Town soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 3 elements needed for athletic success. A great body, great technical ability and great desire. It doesn't matter whether you play in a town program or a club program if you don't have the body and desire and if you do, it really doesn't matter whether you play for the town or for a club because the desire will always overcome any teaching deficiencies that the environment might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It definitely depends. My u13 son refuses to play with his Town team any more mostly because he says the boys aren't serious about soccer. He prefers his Club team.
      That's a big reason all my players eventually left town - the level of commitment just wasn't there. They got tired of players not showing up because they had another sport, no one ever wanting to do tournaments because they wanted the holiday weekend free. They've thrived in a more serious and committed environment - on top of the better coaching, competition, etc.

Comment

all i know is my kid who is constantly being recruited from top clubs at u14 prefers to play travel over club and says his travel coach is much more knowledgeable and makes it fun for the kids. says club coach has no real interest in the players and is mostly on his phone

all depends
        If your kid knows the coach is always on his phone he's not working hard enough in practice or games.

Comment

It definitely depends. My u13 son refuses to play with his Town team any more mostly because he says the boys aren't serious about soccer. He prefers his Club team.
          bizarre - alwasys found boys were most interested and focused at 14

Comment

That's a big reason all my players eventually left town - the level of commitment just wasn't there. They got tired of players not showing up because they had another sport, no one ever wanting to do tournaments because they wanted the holiday weekend free. They've thrived in a more serious and committed environment - on top of the better coaching, competition, etc.
            because a club is making tons of money and coaches are getting paid, does not mean the kids are getting better coaching. just paying a lot more money nice uniforms and perception. sees so many travel teams beat up very average CLUB teams

Comment

That's what I grew up playing...and played D1 college.

I'm following that model for my kids. Soccer is great activity. New hire college grads at my company make $100k. What's the MLS starting salary? Save the bs club money and take a family vacation. Why pay their salaries?

Love to hear the crazies (club coaches) argue about this one.....
              You probably didn't use a computer growing up. You keeping your kids away from technology as well as club soccer?

Comment

because a club is making tons of money and coaches are getting paid, does not mean the kids are getting better coaching. just paying a lot more money nice uniforms and perception. sees so many travel teams beat up very average CLUB teams
                Varies a great deal but not in our case - top club, coaches, training. Oldest just signed NLI this week. There are definitely some dogs out there that just threw up a sign and called themselves "premier." Many of the players that end up at those pseudo-clubs would be better served on travel.

Comment

That's what I grew up playing...and played D1 college.

I'm following that model for my kids. Soccer is great activity. New hire college grads at my company make $100k. What's the MLS starting salary? Save the bs club money and take a family vacation. Why pay their salaries?

Love to hear the crazies (club coaches) argue about this one.....
                  In today's world. Zero chance.
                  Not 1 local D1 player has played town soccer only in the pat 5 years.(boy's side)
                  Go ahead, Prove me wrong.

Comment

In today's world. Zero chance.
                    Not 1 local D1 player has played town soccer only in the pat 5 years.(boy's side)
                    Go ahead, Prove me wrong.
                    Could simply be a false positive. Happens all the time. Here's the thing... Except for a very small few (DAP and maybe a few others), all young men and women who play D1 in college also play for their high school team. Some private, some public. How is public high school soccer that much different? It's a town team. Try and tell me it's not.

Some of the best athletes still play several sports. That would make it really hard to play HS soccer (town), plus basketball, track, baseball, etc. and a club soccer team.

Club teams capitalize on marketing, so of course a club team would say that you'd never play any level of college without club. It's also true that many/most/all D1 coaches are affiliated with Clubs so there is a further network effect. It's in the best interest to push clubs because they are paying salaries.

Comment

Could simply be a false positive. Happens all the time. Here's the thing... Except for a very small few (DAP and maybe a few others), all young men and women who play D1 in college also play for their high school team. Some private, some public. How is public high school soccer that much different? It's a town team. Try and tell me it's not.

Some of the best athletes still play several sports. That would make it really hard to play HS soccer (town), plus basketball, track, baseball, etc. and a club soccer team.

Club teams capitalize on marketing, so of course a club team would say that you'd never play any level of college without club. It's also true that many/most/all D1 coaches are affiliated with Clubs so there is a further network effect. It's in the best interest to push clubs because they are paying salaries.
                      On the boy's side, absolutely no one goes on to play collegiate D1 soccer from only high school play. They are not even watched anymore... by anyone. Different times my friend.

Comment

Varies a great deal but not in our case - top club, coaches, training. Oldest just signed NLI this week. There are definitely some dogs out there that just threw up a sign and called themselves "premier." Many of the players that end up at those pseudo-clubs would be better served on travel.
                        But what if their town's travel sucks? There are as significant variations in the quality of town travel programs as there are in club programs--maybe even greater. So, don't leave a "pseudo" club to join a "pseudo" town travel team, and vice versa. You need to actually figure out what your kid wants, and find an environment that might deliver it.

Comment

95 percent of kids suck - going no where if they are playing on club or travel - better coaches or better competition not going to matter - thy still suck and the clubs know that.

just lots of rich people who want give their money to make club owners rich and feel they are helping their kids

not happening most club kids miserable. who wants to play keep away for every minute of practice

Wise up - these fees should be 70% less

Comment

95 percent of kids suck - going no where if they are playing on club or travel - better coaches or better competition not going to matter - thy still suck and the clubs know that.

just lots of rich people who want give their money to make club owners rich and feel they are helping their kids

not happening most club kids miserable. who wants to play keep away for every minute of practice

Fees won't go down until demand dries up.

Comment

Ha! We are not playing "keep away"--we are reinforcing our 'possession-based' club-style of play, you townie philistine! That way when we get a three goal lead against the crappy teams in our division (who really SHOULD be playing town soccer) we can "move the ball" and "possess". That is our club philosophy: make sure everyone watching knows we are playing a superior brand of football. (That and make sure the kids wear the brand, and that the moms are MICFs--Moms I'd Consider...yeah, its a step down, but you know, market share ain't what it was...) Oh, and our fees are VERY reasonable, and payment plans are available. Ask your TM.

Comment

Ha! We are not playing "keep away"--we are reinforcing our 'possession-based' club-style of play, you townie philistine! That way when we get a three goal lead against the crappy teams in our division (who really SHOULD be playing town soccer) we can "move the ball" and "possess". That is our club philosophy: make sure everyone watching knows we are playing a superior brand of football. (That and make sure the kids wear the brand, and that the moms are MICFs--Moms I'd Consider...yeah, its a step down, but you know, market share ain't what it was...) Oh, and our fees are VERY reasonable, and payment plans are available. Ask your TM.
                                Last two very funny and spot on. Also, what happens when town clubs bring in revs and localize training. No crazy commutes to four kicks in rush hour - no Lancaster-shire every weekend. It will happen. Let the coaches commute to the players. Club soccer will localize again once the town club teams get organized. Then it gets interesting

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X