Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not do away with ODP

Given the DAP and ECNL objectives of finding talent and exposing to the next level with eventual progression to our national team pools, wouldn't it be wonderful if CT showed leadership and insight in doing away with ODP and helping to send clear messages to the soccer community.

Yes, I'm aware of the obvious money making scheme for CJSA and associated suppliers, but it seems that this is an opportunity to get on the front side of the curve here, rather than be the last ones to turn the lights out on what appears to be an already irrelevant program nationally.

Relax. She'll probably make the cut next time.

Comment

ODP is what you make of it. For some players it is good extra training for them to focus on their individual skills in an environment that isnt about win at all costs. Club soccer is all about marketing because if you win players will come. If you are looking for some magic way to get your child discovered put down the pipe this is the USA. Obviously, everyone has their own end game for their kids but what is it college, national team, or professional. Think about it this country on the men's side cannot find 11 starters to compete internationally, but you think DAP is going to change that. How's the women's professional leagues doing in this country? Even the women's national team isnt as dominate as it once was because the restof the world is catching up. Until this country adapts a system like in Europe where players are given room and board plus schooling to go along with soccer nothing will ever change. There is more talent in this country that just cannot afford to play in this money driven sport. Even if you could get to play for a fully funded DAP clubh some kids just cannot get the transportation to and from. So people can knock whatever program they want but they are all pretty much the same...Money controls the sport. Find what works for your child and let them enjoy it because in the end 99% of these kids are making a living doing something other than soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Relax. She'll probably make the cut next time.
        Ha ha....my thoughts exactly!

Comment

ODP is what you make of it. For some players it is good extra training for them to focus on their individual skills in an environment that isnt about win at all costs. Club soccer is all about marketing because if you win players will come. If you are looking for some magic way to get your child discovered put down the pipe this is the USA. Obviously, everyone has their own end game for their kids but what is it college, national team, or professional. Think about it this country on the men's side cannot find 11 starters to compete internationally, but you think DAP is going to change that. How's the women's professional leagues doing in this country? Even the women's national team isnt as dominate as it once was because the restof the world is catching up. Until this country adapts a system like in Europe where players are given room and board plus schooling to go along with soccer nothing will ever change. There is more talent in this country that just cannot afford to play in this money driven sport. Even if you could get to play for a fully funded DAP clubh some kids just cannot get the transportation to and from. So people can knock whatever program they want but they are all pretty much the same...Money controls the sport. Find what works for your child and let them enjoy it because in the end 99% of these kids are making a living doing something other than soccer.

Amen Brother.

Comment

Abby Wambach(NY) Junior Flores National U17 team who signed a pro contract in Germany.
            Just to name a few that did ODP programs that went on to a national level.Its a very big list.

On a lower level, Sean T(CT) played for a small Trumbull travel program(NOT PREMIER)
            from my understanding his talent was shown at these venues and it put him on the national level.
            Good luck Sean T.

The clubs are not getting it right and i agree with the reply, its about dollars and CENTS.

Praise the lord brother. She'll probably make the cut next time.

Comment

Wambach played pre ECNL and NPL.

Comment

Sean now plays for the Red Bulls and it is DAP that will give him further exposure, no credit is due ODP past, present, or future. Abby and others may have benefited in the past, but going forward, ECNL is the primary feeder.

While yes I agree the funding is a major issue in the US programs, ODP doesn't help this situation at all. My suggestion is CT show some stones and recognize that ODP has become obsolete. Suggesting that ODP has relevance in feeding our National teams is at best naive and worse, fraud.

Comment

I tend to agree. ODP is no longer delivering on what their stated objective is.

The US Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program was formed in 1977 to identify a pool
                  of players in each age group from which a National Team will be selected for international
                  competition;

Comment

Sean now plays for the Red Bulls and it is DAP that will give him further exposure, no credit is due ODP past, present, or future. Abby and others may have benefited in the past, but going forward, ECNL is the primary feeder.

While yes I agree the funding is a major issue in the US programs, ODP doesn't help this situation at all. My suggestion is CT show some stones and recognize that ODP has become obsolete. Suggesting that ODP has relevance in feeding our National teams is at best naive and worse, fraud.
                    What are the chances for a DAP participant to make the Us national team?

Comment

i played ODP from u14-u17 on the boys side when the pool was 22-24 players in the early 2000's, back then it was just barely legitimate. i was a fringe player on that team. i can only imagine the farce that CT ODP has become. if you're saying its perfect for getting "extra trainings in" you're grasping at straws. that is not ODP's stated purpose or intent. ODP's original purpose is to identify talent and streamline that talent to places where that talent can be actualized.

if kids want to get better individually its technical work outside of the club training with your team on your own. but practicing on one field with 50+ other kids has got to be a joke.

Comment

Ok so lets make it clear again.I know the facts my kid played with him, so this is a topic i,m familiar with.

Sean T was playing with Trumbull travel when he made cut for National camp.
                        How did that happen? answer ODP not Redbulls and not DAP or EDP.
                        These clubs came later, if he didn't go he still would be on National camp roster. Why because he's good. Redbulls is taking credit after the fact.

Do your research and the fact is NYSC got a piece of it too.

I like the comment prior " its to get identified" its that simple.
                        No one says ODP is to develop, i'm assuming we are all sensible to understand that, but keep your kids in premier and give space for the talented ones that get the ODP National and International exposure that awaits them, your loss and if you have female soccer player. Go ahead and be my guest into the travels of CFC united to Chicago and Yankee to California. If your kid is not all that, why bother, you just making club owners rich.

Comment

For your information Abby played NY ODP he's right.

Abby Wambach - Inducted 2011 ODP hall of fame

Abby began playing soccer at the early age of four in Rochester, NY. In her first youth soccer league, after reportedly scoring twenty-seven goals, she was transferred from a girls team to a boys team. Abby went on to play for the New York State West Youth Soccer Association and in the Region I ODP Program. Following her high school graduation, Abby attended the University of Florida adding an NCAA Championship to her resume in 1988. IN 2002, Abby was drafted by the the Washington Freedom. The very year, the Freedom won the WUSA Championship and Abby was named MVP. Abby's WUSA awards brought her to the National spotlight and garnered her an invitation to the US Women's National Team training camp where she was selected to the 2003 Women's World Cup team. The rest is history as she continues to be one of best strikers in the women's game. Abby continues to visit her roots back home in Rochester and is an idol to thousands of young girls in US Youth Soccer.

Comment

Praise the lord.

She'll make the cut next time.

Comment

How about this, if you don't like it, don't do it. Pretty simple. My son plays ODP and enjoys it. He understands that it's a second tier program, but who cares, because he enjoys it. No more, no less. Also, his ODP coach is very good and he has learned a lot from this experience and has brought that experience back to his club. What's wrong with that?

Lastly, there's always more than a single way to the top, if you're good enough. Sometimes it takes a road less travel for some players to make it. Why would anyone want to restrict these additional pathways to success. Unless, your afraid that someone elses kid might take your childs ECNL or DAP spot, if they are able to progress elsewhere.

The USA is too large of a geographical area to maintain only a single way to the top. It's not like there's a professional club in every town that has it's own youth program. Not everyone can drive the distances that are sometimes necessary to travel in order to be apart of either DAP or ECNL. Also, it appears from prior posts that DAP and ECNL clubs cherry pick players from the ODP program.

As far as the costs associated with ODP, I think CJSA could do a little better in reducing the costs associated with the program. If the rumors are true, they have enough cash.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X