all you clubs, coaches, and parents to stop focusijng on winning state cups, and focus on training our best players to be better technically and tactically.

It's real hypocritical for people to post on this forum to fire the coach as if it's his fault, when many of the same people are on here spewing the garbage about about U11 and U12 state cup champions, and NEFC this, and Scorpions that.

Our national team is a collection of athletes, that admittedly work very hard, and care about each other as teammates. But technically and tactically, they aren't up to par with the rest of the world because the better players in the rest of the world are getting the technical and tactical foundations laid at 11 and 12 years old (and younger in some places). Their best players (and their parents) aren't fueling this desire to win medals, trophies, jackets, and bragging rights at these young ages.

Comment

Both Bradley's performed well. The senior coached a deficient team well. He was able to make changes, adjustments and keep the US team in the games. The junior Bradley had very good tournament and he will get more notice. The problem is more the US back four. Everyone knew that going in. You need a lock down defense in the World cup and not give up the first goal. Round of 16 is o.k. for this team. They were expected to advance that far. Round of eight is about the best the US could have expected.

Lot of people talking about the world cup in the USA even form those who aren't into soccer. (a good thing)

Comment

No, it's time for all you clubs, coaches, and parents to stop focusijng on winning state cups, and focus on training our best players to be better technically and tactically.

It's real hypocritical for people to post on this forum to fire the coach as if it's his fault, when many of the same people are on here spewing the garbage about about U11 and U12 state cup champions, and NEFC this, and Scorpions that.

Our national team is a collection of athletes, that admittedly work very hard, and care about each other as teammates. But technically and tactically, they aren't up to par with the rest of the world because the better players in the rest of the world are getting the technical and tactical foundations laid at 11 and 12 years old (and younger in some places). Their best players (and their parents) aren't fueling this desire to win medals, trophies, jackets, and bragging rights at these young ages.
                  You are partially correct. I started this thread and I wholeheartedly agree that our current structure is the problem. But why should clubs and coaches stop? Parents keep shelling out thousands and thousands of dollars for it. Remember, most of these coaches were educated or trained by, you guessed it, USSF licensed coaches. Bradley, and past national team coaches have been trainers for the higher licenses. 20 years ago, Project 2010 was created with the goal being that we could compete to win the World Cup now. Our goal going into this Cup? Getting out of the round robin. On that point, Project 2010 was a failure. Our National team coaches since 1990 have been: Gansler, Bora, Steve Sampson, Arena and Bradley. 4 of the 5 are from the good old boys network of the USSF. The current structure only rewards the middle class and up. Only players in big organizations (MPS, NEFC, Stars etc..) and ODP get a chance to move up the ladder and potentially develop more as a player, hence an economic disadvantage. the same was happening 20 years ago with ODP. You would only see kids from netwon and Wellsley on the state team. How is that necessarily different than the club structure now? There are numerous clubs out there with 'licensed USSF" coaches but seriousy watch the teams play. No organization out on the field, players can't make decisions for themselves, coaches not knowing how to handle tatical decisions but keep saying that the problem is skill development and keep teaching "fast footwork" clinics. Club soccer = business. THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!

If the US wants to get serious about building a program that can actually win the World Cup, clean out the USSF and spend the money on a successful person who can make the sport a power. We have enough people playing the game. It is the same old broken record each World Cup since 1994. The US can make some noise.......bowe dout in last in 1998, were extremely lucky in 2002 to get to the quaterfinals, bowed out in 2006, led for 2 minutes in 2010.

Comment

You are partially correct. I started this thread and I wholeheartedly agree that our current structure is the problem. But why should clubs and coaches stop? ... If the US wants to get serious about building a program that can actually win the World Cup, clean out the USSF and spend the money on a successful person who can make the sport a power. We have enough people playing the game. It is the same old broken record each World Cup since 1994. The US can make some noise.......bowe dout in last in 1998, were extremely lucky in 2002 to get to the quaterfinals, bowed out in 2006, led for 2 minutes in 2010.
                    Only consolation I take from loss to Ghana is that Bradley's position isn't secure for next four years.

1. Not one athlete on US squad was capable of taking the ball down and scoring like Gyan did in the OT -- US had lots of chances but cannot finish.

2. Inexcusable to leave Feilhaber on the bench all of the time -- despite this repeated brain fart by the coach, the bigger problem is a lack of depth. US just doesn't have another creative, attacking player that can come in off the bench and help change or take over a game. This was amply clear after the Confed Cup last year and more obvious over past two weeks.

Comment

You are partially correct. I started this thread and I wholeheartedly agree that our current structure is the problem. But why should clubs and coaches stop? Parents keep shelling out thousands and thousands of dollars for it. Remember, most of these coaches were educated or trained by, you guessed it, USSF licensed coaches. Bradley, and past national team coaches have been trainers for the higher licenses. 20 years ago, Project 2010 was created with the goal being that we could compete to win the World Cup now. Our goal going into this Cup? Getting out of the round robin. On that point, Project 2010 was a failure. Our National team coaches since 1990 have been: Gansler, Bora, Steve Sampson, Arena and Bradley. 4 of the 5 are from the good old boys network of the USSF. The current structure only rewards the middle class and up. Only players in big organizations (MPS, NEFC, Stars etc..) and ODP get a chance to move up the ladder and potentially develop more as a player, hence an economic disadvantage. the same was happening 20 years ago with ODP. You would only see kids from netwon and Wellsley on the state team. How is that necessarily different than the club structure now? There are numerous clubs out there with 'licensed USSF" coaches but seriousy watch the teams play. No organization out on the field, players can't make decisions for themselves, coaches not knowing how to handle tatical decisions but keep saying that the problem is skill development and keep teaching "fast footwork" clinics. Club soccer = business. THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!

