Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No surprise at all. Will be the same with girls DA. Need to have multiple profitable teams to cover the loss (or maybe break even) on DA teams. In other words they'll have to be big. That's why I'm not so sure all boys DA clubs are thrilled about girls. Take a smaller DA club like Oakwood - I think they only field one team per age group outside of DA. How can that cover the subsidies of TWO DA programs?
    The U12 DA will most likely not be fully funded. Just like Bolts. It's still pay to play!

Comment

big win for Bayside!

Comment

The Ne Revolution are in fact assembling a 2004 team (U12). I am in the loop, as they say.
        They are not. You're loop has no clue.

Comment

I am NOT in the loop (and don’t even care other than passing interest), but it would appear implausible that the Revs would NOT be part of the expansion into U12 play.

Think about it logically. The USDA institutes a new age level (and one within the sweet spot of the window of player development at that) and, in an effort to minimize travel—as well as to “cast a wider net”—opens its otherwise restricted universe to non-member clubs. Besides using these clubs (that’s another thread) how would the USDA reconcile the “message” broadcast by one its own—and one of the MLS franchises at that!—not participating while those outside do?

In any case, if this reasoning is flawed or not enough, the USDA said this (emphasis mine): “Beginning with the 2016-17 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Season, 56 youth clubs from across the country will join 78 existing Academy member clubs at the U-12 level to create a total of 134 clubs that will develop players in key markets throughout the United States.”

(I would assume the 2 out of 80 clubs excluded are the two Canadian outposts?)

And if I am wrong…and the Revs actually choose not to have U12 teams (plural…as each club is supposed to field two 13-player teams!)…isn’t that a pretty hefty repudiation of the whole “developing national team players” goal and shared philosophy entailed that is the foremost mission of the USDA?

Comment

Absolutely, USDA is the BOSS.

Originally posted by ForzaAzzurri View Post
            I am NOT in the loop (and don’t even care other than passing interest), but it would appear implausible that the Revs would NOT be part of the expansion into U12 play.

Think about it logically. The USDA institutes a new age level (and one within the sweet spot of the window of player development at that) and, in an effort to minimize travel—as well as to “cast a wider net”—opens its otherwise restricted universe to non-member clubs. Besides using these clubs (that’s another thread) how would the USDA reconcile the “message” broadcast by one its own—and one of the MLS franchises at that!—not participating while those outside do?

In any case, if this reasoning is flawed or not enough, the USDA said this (emphasis mine): “Beginning with the 2016-17 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Season, 56 youth clubs from across the country will join 78 existing Academy member clubs at the U-12 level to create a total of 134 clubs that will develop players in key markets throughout the United States.”

And if I am wrong…and the Revs actually choose not to have U12 teams (plural…as each club is supposed to field two 13-player teams!)…isn’t that a pretty hefty repudiation of the whole “developing national team players” goal and shared philosophy entailed that is the foremost mission of the USDA?

Comment

With that many clubs at the younger ages the Revs bowing out won't have any impact. They've often colored outside the lines with no blowback. Only way they add younger groups is if they are absolutely forced to, but with the only MLS badge in the area they hold the leverage. The Revs are good aggregators but I'm not convinced they're good developers. I'd only have a younger player participate if it were in my backyard.

Question: any word on how they'll handle multisport kids at these ages? Most won't be playing school sports but plenty still play other sports. No way I would have let my kid give up other things when he was that young. Having a no conflict rule (soccer is your #1 priority no matter what) is one thing but many DA teams all but tell you "you come here with batteries charged 110% each and every practice and game. If you get injured doing something else you won't get any sympathy here." if they're practicing just as much as the older teams, it makes doing other sports tough.

Comment

They are not. You're loop has no clue.
                Really? Several 2004 boys have already committed to Revs U12 for Fall 2016. (in writing)

Comment

Really? Several 2004 boys have already committed to Revs U12 for Fall 2016. (in writing)
                  Interesting, because I speak with GH fairly frequently and when asked, he told me there would be no U12 team. BTW, my son is U14 so it wouldn't effect me either way.

Comment

So sad.

