2013 Boys Soccer Verbal Commitments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks to me like lotta kids were not as good as parents thought. Lol. Where did all the superstars go? So typical. Lotta dreams crushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      i bet not many got over a 50% scholarship.
      That is never at issue. Men's soccer is limited to 9 scholarships. That is spread over +/- 30 players and 4 years. Ex: If 1 player got a 4yr full ride that would leave only 8 for the rest of the players over 4 years. It's not 9 new ones ea yr, just 9 total. Point being, there Never is large amounts of money available for men's soccer, so why the gloating. Should US Universities just abolish varsity soccer and stick to intramural?

Comment

i bet not many got over a 50% scholarship. pay to play. plus all those club fees. lol.
        What are you "lol"-ing about? Just a stupid comment. How about the fact that there are some fantastic schools on this list....and in many, if not most cases, the player would have either not been accepted at these schools or had a much tougher time being accepted at these schools without having differentiated themselves from the thousands of other students applying to these schools. Scholarship or no scholarship, I bet most of the players on this list feel pretty good about their accomplishment. And you shouldn't be belittling it at all.

Comment

What are you "lol"-ing about? Just a stupid comment. How about the fact that there are some fantastic schools on this list....and in many, if not most cases, the player would have either not been accepted at these schools or had a much tougher time being accepted at these schools without having differentiated themselves from the thousands of other students applying to these schools. Scholarship or no scholarship, I bet most of the players on this list feel pretty good about their accomplishment. And you shouldn't be belittling it at all.
          Totally agree. And the point of this last little bit here was that the 2013 year looks very strong compared to the numbers from the past 5 years. Will be interesting to see how many make an impact as freshmen. College coaches are very willing to supplant upperclassmen with freshmen if the freshmen can play. Sometimes it is actually harder to get time in the junior and senior years, which of course is very different from the high school years.

Comment

Agree. Some dimwits think it's all about the scholarship. How many of these kids do you think would have gotten into the top notch schools without the soccer advantage? Few, regardless of how strong their academic record is since they are competing for a spot with thousands of other students who have similar or better academic records. If club soccer helped usher them through admissions, then it was well worth it, scholarship or not.

And hell, they may have even loved playing club soccer in and of itself. Imagine that! Some dolts can't.

Comment

Another parent living the dream. Is yur kid on the list. Why are you here. Live the dream. Lol.

Comment

Another parent living the dream. Is yur kid on the list. Why are you here. Live the dream. Lol.
                What a dope.

Comment

my son just got back from soccer camp at a college he's interested in academically and for soccer. his dorm neighbor, who is an incoming freshman to the school and recruit to the school's soccer program, was told at the camp that he won't get a spot on the roster. is it possible that this kid has barely stepped foot on the campus and after a 3 day camp the coach is already cutting him? my son is just entering his sophomore year in high school so we're not especially informed about the recruiting process but this seems crazy and I wonder if my son got the story wrong.

Comment

only go to a camp after you have met the coach and are really interested in the school. otherwise you are wasting your money. lotta bad coaches out there. money is tough to get. be realistic.

Comment

With respect to the previous post saying only to go to a camp AFTER meeting a coach, I disagree. In our family's experience, the camp can be a very good place to meet the coach. Our players have typically signed up for the camp, then corresponded with the coach to let him/her know the player is coming and about the player's interest, and then used the camp to meet the coach and express further interest.

As for the story about the player being cut during summer camp, it sounds a bit harsh. However, I've heard of freshman players being cut during training camp before the season starts. Your son might inquire whether the player was "really" recruited, or more of a "recruited walk-on."

Comment

my son just got back from soccer camp at a college he's interested in academically and for soccer. his dorm neighbor, who is an incoming freshman to the school and recruit to the school's soccer program, was told at the camp that he won't get a spot on the roster. is it possible that this kid has barely stepped foot on the campus and after a 3 day camp the coach is already cutting him? my son is just entering his sophomore year in high school so we're not especially informed about the recruiting process but this seems crazy and I wonder if my son got the story wrong.
                        Your son got the story correct. My son is an incoming freshman at the same college and told us the story. The player is upset, but has set his sights on improving and playing. Remember, it's also about the school and not just the soccer.

Comment

Looks to me like lotta kids were not as good as parents thought. Lol. Where did all the superstars go? So typical. Lotta dreams crushed.
                          Not true. If you knew anything about this class, you wouldn't make stupid comments like this. Many of these boys selected their college/university for the academics and student life first and then connected with the coach for soccer. Soccer is only a piece of the experience and the majority of these boys, and their parents, are smart enough to understand that. My guess, you were the one that got crushed!

Comment

Your son got the story correct. My son is an incoming freshman at the same college and told us the story. The player is upset, but has set his sights on improving and playing. Remember, it's also about the school and not just the soccer.
                            I assume we're talking about a D3, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by dd2 View Post
                              As for the story about the player being cut during summer camp, it sounds a bit harsh. However, I've heard of freshman players being cut during training camp before the season starts. Your son might inquire whether the player was "really" recruited, or more of a "recruited walk-on."
                              "Cutting" a player after summer camp who had expressed an interest in walking on is not that unusual. If the coach knows the player cannot make his team, there is no reason to have that player show up to school early for preseason. Why wait to cut the kid 3 days into preseason practice and force him/her to leave campus and return later with the other incoming freshman class?

Comment

A kid going into sophomore year of HS is a bit young for a college evaluation. Kids at that age often have some physical development to go, so going into Junior year is usually best. The purpose of those camps and this list is to calibrate folks like you as to when to start and who is going where. If your son wants to play, you need to think carefully about the level he can play at. The 2013 list of Div1's is surprisingly large, and it is not likely many will play a lot.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X