JD obsession with keeping NEFC out of ECNL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go with selling the Star based upon commitments yet again. Sorry but there is plenty of evidence now that a sizable number of those commitments will never play for those schools and either transfer or quite soccer altogether so it's a tired act.

Comment

in fact most don't, fc stars is great if you want your kid to hate soccer, go to a school where they don't play and transfer schools sophomore year. At least they can put crap on their website, so it's all good

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Here we go with selling the Star based upon commitments yet again. Sorry but there is plenty of evidence now that a sizable number of those commitments will never play for those schools and either transfer or quite soccer altogether so it's a tired act.
        Thank you for your testimonial, BTDT. Good to see you still so involved with Mass youth soccer. A Lifetime Achievement Award is in your future.

Comment

Your evidence from a friend of a friend of a broker, BTDT/BTNT?

Comment

But I thought that NEFC didn't want or need ECNL, and that they were much better off without ECNL? How could that be? Could it actually be true that ECNL is by far the premier league in the US, and JD was hurting a local competitor by locking them out?

My head hurts from all the double talk coming out of the NEFC Marketing Dept. Something major must be afoot, if they need to act this desperate.
            Here is the deal. TWO clubs only will come out of any state. In order for NEFC to enter the league, the Scorpions or whatever they are called today, would need to be kicked out. So far, removing clubs from the ECNL and the Boys DAP have been few and far between. It isn't JD's fault. He doesn't run the ECNL. Scorpions got in on the ground floor when they were a competitive force.

Something else to chew on. NEFC should be careful what it wishes for. Scorpions were a legit club, but when faced with a choice of two clubs in the same league, parents decided Stars were a better option. NEFC has built its following as a good alternative to Stars and the ECNL. If they ever ended up in the same league, the same result would likely happen.

Comment

Perhaps that is true but wouldn't the Stars start to lose credibility with these college coaches if they continue to advocate for players that don't pan out? You can only hype vapor ware for so long.

Comment

If I ran Stars and committed 49 girls and 19 boys from the class of 2015, across a range of academic and athletic institutions, I would publicize it. As a rival I tip my cap to them. But the notion they "promote" nearly 70 kids is not true. There aren't enough hours in the day and staff hired. They provide the teams, coaches and training environment. It is the responsibility of the players and parents to pursue a good academic and soccer fit.

And it is true sometimes Stars players transfer or drop the sport. It seems like it happens often because a few high profile kids have done so. But as a percentage of players placed it is not all that often, and no more likely than other clubs placing their players in competitive D1 programs, which aren't exactly welcoming, nurturing environments.

Comment

If I ran Stars and committed 49 girls and 19 boys from the class of 2015, across a range of academic and athletic institutions, I would publicize it. As a rival I tip my cap to them. But the notion they "promote" nearly 70 kids is not true. There aren't enough hours in the day and staff hired. They provide the teams, coaches and training environment. It is the responsibility of the players and parents to pursue a good academic and soccer fit.

And it is true sometimes Stars players transfer or drop the sport. It seems like it happens often because a few high profile kids have done so. But as a percentage of players placed it is not all that often, and no more likely than other clubs placing their players in competitive D1 programs, which aren't exactly welcoming, nurturing environments.
                  The history shows that while they may have players commit at a high rate, the number of those players that go on to make a substantial contribution in college is not really any different from other clubs in the area. Their "bust' rate is very high which says something about the quality of their club wide recruiting program.

Comment

The history shows that while they may have players commit at a high rate, the number of those players that go on to make a substantial contribution in college is not really any different from other clubs in the area. Their "bust' rate is very high which says something about the quality of their club wide recruiting program.
                    It doesn't say anything about Stars club wide recruiting. As you stated, the number of players that make a substantial contribution is not really any different from other clubs. Stars places more players. They place more at high levels. I don't like the term 'bust' rate, because these kids have already succeeded by being offered opportunities to compete for a spot, many entering very competitive, cutthroat environments.

