Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's not even consistently used at the college level. Just because a technology exists doesn't mean it needs to always be used. Somehow athletes have survived the millennia without it.
    At the HS level they probably don't need that monitoring. But HS soccer training sucks. They are usually run by a teacher, not a trained soccer trainer.

The advantage of the GDA is the training. Four days a week with a qualified trainer, is much better that 5 or 6 days a week with a unqualified person. Those 3 months or so with HS will at best, get the kids in shape (due to running), and at worse cause injuries. Either due to overwork, or because of the large variation in the quality of the players.

Of course, you have to be with a GDA that actually gives good training to see the benefits.

Comment

At the HS level they probably don't need that monitoring. But HS soccer training sucks. They are usually run by a teacher, not a trained soccer trainer.

The advantage of the GDA is the training. Four days a week with a qualified trainer, is much better that 5 or 6 days a week with a unqualified person. Those 3 months or so with HS will at best, get the kids in shape (due to running), and at worse cause injuries. Either due to overwork, or because of the large variation in the quality of the players.

Of course, you have to be with a GDA that actually gives good training to see the benefits.
      Yes and as we know the quality of DA clubs and trainers is highly variable. These were non DA coaches 15 months ago. They didn't all get A licensed and magically get better just because their club joined a new league. Nor are all HS coaches the stereotypical history teacher. At ours and most of the schools we play they're club coaches. Of course the training and competition and training isn't the same as DA but offers other less tangible benefits. The question becomes is it worth giving it up? All depends on what you want, what's important to you and what your club options are. What is frustrating and was very predictable is that GDA is so highly variable/inconsistent. They bit off more than they could chew and it's too diluted. It's harder to make the pitch to give up HS when some GDA clubs aren't very good and players have other options.

Comment

Yes and as we know the quality of DA clubs and trainers is highly variable. These were non DA coaches 15 months ago. They didn't all get A licensed and magically get better just because their club joined a new league. Nor are all HS coaches the stereotypical history teacher. At ours and most of the schools we play they're club coaches. Of course the training and competition and training isn't the same as DA but offers other less tangible benefits. The question becomes is it worth giving it up? All depends on what you want, what's important to you and what your club options are. What is frustrating and was very predictable is that GDA is so highly variable/inconsistent. They bit off more than they could chew and it's too diluted. It's harder to make the pitch to give up HS when some GDA clubs aren't very good and players have other options.
        With their desperation for players, many GDA clubs and teams too many low level players, a lower level than the majority of the players on my kid's HS team. Is HS soccer amazing, high level play? Not really, but neither is the majority of GDA training/play in the area.

Comment

With their desperation for players, many GDA clubs and teams too many low level players, a lower level than the majority of the players on my kid's HS team. Is HS soccer amazing, high level play? Not really, but neither is the majority of GDA training/play in the area.
          Very true. So then you have to question if the cost, time and sacrifices are worth doing relative to what you're getting out of DA. Combine the variability with having a strong 2nd option with ECNL (in boys there really isn't a 2nd place option even close). Girls have options, which is good for them. It isn't good for GDA.

Comment

It's not even consistently used at the college level. Just because a technology exists doesn't mean it needs to always be used. Somehow athletes have survived the millennia without it.
            so your point is survival ? its pretty clear that technology are helping athletes play longer and that the fact that people survived before is irrelevant. the point was how do you know what the impact on the younger athletes body is of all these games? Clearly its something that quite a few people are willing to risk or do not perceive as a risk. Thats fine. i think the risk is real and the return is not worth it.

Comment

in the area? if you define the area as the NE, take a look at the GDA graduates playing in College now. many are also ECNL grads, but there are several performing at a pretty high level already and a year in GDA does not seem to have hurt them. I think there were MANY quality players in the GDA last year and will be many this year as well.

