Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bitter parents post bitter sentiments. If your kid has what they’re looking for it will definitely put her on the map. By no means a cake walk though. Definitely a better acid test than what you are going to get from any club though.
    If you are referring to my post above saying ODP is a waste and fixed you didn’t read my post carefully - not bitter - my daughter already committed as a junior to D1 - have nothing to bitter about - ECNL and her club have served her well

I feel sorry for parents thinking odp is a big deal

Comment

If you are referring to my post above saying ODP is a waste and fixed you didn’t read my post carefully - not bitter - my daughter already committed as a junior to D1 - have nothing to bitter about - ECNL and her club have served her well

I feel sorry for parents thinking odp is a big deal
      As the last few posts say, few think it ‘s a big deal. No different than simply being on DA or ECNL team. It is neither sufficient nor necessary, but it can be a great supplemental activity. For my D the physical development was good but less important than the mental benefits (toughness, motivation, relationships)

Comment

I guess I’m curious to hear if you are dropping several thousand dollars a year for training in ECNL that it’s not enough?

Comment

I guess I’m curious to hear if you are dropping several thousand dollars a year for training in ECNL that it’s not enough?
          As poster of previous, and to answer your question: ODP convinced us to make ECNL commitment. Once joining ECNL we dropped ODP.

I remain an ODP fan and think that it gives player good development and exposure prior to ECNL/GDA. Once at HS age an ODP regional pool player can walk onto an ECNL team and displace the legacy player coach was looking to upgrade anyway. At least my D did

Comment

All depends on what you are looking for. I’m a believer in learning as much of the game as one can to develop as a player. Different coaches, different styles, different positions. Hate to say it, but even DA and ECNL tend to rely too much on athleticism and not enough on tactics and technique. My kid is middle of the pack athleticism wise on her ECNL team. She makes up for it with superior technical skill and being a smart and versatile/adaptable player. That comes from being a student of the game. Ex: ODP coaches in a 4-3-3. Her team play in a 3-5-2 or a 4-1-4-1. Head coach at her first choice school already told her he likes adaptable midfielders because he is constantly changing formations and roles based on opponent and makes adjustments based on play. I see this as just another training platform where my kid has a bunch of friends and enjoys doing it.

Comment

I have a daughter who played in college. She made the ODP Regional pool at 11 and was in the NT pool by 14. I always thought that the biggest advantage to the program is it was the only avenue out there that really pushed the best players together. It’s the only program that actually recognizes that all players are not equal and try to force them to play with others of different abilities. True story. One summer at ID camp when mine was roughly a sophomore in high school and had been training with the NT pool for about a year she was getting frustrated in the regional pool training sessions because players weren’t going where she was expecting them to go and do what she was expecting them to do, nor did they have the technical skills to play the way she was accustomed and she was feeling pressure because of her status to perform in spite of what she saw as chaos around her. She had come over to me to vent in private when one of the regional coaches came over to her and started by saying that she needed to recognize that the rest of the players were ONLY regional pool players and by definition we’re not as physically talented nor did they have the ability to see the field as she saw it and at the pace she saw it. He said the regional and national team scouts knew this and what they were actually looking for from her was for her to obviously recognize situations and look to make the play that should have been made but then react and seamlessly form a secondary solution from it. The ultimate message to her was to control her obvious frustration and learn to make plays with lesser players knowing that the coaches recognized other players mistakes and did not hold her responsible for them. It was a profound message for her. I will also say that back on her club team that situation was an even bigger problem for her because there was a lower overall talent level on it than the regional pool even though she was playing ‘up’ with older teammates and the level of team was certain equal to a high level ECNL team. That short conversation really helped manage what was becoming a huge issue and I think helped propel her to where she ultimately got. Those of you who think the DA/ECNL is the whole answer are kidding yourselves. It certainly is a piece of the puzzle just not the whole puzzle.