What we don't read enough about on T-S or from the Stars PR machine are the quiet successes. Not every player will lead their college team in scoring, earn a NT or professional contract, or be named D3 midfielder of the year. Plenty of players log substantial minutes and contribute over their careers and these players toil in relative anonymity. These kids benefit from the college athletic experience just as much, and in the case of those facing challenges, arguably more so, than those in the spotlight earning the accolades.

Comment

It doesn't say anything about Stars club wide recruiting. As you stated, the number of players that make a substantial contribution is not really any different from other clubs. Stars places more players. They place more at high levels. I don't like the term 'bust' rate, because these kids have already succeeded by being offered opportunities to compete for a spot, many entering very competitive, cutthroat environments.

What we don't read enough about on T-S or from the Stars PR machine are the quiet successes. Not every player will lead their college team in scoring, earn a NT or professional contract, or be named D3 midfielder of the year. Plenty of players log substantial minutes and contribute over their careers and these players toil in relative anonymity. These kids benefit from the college athletic experience just as much, and in the case of those facing challenges, arguably more so, than those in the spotlight earning the accolades.
                      Home run! Thanks.

Comment

Nice post, top college cultures seem a world apart from being the star for 6 years for one coach and having the same starting team mates during that time. It's great that these kids are getting the placements, enviable, but how many parents actually come on here and pass on the reality of the grind to play once there. Can't be all roses.

Look at the freshman class that just finished out the year. At BC you have a fresh who's making an impact and then at Penn another who never leaves the field but what about the others who grind it out in training for 8 minutes a game and are looking over their shoulder wondering if as soph year will bring something better. It just shows how deep talent is out there.

Comment

exactly. i warn parents that their kid has to arrive at college in the best physical, mental and playing shape of their lives to impress the coaches enough to carve out a spot on the field. if not, it is a long 4 years.

and even so, winning a spot as a freshman is no guarantee. they have to stay sharp, avoid injury, and hope another better player doesn't show up, which can happen as quickly as spring of their freshman year. being versatile, able to play various positions all over the field is a huge plus.

Comment

exactly. i warn parents that their kid has to arrive at college in the best physical, mental and playing shape of their lives to impress the coaches enough to carve out a spot on the field. if not, it is a long 4 years.

and even so, winning a spot as a freshman is no guarantee. they have to stay sharp, avoid injury, and hope another better player doesn't show up, which can happen as quickly as spring of their freshman year. being versatile, able to play various positions all over the field is a huge plus.
                            I would suggest that every parent with a child who has committed to a college program take them out and have them run a beep test. If they are not getting somewhere near what that college program is expecting (national team is looking for high 40's) then their kid is in for a tough awakening. Parents should know that a D1 scholarship level soccer player is generally going to be putting in roughly 4-5 hours per week on just strength and conditioning so if your kid is not matching that work rate they are going to have trouble competing with them.
                            Last edited by beentheredonethat; 01-31-2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

This is BIG TIME Loser mentality. There are plenty of good mass players to support several teams. We don't need to win the national title to be successful. Developing more players on multiple teams will be way better than one perceived TOP team. Having 2-3 teams in MA gives parents and kids a better environment where they have choice (NO monopolies) and where good coaching/development will be rewarded. Today (wanting to play ECNL) if I live in the South Shore, I can only play for Breakers and if I live in Western MA, I can only play for Stars. Making practices for the other team is doable but difficult. Had NEFC and another team been included, then there would have been more possible/reasonable choices. If my kid didn't like the coach for the Breakers, then he could have tried NEFC or vice versa.

This type of thinking permeates Little League where towns try to merge leagues just so they can make Williamsport....arrrgghhh!
                              Sounds like your kids team doesn't travel out of state much. Stay in state and brag about being NEP or Maple state champs.

Comment

But I thought that NEFC didn't want or need ECNL, and that they were much better off without ECNL? How could that be? Could it actually be true that ECNL is by far the premier league in the US, and JD was hurting a local competitor by locking them out?

My head hurts from all the double talk coming out of the NEFC Marketing Dept. Something major must be afoot, if they need to act this desperate.
                                Then go take a couple of Advil and stop your ******* & moaning.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X