Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

We joined last year, mostly because I thought the training was much better, her ECNL coach did not practice enough technically, and I felt that was very important for college coaches. I attribute her being offered a D1 scholarship directly to her advanced training regimen of her GDA club.
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We joined last year, mostly because I thought the training was much better, her ECNL coach did not practice enough technically, and I felt that was very important for college coaches. I attribute her being offered a D1 scholarship directly to her advanced training regimen of her GDA club.
Happy for you.

Slightly off topic, but your post remids me of a point I wanted to make.

Parents seem far too wiling to shore up the current system by focusing on outcomes and not overall quality. at the ECNL Club WC, they are constantly telling everyone about all the commits they have for the 2002 team. Its as if its easier to use commits as a surrogate for quality. Its become the badge of validity at most Clubs because it is a bad barometer.

I judge Clubs on quality of players they produce, not by commits. Getting a kid with top end potential an early commit to a so so school may actually be a failure. Getting a kid with average talent a spot on a team in her Senior year may be a huge coaching achievement.

Because we dont have all the information, commit has become synonymous with quality.
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
After seeing many posts in this thread and on the dreaded Larry board, it seems to me that some folks have lost sight of the purpose of joining GDA.

So Im curious what are your and your kids goals, dreams , reasons for playing GDA vs some other league/ level. Why did you guys ( kids) join?
the club my daughter played with was pushing the DA hard and seeing how the club was rostering all of their higher level players as DA - seemed for us the only choice to make. I do not have a reference to compare the DA to ECNL, however, after attending the showcases for the DA I was impressed with number of college recruiters who attended and watched a lot of our games. Because of the showcase experience, my daughter decided to remain playing in the DA.
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Happy for you.

Slightly off topic, but your post remids me of a point I wanted to make.

Parents seem far too wiling to shore up the current system by focusing on outcomes and not overall quality. at the ECNL Club WC, they are constantly telling everyone about all the commits they have for the 2002 team. Its as if its easier to use commits as a surrogate for quality. Its become the badge of validity at most Clubs because it is a bad barometer.

I judge Clubs on quality of players they produce, not by commits. Getting a kid with top end potential an early commit to a so so school may actually be a failure. Getting a kid with average talent a spot on a team in her Senior year may be a huge coaching achievement.

Because we dont have all the information, commit has become synonymous with quality.
You sound a little envious. Whats wrong, Fairfield, CCSU, and Manhattan not as good as Duke, Virginia, or Stanford????
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
the club my daughter played with was pushing the DA hard and seeing how the club was rostering all of their higher level players as DA - seemed for us the only choice to make. I do not have a reference to compare the DA to ECNL, however, after attending the showcases for the DA I was impressed with number of college recruiters who attended and watched a lot of our games. Because of the showcase experience, my daughter decided to remain playing in the DA.
Im genuinely interested, when you were attending these showcases, how could you tell who was a college coach? Were new to this, just starting showcases, and am curious as to how, as parents and spectators, to pick them out. I mean do they watch from a designated area, are they literally carrying clipboards/folders/iPads? Are they dressed in college/university gear?
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Im genuinely interested, when you were attending these showcases, how could you tell who was a college coach? Were new to this, just starting showcases, and am curious as to how, as parents and spectators, to pick them out. I mean do they watch from a designated area, are they literally carrying clipboards/folders/iPads? Are they dressed in college/university gear?
For the most part, Yes, Yes & Yes.
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
For the most part, Yes, Yes & Yes.
Haha Got it. Good to know when we go in a few weeks, Thanks!
Old 10-10-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha Got it. Good to know when we go in a few weeks, Thanks!
If you're new to this, you should know that coaches don't randomly watch games, they're there to see specific players-most of which they've been communicating with for a while. Sure, once in a while an additional player catches their eye, but it doesn't happen that often. If your daughter is interested in having coaches come see her, she should work with her club coach/doc to get in touch with those coaches and provide them with her schedule.

Just trying to be helpful...
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Gear? absolutely
Note taking (phone, ipad, paper) Check

They also tend to sit down on either corner, sometimes even on the bench side, to stay away from parents
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
If you're new to this, you should know that coaches don't randomly watch games, they're there to see specific players-most of which they've been communicating with for a while. Sure, once in a while an additional player catches their eye, but it doesn't happen that often. If your daughter is interested in having coaches come see her, she should work with her club coach/doc to get in touch with those coaches and provide them with her schedule.

Just trying to be helpful...
Not entirely true, some girls are definitely on radars and should expect to get coaches to check them out for a few minutes - but I can tell you last year we did not have any one particular player who was on the radar. I think the coach and the team name brought them to the sidelines.

Another poster answered for me as I was the one who mentioned the showcases - but in agreement with the previous responses. They definitely are easy to spot. They tend to sit away from the parents (corner of the team side of the field) but have all of their college gear on, note pads, and from my experience were ok with small engaging conversation. I was able to talk to some of the coaches that sparked my daughters interest and they were happy to answer questions as I also passed them a copy of our team flyer for their reference.

My daughter has had a lot of college feedback from the two showcases last year (U14 Spring & Summer).