Comment

Question: any word on how they'll handle multisport kids at these ages? Most won't be playing school sports but plenty still play other sports. No way I would have let my kid give up other things when he was that young. Having a no conflict rule (soccer is your #1 priority no matter what) is one thing but many DA teams all but tell you "you come here with batteries charged 110% each and every practice and game. If you get injured doing something else you won't get any sympathy here." if they're practicing just as much as the older teams, it makes doing other sports tough.
                      I would imagine the program won't have a hard fast rule against participating in other sports, but that players will be expected to be at all practices and games. Practices will be at least three times a week, so if your kid is playing another sport competitively with a time commitment, he'll probably have to make a choice between the two. If he just wants to do a rec sport in the fall & spring along with DAP, he might have time to fit that in if practices don't conflict. Winter sports might work out, as well, since one soccer practice is usually dropped when they go indoors.

The DAP program at this age will be for those kids who really love soccer and spend a lot of time on it, so most of the players making the team won't have any issue giving up other sports to focus on soccer. If your kid is on the fence about which sport he wants to commit to, which is completely normal at this age, he should wait a couple years and could join at U14 with one of the full DAP clubs if he chooses to go with soccer.

Comment

I would imagine the program won't have a hard fast rule against participating in other sports, but that players will be expected to be at all practices and games. Practices will be at least three times a week, so if your kid is playing another sport competitively with a time commitment, he'll probably have to make a choice between the two. If he just wants to do a rec sport in the fall & spring along with DAP, he might have time to fit that in if practices don't conflict. Winter sports might work out, as well, since one soccer practice is usually dropped when they go indoors.

The DAP program at this age will be for those kids who really love soccer and spend a lot of time on it, so most of the players making the team won't have any issue giving up other sports to focus on soccer. If your kid is on the fence about which sport he wants to commit to, which is completely normal at this age, he should wait a couple years and could join at U14 with one of the full DAP clubs if he chooses to go with soccer.

How many sixth graders are ready to make a decision like this? I get the feeling that most of the boys decisions will be greatly influenced by overbearing parents.
                        You don't have to go far to see that there are some crazy parents out there...just read some of the other posts on this site.

Comment

With that many clubs at the younger ages the Revs bowing out won't have any impact. They've often colored outside the lines with no blowback. Only way they add younger groups is if they are absolutely forced to, but with the only MLS badge in the area they hold the leverage. The Revs are good aggregators but I'm not convinced they're good developers. I'd only have a younger player participate if it were in my backyard.

Their directive (with regard to this new U12 program) explicitly states "No participation in other soccer competitions..."

At the same time, they also mention their intent to avoid specialization (in soccer) at this key age and are thus accepting of players engaging in OTHER (again, non-soccer) activities.

But how each coach/club handles absences due to such conflicts is of course another matter.

Comment

Just Saying

To say that 2004's have signed in writing for U12 DA team is false, as 04's will be pushed up to U13 Fall of 2016. 2005's are the Calendar year for U12 of Fall 2016.

That is all.

Comment

Their directive (with regard to this new U12 program) explicitly states "No participation in other soccer competitions..."

At the same time, they also mention their intent to avoid specialization (in soccer) at this key age and are thus accepting of players engaging in OTHER (again, non-soccer) activities.

But how each coach/club handles absences due to such conflicts is of course another matter.
                              no soccer commitments is fine, and certainly reasonable. But you're right about the rest - some coaches/programs will be hard ***** about it, others will not be. Realistically it won't be easy to do it plus another high level sport except maybe winter basketball when there isn't as much soccer going on.

Comment

How many sixth graders are ready to make a decision like this? I get the feeling that most of the boys decisions will be greatly influenced by overbearing parents.
                                You don't have to go far to see that there are some crazy parents out there...just read some of the other posts on this site.
                                I think you are underestimating the current number of single sport soccer players out there. On my kid's U10 club team alone, about half the kids are soccer only (and may do one season of another sport in a low key rec league). Most of these kids are not soccer only due to their parents, I know we try every season to get my kid to try basketball or baseball, but he has no interest at all and won't even watch those sports on TV.

If this is representative of other club teams, especially at the most competitive levels, then a U12 DAP club will be able to easily find 26 of these types of kids willing to commit to soccer for their new programs. Since the clubs invited to the U12 DAP programs are already some of the most competitive in the region, they could probably fill half of those spots with their own players (think about Valeo, do you doubt kids playing in that environment will have an issue giving up their rec touch football league in the fall?). Again, those truly multisport kids that are talented enough soccer players can join a full DAP program at an older age when they are ready to commit to soccer, if that's the sport they choose.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X