Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What best other sport

If your child's main sport is soccer, what would you say is another good sport for them to play that would compliment soccer. I have had suggestions from lacrosse to BMX riding( had a coach say it coaxes independent decision making??)...

I was thinking basketball, alot of endurance, change direction.. what y'all think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If your child's main sport is soccer, what would you say is another good sport for them to play that would compliment soccer. I have had suggestions from lacrosse to BMX riding( had a coach say it coaxes independent decision making??)...

I was thinking basketball, alot of endurance, change direction.. what y'all think?
Track. Hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Basketball works well with soccer because the seasons don't really overlap. However, both are physically demanding on the body and young bodies need rest from time to time. That said, basketball is great for GKs.

Anyway, your kid should play other sports the ENJOY, not because they compliment soccer. If he or she is still young chances are they won't even be playing soccer by high school. So chillax dad. Let your kid gravitate the sports that call to them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Track. Hands down.
Winter track obviously.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A sport he or she will play enthusiastically. A sport with his or her friends.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Futsal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If your child's main sport is soccer, what would you say is another good sport for them to play that would compliment soccer. I have had suggestions from lacrosse to BMX riding( had a coach say it coaxes independent decision making??)...

I was thinking basketball, alot of endurance, change direction.. what y'all think?
If your kid is a goalkeeper, I'd go with basketball.

Otherwise I'd go with LAX. It's soccer with sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyway, your kid should play other sports the ENJOY, not because they compliment soccer. If he or she is still young chances are they won't even be playing soccer by high school. So chillax dad. Let your kid gravitate the sports that call to them.
^ this
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Track would be the most benefit. Watch a game of kids play, and you see most of them getting tired and once they're tired, they don't play properly. they're too tired to get into passing lanes, move into proper positions, track back, fight for loose balls, or have any energy left to burst down a wing.

Run track for 3 months and an 80 minute soccer game is nothing. My son ran 15-20 miles a week with a team and it changed his game forever.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2018
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Track would be the most benefit. Watch a game of kids play, and you see most of them getting tired and once they're tired, they don't play properly. they're too tired to get into passing lanes, move into proper positions, track back, fight for loose balls, or have any energy left to burst down a wing.

Run track for 3 months and an 80 minute soccer game is nothing. My son ran 15-20 miles a week with a team and it changed his game forever.
Track means Track & Field ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.