Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacting minors thru social media

My 12 year old daughter and her friends have had a coach that they know at another club contacting them through personal snapchat and instagram accounts trying to get them to join his team, sometimes late at night. Is this something that is allowed to happen or are there rules in place to prevent this?

Rule of common sense. Find a different team.

Comment

As a coach of a u13 boys team, I would never contact any player directly. This coach/trainer should now better and they should block him/her immediately or you as a parent should contact them and tell them it's inappropriate. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        As a coach of a u13 boys team, I would never contact any player directly. This coach/trainer should know better and they should block him/her immediately or you as a parent should contact them and tell them it's inappropriate. Good luck
        Agreed- Contact his club also.

Comment

My 12 year old daughter and her friends have had a coach that they know at another club contacting them through personal snapchat and instagram accounts trying to get them to join his team, sometimes late at night. Is this something that is allowed to happen or are there rules in place to prevent this?
          It's great that your daughter is telling you this also. Good job

Comment

Yes great that your child told you. It is unacceptable to reach out to students prior to HS. Even in HS communications should be kept to facts only like information about practice times, what jersey to wear etc via a text or email chain. No friending or other social media. Purely informational. A smart coach copies parents on everything regardless of age.

Comment

Yes great that your child told you. It is unacceptable to reach out to students prior to HS. Even in HS communications should be kept to facts only like information about practice times, what jersey to wear etc via a text or email chain. No friending or other social media. Purely informational. A smart coach copies parents on everything regardless of age.
              I agree 100%. This guy/girl is only looking for trouble regardless if they are just kidding around. (Which will be his/her response)

Comment

Definitely that’s a NO. No coach should be reaching out to your child on social media it’s absolutely inappropriate. I would let that person know, and cc their DOC. I wouldn’t want some coach with clearly poor judgement anywhere near my kid! Recruiting 12 year olds ***! Sleazy tactics. I think I know which club.

Comment

FC SESA has been known to contact players from other clubs via their Instagram account. What would you judge that to be?

Comment

I have 2004 and 2007 players, my 2004 was contacted and offered free training at FC SESA.

Blocked them from my sons social media accounts. I have Never heard of a club using this tactic to recruit before. I agree 100% Clubs should have rules governing the contact of minors through social media. Disturbing.

2007 has no social media yet. It wont be long until that conversation starts.

Comment

FC SESA has been known to contact players from other clubs via their Instagram account. What would you judge that to be?
                      Very different if a CLUB has kids as Instagram followers vs a COACH. Clubs need to sell themselves all the time and social media is now part of the marketing plan for clubs and just about any other business these days. But a coach should not be in contact with teens particularly if they are not his players. He might just be a clueless dolt but the employer is at great risk and needs to shut it down ASAP.

Comment

A reputable club would already have rules against this, and a smart trainer would never participate in that kind of behavior. I would report him to his DOC.

Comment

If it's LIJSL there are very strict rules against this and if you show the posts to LIJSL they will take action.

If this is NYCSL they are in theory against this kind of thing but it would be hit or miss as to whether they would actually do anything about it.

Have no idea about what EDP would do.

Depending on the club if you complained to their club president they may or may not take action.

Comment

If it's LIJSL there are very strict rules against this and if you show the posts to LIJSL they will take action.

If this is NYCSL they are in theory against this kind of thing but it would be hit or miss as to whether they would actually do anything about it.

Have no idea about what EDP would do.

Depending on the club if you complained to their club president they may or may not take action.
                            Any club with half a brain (that's about all most clubs have really) knows to put a stop to that immediately. It could turn into a sh*tshow overnight.

Comment

I have 2004 and 2007 players, my 2004 was contacted and offered free training at FC SESA.

Blocked them from my sons social media accounts. I have Never heard of a club using this tactic to recruit before. I agree 100% Clubs should have rules governing the contact of minors through social media. Disturbing.

2007 has no social media yet. It wont be long until that conversation starts.
                              I agree about the unsolicited recruiting by a youth club directly to youth participants via social media. It reeks of desperation, and to use a baseball term, quite bush league. I guess all that money FC SESA gave BOTN didn’t yield the results it thought it would.

This wasn’t a rouge coach who made a bad decision, this occurred under full knowledge of tip club brass.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X