Comment

Very true. So then you have to question if the cost, time and sacrifices are worth doing relative to what you're getting out of DA. Combine the variability with having a strong 2nd option with ECNL (in boys there really isn't a 2nd place option even close). Girls have options, which is good for them. It isn't good for GDA.

i think its actually BAD for the girls. Options just create excuses for everyone. if there was real competition to be excellent we would be far better off. Insead there are a load of mediocre options that spend more money marketing than they do actually training kids

Comment

so your point is survival ? its pretty clear that technology are helping athletes play longer and that the fact that people survived before is irrelevant. the point was how do you know what the impact on the younger athletes body is of all these games? Clearly its something that quite a few people are willing to risk or do not perceive as a risk. Thats fine. i think the risk is real and the return is not worth it.
                  Buy and use the technology then but this is a luxury product and I dont want to fiance it for public schools. As a taxpayer, that is so far down the list of educational priorities to pay for that i would strongly object. And school sports are one of the few youth sporting opportunities left that are available in theory to all the kids in the district, not just the well-off ones and we should fight to keep it that way.

Comment

in the area? if you define the area as the NE, take a look at the GDA graduates playing in College now. many are also ECNL grads, but there are several performing at a pretty high level already and a year in GDA does not seem to have hurt them. I think there were MANY quality players in the GDA last year and will be many this year as well.
                    I'm glad you feel "a year in GDA [did] not seem to have hurt [players]", lol. Is that where the bar is set for GDA these days? Lmao

To be specific, I was talking about Long Island (because this is the LISC thread), where the GDA options are dismal and weaker than most HS teams. In the NE, NEFC and NYCFC are doing a pretty good job, but those clubs aren't an option for my kid.

Comment

Buy and use the technology then but this is a luxury product and I dont want to fiance it for public schools. As a taxpayer, that is so far down the list of educational priorities to pay for that i would strongly object. And school sports are one of the few youth sporting opportunities left that are available in theory to all the kids in the district, not just the well-off ones and we should fight to keep it that way.
                      No, I would not expect this to be financed for High School players.

So, that's why some are saying it's not up to speed today.

Comment

No, I would not expect this to be financed for High School players.

So, that's why some are saying it's not up to speed today.
                        I don't think anyone claimed it wasHS soccer would ever offer all the bells and whistles of fancy club soccer. It is a 10 week program and one big advantage of HS is that is supported fincially by the entire tax paying community and a club players gets to compete with and against players that are not able to participate in super expensive club soccer. That may or may not be of value to you and your player.

Comment

I'm glad you feel "a year in GDA [did] not seem to have hurt [players]", lol. Is that where the bar is set for GDA these days? Lmao

To be specific, I was talking about Long Island (because this is the LISC thread), where the GDA options are dismal and weaker than most HS teams. In the NE, NEFC and NYCFC are doing a pretty good job, but those clubs aren't an option for my kid.
                          That statement is completely false. On Long Island I will guaranteed LISC, and Fury are better than any HS team out there. The GDA has some problems, but lets not go off the deep end. Like someone else said, you have to determine what is most important for you and your daughter...

Comment

I case you don't realize it, the cost of the ECNL is more that the cost of the GDA in many cases. The time and the sacrifices (weekend travel, commitment) are the same. With ECNL you get to play HS ball, with the GDA you get an additional 2 months of training 4 times a week, as well as an extra training session every week (4 vs 3) for the entire year.

If the social aspect of HS ball is very important to your daughter, then play HS and play ECNL.

Comment

I case you don't realize it, the cost of the ECNL is more that the cost of the GDA in many cases. The time and the sacrifices (weekend travel, commitment) are the same. With ECNL you get to play HS ball, with the GDA you get an additional 2 months of training 4 times a week, as well as an extra training session every week (4 vs 3) for the entire year.

If the social aspect of HS ball is very important to your daughter, then play HS and play ECNL.
                              And in many cases it is not. Some of the most costly youth soccer options out there are located right here on LI and play in the GDA.

Comment

And in many cases it is not. Some of the most costly youth soccer options out there are located right here on LI and play in the GDA.
                                and some are not worth the $$$$

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X