Comment

Another true story. This is for the asking about whether the players got feedback as well as for those who think the process is easy. Suffice to say your kids need to have ice water in their veins to make it thru because the coaches will rip their hearts out and stuff it down their throats at times. Mine was a GK. In one of the scrimmages at ID camp one year she made a rather spectacular save in the upper 90 only to have 6 coaches liters surround her after the scrimmage and rip into her for that save because they felt she was taking the scrimmage too casually and as a result was out of position forcing her to make that spectacular save when it should have been rather routine. I mean those coaches dressed her down bad telling her that she needed to be on in every situation regardless of the format And she couldn’t just rely on her athleticism to bail her out when she got lazy. That dress down was about as harsh as I’ve ever heard in youth soccer. The message was clear though, the expectations were high for her and if she wanted to continue on the path that she was on she had better bring her A game at all times. It was a great message that my kid really needed to hear but as a parent I will tell you that it certainly wasn’t fun to watch. The feedback is there but your kid needs to be able to hear it and use it to get better or they will just discard them without a second thought. ODP is just a mechanism, a means to an end, use the pressure in it to help your kid get better but don’t expect a whole bunch of smiles and sunshine in it because ultimately the coaches don’t really care about the individual kids. They’re only concerned with producing the best possible players they can find.

Comment

Another true story. This is for the asking about whether the players got feedback as well as for those who think the process is easy. Suffice to say your kids need to have ice water in their veins to make it thru because the coaches will rip their hearts out and stuff it down their throats at times. Mine was a GK. In one of the scrimmages at ID camp one year she made a rather spectacular save in the upper 90 only to have 6 coaches liters surround her after the scrimmage and rip into her for that save because they felt she was taking the scrimmage too casually and as a result was out of position forcing her to make that spectacular save when it should have been rather routine. I mean those coaches dressed her down bad telling her that she needed to be on in every situation regardless of the format And she couldn’t just rely on her athleticism to bail her out when she got lazy. That dress down was about as harsh as I’ve ever heard in youth soccer. The message was clear though, the expectations were high for her and if she wanted to continue on the path that she was on she had better bring her A game at all times. It was a great message that my kid really needed to hear but as a parent I will tell you that it certainly wasn’t fun to watch. The feedback is there but your kid needs to be able to hear it and use it to get better or they will just discard them without a second thought. ODP is just a mechanism, a means to an end, use the pressure in it to help your kid get better but don’t expect a whole bunch of smiles and sunshine in it because ultimately the coaches don’t really care about the individual kids. They’re only concerned with producing the best possible players they can find.
                  Love this story. Thanks for sharing. Gets to heart of why so many parents dismiss ODP after the fact. Few players, and even fewer families deal well with harsh criticism of precious Mia

Comment

The coaches are angry because they can't attract quality players. ODP will go away very soon and be on display at the Smithsonian.

Comment

My daughter was selected for training pool. This is her first regional training selection. Is there formal feedback that comes back after training?
                      Original poster here. Thank you all for the insight and information. This is my daughter's 4th year in ODP and we have found it a very useful program for her development. It is also fun for her to play with many girls that she has competed against in town leagues and premier.

Comment

Lots of stories today, right, BTNT? And your own special endorsement of your stories. Nice touch. Now who is it again that repeatedly talks about his kids on TS?

Comment

Lots of stories today, right, BTNT? And your own special endorsement of your stories. Nice touch. Now who is it again that repeatedly talks about his kids on TS?
                          Can you ever add anything to a discussion other than your clear dislike for the guy. Seriously it doesn't appear that you have any experience with anything what so ever which makes your constant where's waldo game beyond boring.

Comment

Can you ever add anything to a discussion other than your clear dislike for the guy. Seriously it doesn't appear that you have any experience with anything what so ever which makes your constant where's waldo game beyond boring.
                            Do you think you might be boring at this point, BTNT? Any more stories about your kids? Finding opportunities to brag veiled in a "dressing down" lol?

Comment

Love this story. Thanks for sharing. Gets to heart of why so many parents dismiss ODP after the fact. Few players, and even fewer families deal well with harsh criticism of precious Mia
                              Bizarre post. Most diss ODP after the fact, and the reason is because of stories like that? No one someone figured out you were just answering yourself.

Comment

Bizarre post. Most diss ODP after the fact, and the reason is because of stories like that? No one someone figured out you were just answering yourself.
                                Actually no but keep swing at those windmills. And you complain about boring posts?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X