If the US wants to get serious about building a program that can actually win the World Cup, clean out the USSF and spend the money on a successful person who can make the sport a power. We have enough people playing the game. It is the same old broken record each World Cup since 1994. The US can make some noise.......bowe dout in last in 1998, were extremely lucky in 2002 to get to the quaterfinals, bowed out in 2006, led for 2 minutes in 2010.
                      Actually, this is why US Soccer created DAP. To cast a wide net across the country, and train the best players with th etrainong methods and philsophies put forth by the national team administration and coaches.

But still, we have parents who would rather put their players in a position where they can brag about their state champions, and will trash the DAP because it doesn't give them that "winnining gratification" through their children. They justify this by saying "not akk good payers are in DAP". I ask, "why not"? Why wouldn't you be just as proud of your kid if he was good enough to make a DAP team and be in this program where he would actually be trained as if he was a National Team player, and be constantly observed by National Team scouts?

Blaming Bradley and the National Team coaches is short sighted. They can only do so much with what they are given. A coach with a foreign accent wouldn't have gotten any more out of this team. It's time to ficus on the players at the youngest ages, and give them the foundations in th etechnical areas of the game so that they can compete at this level.

Your point about clubs taking the money because people are willing to give it to them is a great one. But look what happens in this forum when the Bolts, who decide to pull their youngest teams out of MAPLE and move into a league that is far less focused on results: they get hammered and accused of doing it because they weren't winning. There needs to be a sea-change in the mentality. Until then, you will get what you have seen in the last several World Cups: a team that works incredibly hard, but can't compete technically and tacticlly with the middle and upper end of national teams.

Comment

In 4 games, no striker scored. Not very impressed with Altidore's play. Our ability to finish needs a lot of work. That being said, the USMNT is at least able to "play on the stage" and generate opportunities at goal. It's a far cry from my youth watching Ricky Davis and company hammer-kick the ball around.

A lot of people will probably say...but we could have won. Yea, true...but that also sums up just about 90% of all soccer matches.

May they make as much progress in the next 4 years as they have in the last 4.
                        It concerns me that a "party line" has been adopted that the team did well, is on an improving track, and things will continue to get better.

Although there was a better showing than 4 years ago, many forget that just 8 years ago the team made the quarterfinals where if I recall correctly the lost to the Germans 2-0. Or maybe 2-1.

You would have a hard time convincing me that this team is significantly better than the team we fielded 8 years ago.

Comment

Actually, this is why US Soccer created DAP. To cast a wide net across the country, and train the best players with th etrainong methods and philsophies put forth by the national team administration and coaches.

But still, we have parents who would rather put their players in a position where they can brag about their state champions, and will trash the DAP because it doesn't give them that "winnining gratification" through their children. They justify this by saying "not akk good payers are in DAP". I ask, "why not"? Why wouldn't you be just as proud of your kid if he was good enough to make a DAP team and be in this program where he would actually be trained as if he was a National Team player, and be constantly observed by National Team scouts?

Blaming Bradley and the National Team coaches is short sighted. They can only do so much with what they are given. A coach with a foreign accent wouldn't have gotten any more out of this team. It's time to ficus on the players at the youngest ages, and give them the foundations in th etechnical areas of the game so that they can compete at this level.

Your point about clubs taking the money because people are willing to give it to them is a great one. But look what happens in this forum when the Bolts, who decide to pull their youngest teams out of MAPLE and move into a league that is far less focused on results: they get hammered and accused of doing it because they weren't winning. There needs to be a sea-change in the mentality. Until then, you will get what you have seen in the last several World Cups: a team that works incredibly hard, but can't compete technically and tacticlly with the middle and upper end of national teams.
                          You can blame Bradley because a). As one of the previous posters said about him having a brain fart with line ups, he has had many of those over the course of his tenure. b.) He is a USSF boy. The DAP is another Project 2010, doomed to fail. Look at your DAP rosters and tell me that those are your best players? I agree with you that MAPLE is a freaking farce and a Roy Turner league (character Vic Morrow played in the Bad News Bears as the Yankees manager). The coaching and officiating in this country is lacking.

Comment

You can blame Bradley because a). As one of the previous posters said about him having a brain fart with line ups, he has had many of those over the course of his tenure. b.) He is a USSF boy. The DAP is another Project 2010, doomed to fail. Look at your DAP rosters and tell me that those are your best players? I agree with you that MAPLE is a freaking farce and a Roy Turner league (character Vic Morrow played in the Bad News Bears as the Yankees manager). The coaching and officiating in this country is lacking.
                            I don't know what the answer is, but I do know it isn't the DAP -- or France, Italy, England and all the other countries with professional academy systems wouldn't be asking the same questions about why they don't have enough world class players. It is really hard when you are competing with the best that the rest of the world can offer, and you just cannot escape the reality that starving, slum kids in the third world use soccer as a means to escape crushing poverty. DAP, MAPLE, MASC, etc. kids whose mommies and daddies drive to them practice a couple of times per week in air conditioned SUVs don't have the same incentive to excel or die (only a little overly dramatic).

Comment

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know it isn't the DAP -- or France, Italy, England and all the other countries with professional academy systems wouldn't be asking the same questions about why they don't have enough world class players. It is really hard when you are competing with the best that the rest of the world can offer, and you just cannot escape the reality that starving, slum kids in the third world use soccer as a means to escape crushing poverty. DAP, MAPLE, MASC, etc. kids whose mommies and daddies drive to them practice a couple of times per week in air conditioned SUVs don't have the same incentive to excel or die (only a little overly dramatic).
                              Your last sentence hits home. 20 years ago ODP was the be all end all. Players on those teams were from your Wellsley/Newton type towns. Fast forward 20 years.........not much of a difference, one the USSF really needs to rectify.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X