Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some of the best coaches I have seen on the girls side are fathers who have coached their daughters at some point or are currently coaching their daughters. I agree with the other poster that on the boys side the fathers are often harder on their own sons. I only saw favoritism at the rec level, once the fathers started the licensing process that issue generally went away. It seemed to be more of an excuse for parents who unreasonably thought their kids were better than they were.
    Meh... have seen it both ways. Had a similar issue as the previous poster. Parents complained and the team was taken away. Coaches D stayed with the team but not in the same capacity as previously. Good player, not great. Dad worked the team around her which of course is wrong.

Each situation needs to be judged on its own merit however, think coaching your own kids past a certain age is not good.

Comment

Sunrise has a maternity ward for daddy coaches

Comment

Usually they are bad in my experience

From playing baseball growing up and then now observing our club I will say that most often their are problems. I've seen it work out a few times. But usually when a dad is the coach you will see some of the falling issues

1) Son gets to play where he wants and is shown favoritism

2) Coach is over the top hard on son and that is also bad

3) Coach shows favoritism to son's friends or classmates

4) Coach focuses so much on son's performance that he can't see at all how the rest of the kids on the team are performing

5) Coach pushes team extra hard (which can be good) because they are more invested in the team.

6) Coach blames other players for son's poor performance

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now or have not experienced. But personal experiences are that it is great about 1 out of 4 times. The other 3 however are dreadful experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered-J View Post
          From playing baseball growing up and then now observing our club I will say that most often their are problems. I've seen it work out a few times. But usually when a dad is the coach you will see some of the falling issues

1) Son gets to play where he wants and is shown favoritism

2) Coach is over the top hard on son and that is also bad

3) Coach shows favoritism to son's friends or classmates

4) Coach focuses so much on son's performance that he can't see at all how the rest of the kids on the team are performing

5) Coach pushes team extra hard (which can be good) because they are more invested in the team.

6) Coach blames other players for son's poor performance

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now or have not experienced. But personal experiences are that it is great about 1 out of 4 times. The other 3 however are dreadful experiences.
          All of these are legit but in most cases, the coaches kids are usually the best kid on the team.

Comment

Never Seen That

"Usually the coaches kid is the best on the team"??????

I'm going to be honest here. I've literally never seen that. And I've seen lots of coaches kids. Talking about 40 years here. I've never seen the coach's kid be the best on the team unless you are talking about 5 year olds or something like that.

I will say that the coach's kid is usually a slightly above average player. But that is about it from what I've experienced. And I'm pretty old.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered-J View Post
              "Usually the coaches kid is the best on the team"??????

I'm going to be honest here. I've literally never seen that. And I've seen lots of coaches kids. Talking about 40 years here. I've never seen the coach's kid be the best on the team unless you are talking about 5 year olds or something like that.

I will say that the coach's kid is usually a slightly above average player. But that is about it from what I've experienced. And I'm pretty old.

Kinda agree with this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X