Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging “Level of Play”

Maybe this has already been covered but can others share some their experiences / ideas on how best to determine if their son/daughter can play at the “level” of specific target schools? This presumes that you already have a general feel for their capabilities from their current endeavors (HS, club, etc.).

I could envision university ID camps being the ideal setting as the coaches themselves would/could provide direct feedback (and/or express/not express interest in your kid). However, I don’t know if that is how those programs work.

Watching past games for the specific schools one has interest in seems reasonable but I am not a professional coach, so making real comparisons there seems challenging.

Does anyone really rely on what their club coach suggests? I get the impression they are only up to speed on a handful of specific programs (at best) across D1/D2/D3.

How many try to get in touch with former HS and/or club alumni to gauge their experience? I have to say that our club doesn’t seem to do much (if anything) on this front. So it would be a bit of a crap shoot and/or creepy to try to reach these “former players”.

Appreciate thoughts.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe this has already been covered but can others share some their experiences / ideas on how best to determine if their son/daughter can play at the “level” of specific target schools? This presumes that you already have a general feel for their capabilities from their current endeavors (HS, club, etc.).

I could envision university ID camps being the ideal setting as the coaches themselves would/could provide direct feedback (and/or express/not express interest in your kid). However, I don’t know if that is how those programs work.

Watching past games for the specific schools one has interest in seems reasonable but I am not a professional coach, so making real comparisons there seems challenging.

Does anyone really rely on what their club coach suggests? I get the impression they are only up to speed on a handful of specific programs (at best) across D1/D2/D3.

How many try to get in touch with former HS and/or club alumni to gauge their experience? I have to say that our club doesn’t seem to do much (if anything) on this front. So it would be a bit of a crap shoot and/or creepy to try to reach these “former players”.

Appreciate thoughts.
    Style of play or level of play?
    You should have at least once visited the program during the season to watch level of play.
    As for style, it doesn’t matter. They play for results and it’s all miserable.

Comment

I have a boy but I expect the answer is the same. Several coaches at my son's club told me his level of play (low d1, high d3). We targeted NESCAC ID camps the summer before junior year and all gave feedback after the camp that he was at a NESCAC level of play. He is on their radar screens and is being recruited with varying degrees of interest.

So yes, we relied on club coach assessments and ID camp feedback.

Comment

This is where you need to get videos out to a ton of coaches to express interest. You never know when a coach needs a certain type of player. Your club coach should help but in MA, I agree, the club coaches are focused on a fairly narrow college selection. This is where hard work for your family comes into play. Make a highlight reel. Figure out where your kid would like to go to school across a range. Figure out what you can afford. Then start contacting lots of coaches.

Comment

Appreciate thoughts.
          We targeted lower D1 camps, then moved to a couple high level D1 schools my daughter was interested in. The coaches pull out the best players for "all star" games often times having them play against known commits. That at least lets you know how the coach views their level of play.

Comment

to the thread OP: you understandably might not want to to reach out to old players but it's easy enough to look up their success rates. Almost all clubs publish their commits and their playing stats will be online at their schools. If very few players aren't playing by sophomore year that's a reason to be concerned. If most are getting good PT and having success then perhaps the club is pretty accurate with targeting. Overall I've seen that some clubs will tell families what they want to hear, leaving families frustrated and disappointed down the road, while others are brutally honest.

Some of the large ID events that bring in different schools is a good place to find out where your kid fits. Aim for one that's local and one day and has a variety of different levels/types of programs.

Comment

I agree with OP premise that it is hard for a parent with untrained eye to differentiate level of play. Little Mia may look great against her friends, and then she gets on a field with zero time/space and players moving at a speed and physicality she can’t handle. Conversely, an athletic girl who runs by or over her peers often finds herself frustrated when meeting a skilled team for the first time.

Comment

I agree with OP premise that it is hard for a parent with untrained eye to differentiate level of play. Little Mia may look great against her friends, and then she gets on a field with zero time/space and players moving at a speed and physicality she can’t handle. Conversely, an athletic girl who runs by or over her peers often finds herself frustrated when meeting a skilled team for the first time.
                Since most parents never played the game or played at a higher level of course it's hard for them to judge. That's why they need to seek out more expert opinions. Your club is a place to start, but of course you have to hope they'll be frank. In the long term clubs are best served placing their players in programs where they will succeed.

Another suggestion is attend an ID event that has several different kinds of schools attending (preferably with zero or very few your kid is interested in). You can see how your player stacks up vs other players and what schools take a shine to them. Spending $150-200 to help improve your targeting is well worth it.

Comment

It’s simple, decide where you think your child fits and then target 2 levels below that. If you’re thinking D1 then definitely D3, if D2 then aim for college club soccer and finally, if D3 there will be an intramural program at school.

Comment

D3 soccer is awful.Its about academics remember.

Comment

We targeted lower D1 camps, then moved to a couple high level D1 schools my daughter was interested in. The coaches pull out the best players for "all star" games often times having them play against known commits. That at least lets you know how the coach views their level of play.
                      What is your lower vs higher definition of D1? When someone says “high” D1, my take is P5 school and when they say “low” then I think the bottom 10 conferences with a vast middle between them. So did your daughter go to a camp with Merrimack in the NEC and then go to Boston College’s ACC camp? Just curious.

Comment

Your from NewEngland odds on P5 is against you realistically.Can count on two hands the number of kids in a decade from MA that went to a P5.Shoot for any of the top 130 and be happy the kid plays.

Comment

What is your lower vs higher definition of D1? When someone says “high” D1, my take is P5 school and when they say “low” then I think the bottom 10 conferences with a vast middle between them. So did your daughter go to a camp with Merrimack in the NEC and then go to Boston College’s ACC camp? Just curious.
                          Started at an American East school, then BC and finished with a team that have been national champs. So 2 P5 schools. She did well. With the feedback from the coaches her confidence grew throughout the experience and was invited back.

Comment

Your from NewEngland odds on P5 is against you realistically.Can count on two hands the number of kids in a decade from MA that went to a P5.Shoot for any of the top 130 and be happy the kid plays.
                            You mean #40-130 since #1-40 are overwhelmingly P5’s? So here in New England “top” D1 for most players would be MAAC (Fairfield), Atlantic 10 (UMass), Northeastern (CAA), UConn (AAC), and any of the NE Ivies if you’re smart and/or coming from an ISL school.

Comment

D3 soccer is awful.Its about academics remember.
                              Some D1 soccer is awful too. Have you been to a URI game?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X